Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Answered my own question about the stone monument at Kansas and Liberty.

It was dedicated to the the Weston Blacksmith Shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

I dont know if the monument is still there. Dont know why it would not be, though.

Here is the stone monument at Kansas and Liberty looking south. I thought it was on the other side of Kansas.

It looks like it is highly vulnerable to street traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM

Default Harry S Truman

The HBO movie “Truman” made a point of saying that when Harry Truman left the white house in 1952, he did not own a home and had no income other than his $112.56 monthly Army pension.

His pension would amount to $971.98 today per a web site inflation program. However, he had been making $100,000 a year as president for the past eight years with little D. C. expenses.

After he came home he and Bess bought the house on Delaware Street from the Wallace estate.

Presidents back then did not earn a pension and did not have Secret Service protection until after the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Presidents back then did not earn a pension and did not have Secret Service protection until after the assassination of John F. Kennedy.[/quote]

The Trumans shopped often at the 24 Hiway Shopping Center, especially at Crown Drug Store. Even though parking was not allowed in front of the stores, HST routinely parked out front while waiting for Bess to come out. We could easily see him as our counters were near the front door.

Sometimes people would recognize him and make fools of themselves by knocking on the passenger window and wave with goofy grins on their faces. Ever the gentleman, President Truman would wave back, or nod, or tip the brim of his always-present hat.

I related this story a while back and someone asked "Where was the Secret Service"? And it hit me.....there wasn't any, not that I ever recalled seeing. I then realized that, as you said, not until after JFK was SS protection given to ex-Presidents.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM

MRG,

I saw him on one or two occasions without
anyone with him but before the Secret Service protection Mike Westwood of the Independence Police Department was detailed as his personal bodyguard.

It seems to me Westwood was actually more of a driver and a talking companion but he was armed.

One source is saying that Truman insisted to the Secret Service that Westwood be allowed to accompany him as they provided their protection away from the house. There was a little shed or house next to the Truman home where the Service headquartered.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 AM

Default George Gates

In 1885, George Gates, grandfather of Bess Truman, built what was to become the Harry S Truman house at 219 N. Delaware.

George Gates was the Gates of the Waggoner-Gates Milling Company, the large flour milling operation on Pacific Avenue a little over one-half mile from the square and where the National Frontier Trails Museum is now located.

Photo from the City of Independence web site.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Default Random memories:

Lots of good memories and information here.
Truman's protection. I cannot ever recall anyone other than Bess in his company. The few times he came into the store, it was only with her. As he sat out front in his car, I'm sure he sat alone, often for ten minutes or longer.

Clarence Heflin. Had not heard that name in years. When I was at MU I took a course that assigned students as legislative interns for a semester. We would go to Jeff City and basically hang out every Tuesday p.m. They tried to match us with legislators from our hometowns and I was assigned to CH. Really nice guy, unusual occupation as a grocer as most reps were either lawyers, bankers or farmers it seems. I don't think I was ever in CJ's US store, and my mind remembers he had two younger sons.

Koenepkers (sp?). Had forgotten about this, but my sweet grandmother worked part time there for many years. She eventually came over to our stores 23rd St. location to help out and then ran the place once the 24 Hiway location opened.

Du Vall's. Saw this next to JC Penney on one of the photos. Would never have remembered this place either. Was it a chain or locally owned? A dept. store or a specialty store?

Fire on The Square, circa 1962. The reminiscences of "five and dime" stores recalls a faint image I have of a fairly significant fire one day. I recall standing and watching the firefighters battle the blaze, I might have been inside SSK or Woolworth's or Katz's. Almost sure it had to be 62-64 since I remember who I was there with. Was it an auto dealer? A big beam sagging from the intense heat is a recollection.

Bryant elementary. Just off River Road, walked by it many times to and from trips to grandparent's house on W. Maple or to The Square. My buddies in the River/24 area went there, and then I think to Palmer Jr. High, before WCHS.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Clarence Heflin. Had not heard that name in years. When I was at MU I took a course that assigned students as legislative interns for a semester. We would go to Jeff City and basically hang out every Tuesday p.m. They tried to match us with legislators from our hometowns and I was assigned to CH. Really nice guy, unusual occupation as a grocer as most reps were either lawyers, bankers or farmers it seems. I don't think I was ever in CJ's US store, and my mind remembers he had two younger sons.
Heflin's kids were Lance and Vance, twins. I never did learn how or why he got into politics. When I worked for him he did not seem to be a political type person. I do remember at one time in the late 50s that he mentioned he wanted to get something going that would have grocery stores as a group voluntarily closing on Sundays.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Du Vall's. Saw this next to JC Penney on one of the photos. Would never have remembered this place either. Was it a chain or locally owned? A dept. store or a specialty store?
DuVall's was a branch of a downtown Kansas City store. I was in there probably one time. I am thinking it was an upscale women's store. I decided to be nice to my sister for Christmas and bought a cashmere ladies coat in there for $99. This was probably '58.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Fire on The Square, circa 1962. The reminiscences of "five and dime" stores recalls a faint image I have of a fairly significant fire one day. I recall standing and watching the firefighters battle the blaze, I might have been inside SSK or Woolworth's or Katz's. Almost sure it had to be 62-64 since I remember who I was there with. Was it an auto dealer? A big beam sagging from the intense heat is a recollection.
MRG,

I am drawing a blank on this early to mid sixties fire, maybe Mad Anthonie can chime in.

I have a photo labeled 1972 that seems to show the north side of the square in tact.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Default Behind Kresge and Woolworths

Can anyone remember what was on the backside of the Maple street stores on the north side of the square where Crown Drug, Herms, Knoepkers, Woolworth, Kresge, etc. were?

That would be after the alley behind those Maple Street stores and those businesses I cannot recall would be facing Liberty for a half block, Truman Road, and Main Street for a half block (in front of the old fire station number 1).

This area is all parking now, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City