Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I was thinking initially of Crysler Stadium area, then realized my mistake

What years were the fairgrounds in existence? I might have heard of a fair but sure don't remember anything like that.
It seems to me I read somewhere the fair might have been discontinued in the early 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,760,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weimlover6 View Post
I believe this one lives on the NW corner of Delaware and Waldo...

Found this interview on Google from the Truman Library archives. The lady sure has a good memory of the houses. MAD might find this particularly of interest as she talks about many of the addresses along N. Delaware
\
Truman Library - Sue Gentry Oral History Interview

Oral History Interview
with
Sue Gentry

[CENTER][SIZE=+1]Reporter, editor, and columnist for the Independence Examiner, 1929- ; and long-time friend of the Harry S. Truman family. [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER]August 30, 1971 and September 3, 1981[/CENTER]

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
chuckle, I was wondering if it might have been the one I eventually purchased. Just a couple days ago I attended the Denver Auto Show. First one I have attended since going to the Kansas City Auto Show in the early sixties.

The last KC Auto Show I attended was probably in 1965.

There was an Oldsmobile, I think, that was on display that had bright blue tires. In keeping with the times, the sidewalls were white, but the rest of the tire including the tread was bright blue.

There was another car that had red tires.

I remember talking to a floor salesman who told me that color keyed tires were the wave of the future.

I don’t believe they got very far.

I think this was the first year that Ford, at least, introduced full vinyl roofs on their cars.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Found this interview on Google from the Truman Library archives. The lady sure has a good memory of the houses. MAD might find this particularly of interest as she talks about many of the addresses along N. Delaware
\

Oral History Interview
with
Sue Gentry

[CENTER][SIZE=+1]Reporter, editor, and columnist for the Independence Examiner, 1929- ; and long-time friend of the Harry S. Truman family. [/SIZE][/CENTER]
I had some interaction with this lady when I was 15 years old during the summer before I was a junior. I had a small news item that I had written and wanted the Examiner to print it. I was referred to her and she was very nice and agreed to print it, which they did.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Serendipity strikes again!!!

Last Saturday My Beloved and I supported ABF by shopping at their garage sale. I picke up a stack of Missouri Historical Review magazines ranging from 1962 to 1982. They will make great summer hammock-time reading. My Beloved suggested I check to see if it is still published. It is, and even better, they have an online archive covering 1906-2002. That is where I discovered something pertinent to our discussions in this thread...

1963 Aerial photos of all of Jackson County!

This one will cover the Blue Ridge Mall area. You'll be able to see I-70 under construction. The thumbnails along the right side take you to other chunks of the county.

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

We shall spend many happy hours perusing this collection!!!
Yeah well, some people just fall into...well, you know the rest!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Serendipity strikes again!!!

Last Saturday My Beloved and I supported ABF by shopping at their garage sale. I picke up a stack of Missouri Historical Review magazines ranging from 1962 to 1982. They will make great summer hammock-time reading. My Beloved suggested I check to see if it is still published. It is, and even better, they have an online archive covering 1906-2002. That is where I discovered something pertinent to our discussions in this thread...

1963 Aerial photos of all of Jackson County!

This one will cover the Blue Ridge Mall area. You'll be able to see I-70 under construction. The thumbnails along the right side take you to other chunks of the county.

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

We shall spend many happy hours perusing this collection!!!
I was checking the '63 photos over the Downtown Airport. I could make out several Lockheed Connies on the tarmac, and a couple parked halfway in the TWA maintenance hanger. Pretty cool! I remember coming under the Broadway bridge on Lou Holland Drive around the north end and seeing the Connies just sitting there, big as life! Beautiful plane! I think "Save a Connie" still has their museum at the south end.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I was checking the '63 photos over the Downtown Airport. I could make out several Lockheed Connies on the tarmac, and a couple parked halfway in the TWA maintenance hanger. Pretty cool! I remember coming under the Broadway bridge on Lou Holland Drive around the north end and seeing the Connies just sitting there, big as life! Beautiful plane! I think "Save a Connie" still has their museum at the south end.
That is correct. Currently the Connie lives inside, outside they have a Lockheed L-1011. It is visible on current Google and/or Bing.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
\

Oral History Interview
with
Sue Gentry

Many thanks, she did indeed mention the old family homestead, along with most of our neighbors.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Quote:
That is correct. Currently the Connie lives inside, outside they have a Lockheed L-1011. It is visible on current Google and/or Bing.
When I belonged to the K.C. Warbirds, (consisting of a 1945 North American B-25 Mitchell Bomber, and a 1945 Beechcraft Model 18) the Save-A-Connie group was putting the finishing touches on the Connie, and was about to build the Martin 404, and also had a Douglas DC-3 fuselage waiting to be brought back to life.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM

Well Doc, you should go ahead and slap me around. I drove everyone away by posting the link to the old aerials. I hope they come back and discuss what they find, such as:

The Blue Ridge Mall- number DL-2DD-096
Lake City- number DL-1DD-100
24 & 71 Bypass (M-291)- DL-2DD-060
The Independence Square- DL-2DD-062
Fairmount- DL-2DD-044

I am working on the flight pattern to make it easier to find things. They did meander a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City