Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 04:28 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo70 View Post
I also went to McCoy and remember the field trip to Wonder Bread. We were lucky and got the package of cup cakes when we got on the bus to return to the school. I still remember the great smell of the bakery. My third grade teacher was Miss Robinson.
There were two third grade teachers at McCoy when I went there--a Mrs Wallace and a Mrs Waugh. My teacher was Mrs Wallace. Mrs Waugh fell in class and broke her leg after I left third grade but was still at McCoy.

I dont ever recall a Mrs Robinson, she must have come along later. Both Wallace and Waugh looked gray and old to me, chuckle, so they might have retired by the time you came along, whenever you came along.

Vada Trask was the principal. I thought she was old as the hills, also, but when McCoy closed, she went to another grade school and was principal there for many years.

In the third grade we also toured the Hygrade Ice Cream Factory on south Willis Street in Independence. There we all got an Eskimo Pie when the tour was over. Now that was a treat.

I remember taking another field trip to the Nelson Art Gallery in Kansas City while at McCoy. Not sure what grade I was in though. The most memorable display was when I saw my first knight in armor sitting on a horse. I was elated. When our tour was over something happened to the Pace buses, so the art gallery played a movie in the theater to entertain us. It was about knights in armor, etc., but they stopped right during the big charge because the buses had arrived. I always wondered what the name of the movie was and I never ever saw it again. However, I think it was the 1935 movie "The Crusades" with Loretta Young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 04:42 PM

I was in the third grade at McCoy in 1949-50. Vada Trask was born in 1898 so she would have been around 52 as the principal.

Not sure when McCoy closed but Trask left McCoy in 1956 to go to administer a new grade school. She died in 1985.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
[quote=SilverDoc;32842446]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Let's start the snowy new year with a new mystery location

This would be 291 looking south just north of 3rd st. (where a truck is waiting at the stop sign to enter the highway) In the distance, the rear of the Wonder Bread Bakery is just visible on the far left, and the Jacomo Restaurant is on the right, next to the Phillips 66 station. ( it was either someone that worked there, or the owner's grandaughter was shot there, if my memory serves me correctly) The light at Salisbury is further south just past the bakery.
Right you are!! The shot was taken in 1989.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo70 View Post
I also went to McCoy and remember the field trip to Wonder Bread. We were lucky and got the package of cup cakes when we got on the bus to return to the school. I still remember the great smell of the bakery. My third grade teacher was Miss Robinson.
Welcome to old Indep! Stick around and share more memories. I am almost certain that you attended third grade at McCoy after 1965.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I was in the third grade at McCoy in 1949-50. Vada Trask was born in 1898 so she would have been around 52 as the principal.

Not sure when McCoy closed but Trask left McCoy in 1956 to go to administer a new grade school. She died in 1985.
Trask left McCoy to become the first principal at Hanthorn Elementary.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 AM

My wet-ware isn't fully functional this morning, thus I'm not sure if this one has been posted before. It is from the 1970s, taken just after a bit of a windstorm. Where is it?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
My wet-ware isn't fully functional this morning, thus I'm not sure if this one has been posted before. It is from the 1970s, taken just after a bit of a windstorm. Where is it?
The "RLDS retirement home" is in the background on Pleasant Street. I can remember when that building was not there and some old homes were taken out by the church to build it. Hard to believe it is over fifty, I think, years old.

The photo is looking west on Kansas Street at about Spring Street.

Also hard to believe the city had parking meters there at one time, chuckle.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Looks like this place is no longer associated with the church retirees and is now public housing. Looks like the church's retirement home operations are now at the Groves complex on White Oak Street.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The "RLDS retirement home" is in the background on Pleasant Street. I can remember when that building was not there and some old homes were taken out by the church to build it. Hard to believe it is over fifty, I think, years old.

The photo is looking west on Kansas Street at about Spring Street.

Also hard to believe the city had parking meters there at one time, chuckle.
Well, that was too easy! Spring is the intersection down the block, the photo was taken just west of Osage. Pleasant Heights is the name of the tower, it opened in the early 1970s. A buddy of mine got that as his paper route. Originally it was for senior citizens only, but I never knew it to be an RLDS project. Nowadays there is no age restriction on residents.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Well, that was too easy! Spring is the intersection down the block, the photo was taken just west of Osage. Pleasant Heights is the name of the tower, it opened in the early 1970s. A buddy of mine got that as his paper route. Originally it was for senior citizens only, but I never knew it to be an RLDS project. Nowadays there is no age restriction on residents.
You might be right about the RLDS connection. Would not seem the church would have this place plus Resthaven back in those days. Maybe HUD erected it from the beginning.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM

It's too cold to go out and take a current photo, so y'all can try to find the location of the shot from the past.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City