Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

[quote=MRG Dallas;27196017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

It was one of those eerie nights as a kid I just remember, but not all the details. I recall the announcement, the radio voice delivering the bad news, then telling my Dad when he came home. But that it happened while on air/on break, was what I failed to recall. I take it no one replied to your email at the site you mentioned? Richard Ward Fatherly would have been a great source, he was Mr. WHB. I tried to find his old site recently to no avail. Too bad because it had all sorts of trivia and info and a five minute or so audio of WHB jingles, news, and contest announcements.
No one replied. It is a site dedicated to Fatherly that talks about a suicide. But they want me to pay to enter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
[quote=WCHS'59;27196840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

No one replied. It is a site dedicated to Fatherly that talks about a suicide. But they want me to pay to enter.
For those who like to wax nostalgic visit this link. It is a collection of radio jingles from the 1950s. WHB is at about 2:35.

http://www.pams.com/audio/sampler4.mp3

Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;27209023]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

For those who like to wax nostalgic visit this link. It is a collection of radio jingles from the 1950s. WHB is at about 2:35.

http://www.pams.com/audio/sampler4.mp3
I've been on the PAMS site before but not sure I've heard that mix. Ironically, when I was doing my WHB research I discovered PAMS was the outfit that recorded all the jingles and was right here in Dallas. Its site had several photos of the singers and studios, along with audio. In fact, I think it too sells a CD collection of hit jingles. Many of them had the same tunes save for the inter-changeable station call letters.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,201 times
Found this photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-waggoner-gates-milling-co.-paper-tag.jpg  

Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Here's something I ran across and thought someone might be interested:

Old Green Handle Creamery Co Ice Pick Independence MO | eBay

Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Here's something I ran across and thought someone might be interested:

Old Green Handle Creamery Co Ice Pick Independence MO | eBay

Quite interesting, Doc. Since I am "waxing nostalgic" tonite I found in 1924 Polk's the Independence Ice & Crearmery Co., with a well-known list of officers:

Henry J Ott, Pres
AJ Bundschu, VP
Ray Smith, Secy
Albert M Ott, Treas

Its regular listing says "Ice, Ice Cream & Butter" and the address is "Willis cor Hayward" Phone Indep 447

Its 2" x 4" ad lists:

Ray E. Smith, Manager
"Distilled and Raw Water Ice"
"HY-GRADE Butter"
"HY-GRADE Ice Cream"

I went to see where Willis/Hayward is, and sure enough, the building is still there: 643 S. Willis (south of the Amtrak station). It is now home to "Furniture R&R" green canopy out front. Along the side you can still see the faded painting "Home HY-GRADE Ice Cream" (and more too small to make out).

For 1912, all I could find was Independence Ice & Cold Storage, no address and none of the officers surnames rang a bell.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Quite interesting, Doc. Since I am "waxing nostalgic" tonite I found in 1924 Polk's the Independence Ice & Crearmery Co., with a well-known list of officers:

Henry J Ott, Pres
AJ Bundschu, VP
Ray Smith, Secy
Albert M Ott, Treas

Its regular listing says "Ice, Ice Cream & Butter" and the address is "Willis cor Hayward" Phone Indep 447

Its 2" x 4" ad lists:

Ray E. Smith, Manager
"HY-GRADE Butter"
"HY-GRADE Ice Cream"

I went to see where Willis/Hayward is, and sure enough, the building is still there: 643 S. Willis (south of the Amtrak station). It is now home to "Furniture R&R" green canopy out front. Along the side you can still see the faded painting "Home HY-GRADE Ice Cream" (and more too small to make out).

For 1912, all I could find was Independence Ice & Cold Storage, no address and none of the officers surnames rang a bell.

I'm pretty sure that Independence Ice & Cold Storage was in the vicinity, and might even have been the previous occupant of that same building, which would make sense. The building would need a freezer, whether for ice or ice cream. Here's a shot:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-hygrade-ice-cream-northeast-corner-s.  

Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Henry J Ott, Pres
AJ Bundschu, VP
Ray Smith, Secy
Albert M Ott, Treas

Its 2" x 4" ad lists:

Ray E. Smith, Manager
"HY-GRADE Butter"
"HY-GRADE Ice Cream"

You might check p.75 and post #749. WCHS has a bit of history about Independence Ice & Cold Storage.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I'm pretty sure that Independence Ice & Cold Storage was in the vicinity, and might even have been the previous occupant of that same building, which would make sense. The building would need a freezer, whether for ice or ice cream. Here's a shot:

That's definitely the Creamery building, Doc. According to WCHS' post, the Cold Storage was to the north of the Creamery.

EDIT: 1911 lists Independence Ice & Cold Storage at "Willis se cor Rubey" (sic) That is consistent with WCHS that the Cold Storage co. was just to the north, as Willis bends NW and morphs into Ruby.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 12-05-2012 at 12:31 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Must be something in the water. There are a few night owls tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City