Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Could be that they were just moving an extra engine to use in the underground storage area.
I might add that I waved at the Engineer and he seemed very bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Anyone remember Home Comfort Products (I think that was the name) that manufactured mattresses at Lexington and Dodgion Street? They were in business for quite a while. Their mattresses seemed to be available in all the furniture stores in Independence but they shipped out by rail also.

On my last trip to Independence I heard a train coming near the Walnut Street and Crane branch line crossing. I love watching trains at crossings--or anywhere else for that matter. I could not get to the crossing from the location I was at in time to see the train pass so I speeded up and drove towards town. I parked at the old mattress manufacturing building to watch the train cross Dodgion.

The speed limit must be 5 mph on that branch as it seemed like forever before the train arrived at the Dodgion crossing. Dodgion is only five or six blocks from Walnut and Crane.

There were two engines pulling three box cars. First time I have seen box cars on that branch line in a long time, but then I have not been around much in the last fifty years. Two of the box cars were labeled "US Army." I assumed that the Army was storing something out there at the underground storage and was pulling the stuff out for whatever reason. Two engines, though, for three box cars. Could not believe it.
I remember the mattress joint, it was there for many years, but I don't recall when it went away.

That spur line is used twice a day. They bring a string of cars out, and take a different string back. In the summer we can hear them while relaxing in our backyard.

Quote:
The Examiner is mentioning this morning of a new bed and breakfast opening up in 2013 at the historic Stone/Gamble house at 1114 S Noland. The effort is being called the Silver Heart Inn. The house was apparently built in 1852.

Additionally, memberships may be purchased at $1,000 each for an eight night stay at the "beach house" in the rear.

I had never heard of this mansion before but it looks rather historic after seeing a limited front view on Google Maps.

I looked up "Stone" and "Gamble" in Independence & 20th Century Pioneers by Pearl Wilcox and could not find any information.

The Silver Heart Inn also has a website with a news video showing some of the grounds.
That house may be covered in Pearl's earlier book. The house originally faced Main St. An earlier occupant cut it in two and rearranged it to face Noland. Some people have waaayyy too much time on their hands!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
SilverDoc, you could be right. Perhaps just a little way east from where Lee's Summit Road crosses Truman.
It is indeed! The shot is looking east from the driveway at Allied Armature.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It is indeed! The shot is looking east from the driveway at Allied Armature.

COOL! What'd I win, what'd I win?! Remember when Allied Armature burnt? I used that place for all my starter/alternator work. They always did good work.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
COOL! What'd I win, what'd I win?! Remember when Allied Armature burnt? I used that place for all my starter/alternator work. They always did good work.
I also dropped a few bills in that joint! Your prize is a coupon good for 20% a rebuilt alternator at Allied Armature.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I also dropped a few bills in that joint! Your prize is a coupon good for 20% a rebuilt alternator at Allied Armature.
Wow, golly gee, thanks! Never know when I might need to use it! Of course to be fair, WCHS got half of the answer, so...do we both get 20% coupons, or do we both get 10% coupons?

Last edited by SilverDoc; 12-12-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Wow, golly gee, thanks! Never know when I might need to use it! Of course to be fair, WCHS got half of the answer, so...do we both get 20% coupons, or do we both get 10% coupons?
You can take turns using the alternator!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
The Independence city web site has a listing of the status of almost one hundred ongoing construction projects in the city.

Included is the Little Blue Parkway project from Bundschu Road to Highway 24, which has a listed status of 100 percent complete.

The interchange of Little Blue Parkway with Highway 24 has a listed status of 79% complete. After the 21 percent balance is completed one can go on four lanes from Highway 24 to Highway 40.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You can take turns using the alternator!

Naaa! I'll just let him buy my half!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
I might add that I waved at the Engineer and he seemed very bored.
You should have given him the "toot-toot" hand sign and he might have gladly sounded the horn. Remember doing that as kids and the excitement when he actually granted the request?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City