Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Here's something else for you to peruse

With all the growth in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit, I'm surprised Stephenson's didn't make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
[quote=MRG Dallas;27020176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I was way way way up, in the driver's seat of my van, parked along Truman Road at Woodland (across from the original San). Truman Road does have quite a drop, but the zoom lense makes it look much steeper than reality. My target was actually downtown KC. Twice a year for several weeks the rising sun aligns such that the buildings take on an orange glow. Later I did get a much better view of that scene from high atop... well, y'all can guess where I took this from!

Atop 435, looking westbound?
Much higher!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;27021374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Much higher!

From I-70 ramp?

From a radio/TV tower?

From an office building?

Otherwise.....elephino.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
I was way way way up, in the driver's seat of my van, parked along Truman Road at Woodland (across from the original San). Truman Road does have quite a drop, but the zoom lense makes it look much steeper than reality. My target was actually downtown KC. Twice a year for several weeks the rising sun aligns such that the buildings take on an orange glow. Later I did get a much better view of that scene from high atop... well, y'all can guess where I took this from!

It was indeed, although in the mid to late 1970s we referred to it as Rob'n'go, due to the number of armed robberies they suffered.
[quote=MRG Dallas;27022211]
Quote:

From I-70 ramp?

From a radio/TV tower?

From an office building?

Otherwise.....elephino.

Y
ou know, I saw an elephino once. It was UG L Y!!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
There is an article in the Examiner today concerning the annual Christmas tree lighting on Independence Square.

The gist of the item was that a lifelong residence of Independence had never attended the ceremonial lighting until last Saturday when she attended for the first time. Surprised me, but I have never attended either. I was not even aware of a community event like this.

Apparently, this tradition started sometime around 1968. I did not see any attendance figures of how many people congregated on the square for the local ceremony.

One of the highlights this year was that the Colorado tree being driven to Washington DC for the National Christmas Tree was parked at Main and Maple for the Square lighting ceremony.

When the tree left Colorado I chortled at the report that former Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell was driving the truck, but according to the Examiner article, he really is driving.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 AM

[quote=SilverDoc;27022722]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

You know, I saw an elephino once. It was UG L Y!!
I took the shot from atop my elephino atop the Stone Arch Bridge.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;27028761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

I took the shot from atop my elephino atop the Stone Arch Bridge.
Is that the one where Blue Ridge Blvd. crosses Truman?

If so, I was "Walking" Truman over the weekend and saw that (had forgotten it), then once on the west side remembered a funny story when a couple of college pals from St. Louis were in town for a game. Hint: there were some "massage parlors" just on the other side. Their wallets were considerably lighter after their visit. Or should I say, their credit card balances were considerably higher.

Edit: Just found this link

http://bridgehunter.com/mo/jackson/blue-ridge/

Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM

[quote=MRG Dallas;27029176]
Quote:

Is that the one where Blue Ridge Blvd. crosses Truman?

If so, I was "Walking" Truman over the weekend and saw that (had forgotten it), then once on the west side remembered a funny story when a couple of college pals from St. Louis were in town for a game. Hint: there were some "massage parlors" just on the other side. Their wallets were considerably lighter after their visit. Or should I say, their credit card balances were considerably higher.

Edit: Just found this link

Bridgehunter.com | Blue Ridge Bridge
That's the one! My Beloved's grandfather and great-grandfather were stone masons that helped build that beautiful bridge.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;27028761][quote=SilverDoc;27022722]

I took the shot from atop my elephino atop the Stone Arch Bridge.[/quot

What camera and what size zoom lens did you use to take these photos?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Where is the highest elevation point in Kansas City, MO?

For the KC Metro Area, the intersection of Truman Rd and Main Street in Independence, MO may very well the highest place. From there you can easily see the buildings of downtown KC to the west and one can see past the Independence Power & Light smokestack, which is close to Blue Springs.

If you are standing on the stone arch bridge on Blue Ridge Blvd at Truman road you will be standing on the highest point in the metro. I use the term "metro" because at that point, it is Jackson county Missouri, a community called Inner city, dog patch, or Blue Summit. It was incorporated for a while in the late 60's but didn't last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City