Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Too easy! You can see the path of the tornado, which appears as a lighter streak several blocks wide. It starts on DL-5T-058 and continues NE on DL-5T-040, which has the bulk of Ruskin Heights. These were taken on 6-10-57, the tornado had passed through on May 20.

May 1957 Central Plains tornado outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WOW!!! You really can! Looks like it touched down in the triangular farm field, then hit the first subdivision, passing east of whatever drive in theatre (Crest?) and onto Ruskin HS ("RUIN")

Look how populated (and relatively untouched) the subdivisions adjacent to the east. Had the tornado been just a few yards over it would have devastated those neighborhoods instead of the HS and other less densely peopled buildings, etc. Also these show that had the tornado been just even a bit further east it would have missed residential areas as that area looks to be relatively new (semi-rural) back then. (I just read that RH Subdivision was built only 4 years earlier, and several buyers opted not to pay extra $1,500 for basement, so it was carved out of recent farmland).

The tornado crossed State Line at Martin City, later lifted around Knobtown (50 Hiway & Noland) and wound up dissipating near what is now Independence Center. Luckily after RH the area was pretty much sparsely populated or it would have been much worse, basically missing south and eastern Raytown. I'm curious if any of the photos in that area show some ground disruption (OK MAD, I won't ask but . . . TIA!)

Just crazy and what a coincidence. Exactly three weeks after the F5 tornado struck. That night is one of the earliest childhood memories I have, still see Mom watching the funnel cloud off in the distance from the front of the house.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 04-02-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
The tornado crossed State Line at Martin City, later lifted around Knobtown (50 Hiway & Noland) and wound up dissipating near what is now Independence Center. Luckily after RH the area was pretty much sparsely populated or it would have been much worse, basically missing south and eastern Raytown. I'm curious if any of the photos in that area show some ground disruption (OK MAD, I won't ask but . . . TIA!)
The path as I've found it so far (all running SW to NE):

Enters Missouri near Martin City on DL5T-154 & 5T-144

Southwest of Ruskin Heights- 5T-056, then into Ruskin on 5T-058 & 5T-040

Another touchdown in Knobtown on 4T-160

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1957 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I have all of 1963 indexed on paper. If things stay quiet I'll get it into an electronic form for sharing. At times I wondered if the pilot may have been drinking!
As promised, the 1963 index is done! Now comes the fun part, trying to share it. This Board doesn't allow spreadsheet attachments, so I'll try it as a zipped spreadsheet.

Index for 1963 Jackson County Aerials.zip

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
WOW!!! You really can! Looks like it touched down in the triangular farm field, then hit the first subdivision, passing east of whatever drive in theatre (Crest?) and onto Ruskin HS ("RUIN")

Look how populated (and relatively untouched) the subdivisions adjacent to the east. Had the tornado been just a few yards over it would have devastated those neighborhoods instead of the HS and other less densely peopled buildings, etc. Also these show that had the tornado been just even a bit further east it would have missed residential areas as that area looks to be relatively new (semi-rural) back then. (I just read that RH Subdivision was built only 4 years earlier, and several buyers opted not to pay extra $1,500 for basement, so it was carved out of recent farmland).

Just crazy and what a coincidence. Exactly three weeks after the F5 tornado struck. That night is one of the earliest childhood memories I have, still see Mom watching the funnel cloud off in the distance from the front of the house.
A teacher at Ruskin High School, along with her husband, lived around the block from my family at about Hayward and Savage.

On the day of the May 20, 1957, tornado, the teacher had come home and then left again for Ruskin to attend an evening function or something.

She took her large dog with her to the school. I had seen the dog in the front of the house from time to time and want to say it was a Labrador.

When she arrived at Ruskin and the tornado hit, she was killed.

The dog showed up back at the house on Hayward and Savage a few days later.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
A teacher at Ruskin High School, along with her husband, lived around the block from my family at about Hayward and Savage.

On the day of the May 20, 1957, tornado, the teacher had come home and then left again for Ruskin to attend an evening function or something.

She took her large dog with her to the school. I had seen the dog in the front of the house from time to time and want to say it was a Labrador.

When she arrived at Ruskin and the tornado hit, she was killed.

The dog showed up back at the house on Hayward and Savage a few days later.
Given the path the twister took the dog may have hitched a ride part way!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Quote:
The Examiner is mentioning this morning of a new bed and breakfast opening up in 2013 at the historic Stone/Gamble house at 1114 S Noland. The effort is being called the Silver Heart Inn. The house was apparently built in 1852.

Additionally, memberships may be purchased at $1,000 each for an eight night stay at the "beach house" in the rear.

I had never heard of this mansion before but it looks rather historic after seeing a limited front view on Google Maps.

I looked up "Stone" and "Gamble" in Independence & 20th Century Pioneers by Pearl Wilcox and could not find any information.

The Silver Heart Inn also has a website with a news video showing some of the grounds.
I see on the Examiner web site that this place opens for business today.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The path as I've found it so far (all running SW to NE):

Enters Missouri near Martin City on DL5T-154 & 5T-144

Southwest of Ruskin Heights- 5T-056, then into Ruskin on 5T-058 & 5T-040

Another touchdown in Knobtown on 4T-160

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1957 :: Aerial Photograph Collection
Add to that 4T-182, which is SW of Knobtown. It was on the ground a long time. I'll indicate the entire path on the index for 1957.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Add to that 4T-182, which is SW of Knobtown. It was on the ground a long time. I'll indicate the entire path on the index for 1957.
I'll look forward to that. These photos help to put the destruction into perspective. And also the "luck" both good and bad involved. Imagine had this been a couple of miles westerly, tearing thru the heart of KC MO Raytown and Independence. Ive been on a few RH websites since I was a bit too young to remember much about the aftermath. Naturally the internet has brought on a host of pics, news accounts, and memories from those affected. But I've not seen anything like these photos reveal and especially the exact path the tornado followed.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I see on the Examiner web site that this place opens for business today.
Originally Posted by WCHS'59
The Examiner is mentioning this morning of a new bed and breakfast opening up in 2013 at the historic Stone/Gamble house at 1114 S Noland. The effort is being called the Silver Heart Inn. The house was apparently built in 1852.

Additionally, memberships may be purchased at $1,000 each for an eight night stay at the "beach house" in the rear.

I had never heard of this mansion before but it looks rather historic after seeing a limited front view on Google Maps.

I looked up "Stone" and "Gamble" in Independence & 20th Century Pioneers by Pearl Wilcox and could not find any information.

The Silver Heart Inn also has a website with a news video showing some of the grounds.

1960 Roy S. Gamble 1114 S. Noland The Gamble Co. (building contractor) @ 1012 No Cottage Which ironically puts this on what I remember as a purely residential street. The east side of the street was lined with identical two story duplexes as far down Cottage as I can remember, and I believe Union was also similarly lined. Any one else remember those?

Ironically, Google Maps still shows The Gamble Co. at the same location.

EDIT: Actually a Google search shows it to be now @ 1009 N/ Cottage and Angie's List classifies it as "architect"

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 04-04-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM

I think I've got the right "historic" house on Google Streetview showing what looks to be "1114" on S. Noland. Assuming that is the right house (and it looks like it would be of historic nature) then it was for sale, and the buyers turned it into the aforementioned B&B.

Edit: After some research there is this, indeed it was for sale (report dated 12-06-2010)

Historic home goes on the market - NBCActionNews.com - Kansas City

And it tells us who "Stone" was

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 04-04-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City