Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times

Advertisements

Good to see there's still some industry in that part of town. It almost looks like a ghost town on the aerial view with all the businesses gone along Lexington et al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Speaking of, on that video I posted a week or so ago on KC Memories, one quick pic shows the 3100 block of Troost, not sure exactly what year. But just along that block was a Crown Drug, Woolworth's, Kresge's (back to back in fact), Presiden'ts Men's Shop, Lerner's, Helzberg's, GATEWAY Sporting Goods !!!, a bank, Eagles, the ISIS Theatre, Baker's Shoes, Goldman's, JC Penney, National Shirt Shop (remember those?), Thom McAn, Mode O Day, and 5c & $1.00 I had not heard of "Scott Stores" . . .anyone heard of Scott Stores?

The next street south is Linwood, which housed the inconic Katz Drug deco building (still there, but a shambles) on the NW corner.

Vibrant like some of the old pics of The Square we've seen (and remember). Now, just absolutely a craphole.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Speaking of, on that video I posted a week or so ago on KC Memories, one quick pic shows the 3100 block of Troost, not sure exactly what year. But just along that block was a Crown Drug, Woolworth's, Kresge's (back to back in fact), Presiden'ts Men's Shop, Lerner's, Helzberg's, GATEWAY Sporting Goods !!!, a bank, Eagles, the ISIS Theatre, Baker's Shoes, Goldman's, JC Penney, National Shirt Shop (remember those?), Thom McAn, Mode O Day, and 5c & $1.00 I had not heard of "Scott Stores" . . .anyone heard of Scott Stores?

The next street south is Linwood, which housed the inconic Katz Drug deco building (still there, but a shambles) on the NW corner.

Vibrant like some of the old pics of The Square we've seen (and remember). Now, just absolutely a craphole.
Have not heard of Scotts 5 and dime, but I recall the National Shirt Shops and the ISIS Theater. Never attended there but I do recall it had a lot of fancy neon.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM

I recall that Independence was talking about widening 35th Street to four lanes back in the sixties. My folks lived on 35th from 1963 until 1989 and it seemed like this was always an off and on topic of discussion with the city. The major intersections got a little widening and that was about it and it seemed like the intersection of Noland and 35th was always getting new improvements in baby steps. Today it is five lanes wide.

Another candidate for widening over all those years was 39th Street. I think that widening took a number of years and was only recently completed--to three lanes from Crysler to M-291.

Now, I understand that 35th Street, at least part of it from Crysler to Noland will be widened but only to three lanes.

On my trips back home I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of three lane streets in the area, including in Raytown. There is a continuous middle lane that is for turning only. Better than two lanes but not quite as good as four.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Also in that video was a shot of the Follys Burlesque theater at 12th and Central in Kansas City.

Every so often in the early 60s, the Star would announce there had been a raid on the theater because the girls were showing too much skin. My college buddy and I would rush down there and watch a show hoping to see what we wanted to see. But that was a bad time since they had only recently been busted.

The theater was old and decrepit and was all wood inside including the seats. There was a balcony, again all wood, but there was never a big enough audience to have anyone up there. I would always hope there would not be a fire during the two hours we would be in there.

The comic aspect of the shows were sometimes funny and sometimes were very good. For the most part, the girls seem to have been a little chubby "has beens" and had a lot of bruises, as I recall. The band was three musicians, a horn, a drum, and another instrument I cannot recall.

The clientele was less than stellar and there were never very many people there. Mostly men, but every so often a guy would have a date with him. Several times I was able to sit in the first three rows, and once got on the front row.

There was also a burly bouncer who would keep the audience in check.

They rehabilitated the old place a number of years ago.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 PM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Also in that video was a shot of the Follys Burlesque theater at 12th and Central in Kansas City.

Every so often in the early 60s, the Star would announce there had been a raid on the theater because the girls were showing too much skin. My college buddy and I would rush down there and watch a show hoping to see what we wanted to see. But that was a bad time since they had only recently been busted.

The theater was old and decrepit and was all wood inside including the seats. There was a balcony, again all wood, but there was never a big enough audience to have anyone up there. I would always hope there would not be a fire during the two hours we would be in there.

The comic aspect of the shows were sometimes funny and sometimes were very good. For the most part, the girls seem to have been a little chubby "has beens" and had a lot of bruises, as I recall. The band was three musicians, a horn, a drum, and another instrument I cannot recall.

The clientele was less than stellar and there were never very many people there. Mostly men, but every so often a guy would have a date with him. Several times I was able to sit in the first three rows, and once got on the front row.

There was also a burly bouncer who would keep the audience in check.

They rehabilitated the old place a number of years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folly_Theater

Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 PM

ISIS Theatre- Yes

Folly Theatre- No. That place always kind of creeped me out, now WCHS confirms why!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:54 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
ISIS Theatre- Yes

Folly Theatre- No. That place always kind of creeped me out, now WCHS confirms why!
My Beloved and I went to the Folly for its grand re-opening after the 1981 restoration. They had a play starring Eddie Albert and Edward Albert. The place was rather nice then, I hope it has stayed that way.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
My Beloved and I went to the Folly for its grand re-opening after the 1981 restoration. They had a play starring Eddie Albert and Edward Albert. The place was rather nice then, I hope it has stayed that way.
At the time I attended, it was in, more or less, a rough shod red light area. The area appears to be pretty well cleaned up now.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
It is time for another mystery photo. This one is from 1962.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City