Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times

Advertisements

From The Examiner web site

"April 16, [1913] a big wagon from Kansas City backed up to the sidewalk at the southwest corner of the public square and men began to unload a huge block of granite. The monument was to an institution long since passed, yet very well remembered by many citizens, “The Old Santa Fe Trail.” The Daughters of the American Revolution have been working on the Santa Fe Trail project for 2 or 3 years, marking the old trail at intervals along its entire length. It was decided to place a monument on the identical spot that was the starting point for wagon trains heading west over the Santa Fe Trail. The inscription reads: Santa Fe Trail, 1812-1912, marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Missouri, 1909, Independence."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 AM

778 posts, read 1,023,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I just received a private message from someone who once lived in the Owens School Road area saying that seven hills was Flynn Road, which is a half mile north of Argo Road. I took the ground level tour of Flint Road with Google Earth and did not recognize that road either. But it has been 50 years plus since I did this little death defying act.

While I was looking at the map, I noticed Fire Prairie Creek. I have always heard of that creek but never knew where it was at. Learn something every day.
Maybe, but I don't think so. Or.... maybe there are two roads vying for that name and reputation! I've been down Flynn, Argo, and Oakland School Road, and Oakland seems to fit the criteria better than the others. Just my opinion, of course...for what it may or my not be worth.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Maybe, but I don't think so. Or.... maybe there are two roads vying for that name and reputation! I've been down Flynn, Argo, and Oakland School Road, and Oakland seems to fit the criteria better than the others. Just my opinion, of course...for what it may or my not be worth.
Here is a solution to find out and then we would know.

Since you live somewhat close to that area, may I suggest the next time that you have some time, that you go out there around 2 am. Since those roads are now paved, you could set your speed control at seventy, maybe 75, and then try all three first hand. It would not take long and then you would be finished--er, done. You could report back as to which of the three gave you the bigger buzz.

I would do it the next time I am in Independence, but my nighttime eye sight is just not that good anymore......................

Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Looks like the northwest corner of 24 and Noland.

I think you could be right, Doc, and if you are the building to the left in the picture would appear to be the second story of the A&W Drive In, which could have been closed by this time.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Here is a solution to find out and then we would know.

Since you live somewhat close to that area, may I suggest the next time that you have some time, that you go out there around 2 am. Since those roads are now paved, you could set your speed control at seventy, maybe 75, and then try all three first hand. It would not take long and then you would be finished--er, done. You could report back as to which of the three gave you the bigger buzz.

I would do it the next time I am in Independence, but my nighttime eye sight is just not that good anymore......................

Good idea! You come into town, and we'll do just that! I do know though, that the road I was on was Oakland School Road, whether it was actually "Seven Hills" or not. There is a small house just west of Oakland Church (behind it was Oakland Cemetary) where first my Grandparents, then an Aunt and Uncle lived. Just east of the church was Oakland School and the road that was later named after it. One day when I was visiting my Grandparents, an Uncle asked if I wanted to go down "Seven Hills", so I went. Oh, and I don't remember a stop sign except at either end at Truman and BB hiway. I think Flynn Road is too flat and has curves and Argo has a stop sign and the hills aren't as steep.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,758,908 times
Missouri Water Company

123 W. Kansas

Garvin H. Dyer, Mgr.

Quote:
1960 should do it.

It would in the 100 to 200 block on west Kansas. The Police Annex was not in existence in 1960--I dont think. One of the addresses on that block should be the Missouri Water Company.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Missouri Water Company

123 W. Kansas

Garvin H. Dyer, Mgr.
Holy cow. I recall that manager's name, now. What was just to the east of the Missouri Water Company on the same side of Kansas Street?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Good idea! You come into town, and we'll do just that! I do know though, that the road I was on was Oakland School Road, whether it was actually "Seven Hills" or not. There is a small house just west of Oakland Church (behind it was Oakland Cemetary) where first my Grandparents, then an Aunt and Uncle lived. Just east of the church was Oakland School and the road that was later named after it. One day when I was visiting my Grandparents, an Uncle asked if I wanted to go down "Seven Hills", so I went. Oh, and I don't remember a stop sign except at either end at Truman and BB hiway. I think Flynn Road is too flat and has curves and Argo has a stop sign and the hills aren't as steep.
Okay, but you drive and I will stand on top of the one of the hills and watch, chuckle.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,472,751 times
Quote:

Looks like the northwest corner of 24 and Noland.
You are correct observant one!

I sure hope you survive the Seven Hills experiment!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, but you drive and I will stand on top of the one of the hills and watch, chuckle.
Ah no ya don't, ya gotta ride wit me. And don't forget da camcorder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City