Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Okay boys and girls, recess is over! Time to get back to your history lesson with a pop quiz.

Question 1. What well known structure is burning in this photo from the early 1970s?

Question 2. What building is in the background?

Is this a parking area of some type that the firemen and equipment are on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
More likely an example of Sir Isaac's third law re: an "equal and opposite reaction"

Good One.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Thank you I remember how you Independence guys were

It looks like an overpass and the fire might be below ground. So the Amtrak thing (but Indep. station) sorta made sense except for the 2 story background building. That looks something like the professional office complex on The Square, or a government building perhaps.

Other than, however, Elephino is back in town.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 PM

I just came across this and was not specifically aware of this "biggest" fact, although I do recall when I was in the Army in the US and overseas that virtually all the ammunition boxes I saw were stamped with "Independence, Mo." Made a fellow feel good when so far from home. I even have a half dozen or so metal ammo boxes in my garage holding small parts, etc.

Factoid:
The Lake City Army Ammunition plant located at Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County, is the largest small-arms (5.56 - 20 mm) manufacturing plant in the world.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you I remember how you Independence guys were

It looks like an overpass and the fire might be below ground. So the Amtrak thing (but Indep. station) sorta made sense except for the 2 story background building. That looks something like the professional office complex on The Square, or a government building perhaps.

Other than, however, Elephino is back in town.

I currently have another theory and it will be interesting to know from MAD if this is a parking area of some type.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I currently have another theory and it will be interesting to know from MAD if this is a parking area of some type.
Ok I'm going to cheat by stealing your possible theory and Google Satellite to say:

This is a vehicle or AC fire of some sort on the multi level garage @ W. Lexington and that is the USPO in the background.

And that's my Final Answer.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 04-05-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
Yes, they are working from a parking area of the next-door neighbor of the burning business.

Quote:
Ok I'm going to cheat by stealing your possible theory and Google Satellite to say:

This is a vehicle or AC fire of some sort on the multi level garage @ W. Lexington and that is the USPO in the background.

And that's my Final Answer.
That is NOT the USPO in the background.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I just came across this and was not specifically aware of this "biggest" fact, although I do recall when I was in the Army in the US and overseas that virtually all the ammunition boxes I saw were stamped with "Independence, Mo." Made a fellow feel good when so far from home. I even have a half dozen or so metal ammo boxes in my garage holding small parts, etc.

Factoid:
The Lake City Army Ammunition plant located at Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County, is the largest small-arms (5.56 - 20 mm) manufacturing plant in the world.
The 1963 Jackson County Aerials give a great view of this on 1DD-100.

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

I will be posting the complete index for 1957 later today.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Yes, they are working from a parking area of the next-door neighbor of the burning business.

That is NOT the USPO in the background.

Ok. Then that is the professional building.

Now that is my Final Answer !

Old 04-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Ok. Then that is the professional building.

Now that is my Final Answer !
Then you are finally wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City