Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
The old north-south Ringo road started at Holke road and continued south where it dead-ended. Years later they cut through to connect to the four lane section (now called Ringo, also) as that section dead ends. Swope Drive runs from Truman to a light at 78 highway (23rd st) just east of the now vacant MCI building. Swope Drive crosses 23rd south a hundred yards or so, before turning to the east and becoming the west end of Holke road. Holke road had previously ran west almost to MCI, and connected to 23rd at a sharp angle.

Speaking of Jackson Drive, at one point a small sign was posted on the south side of Truman road just east of Van Maele road east of Spring Branch Elem. that read "Future route of Jackson Drive". The route was changed and connected with Holke road from the south. From my house, I can go down my street, cross Truman to Holke going south to cross 23rd, and continue "straight" through to 39th st.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This is interesting. The older map that I have also shows the south portion of Seminole Drive south off Holke where Seminole ends in a cul de sac as being Jackson Drive.

That now renamed portion of present day south Seminole is about a thousand feet in line from where the four lane Ringo curves northwest and ends.

There is also a four lane Jackson Drive coming south from US 24 to Bundschu, which according to the city master plan will one day hook up to the Jackson Drive that now ends at M-78. Once it leaves Holke it goes in a wide arc east around Jones Road and then curves back to meet the north leg of Jackson Drive.

Well, for now, we get a buttload of the traffic going back and forth from 24 to 39th. I have to wait on sometimes a dozen vehicles just to back out of my driveway. ( the speed limit through my neighborhood is 30....yeah right, like people are going to drive at that speed!) Everyone said that when Little Blue Parkway was finished to 24, the pressure would ease on Jones, but it's too far east for some to go to head south to Independence Center, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:58 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Independence has its own railroad.

The Cham-Pagne Switching Corp is headquartered at 16500 E Truman Road.

The road has one switcher and was formed in 1995.

The one switcher is a General Motors SW1200 manufactured between 1954 and 1966. An HO model of an SW1200 was the first locomotive I purchased for my Little Blue Valley Railway back in the late sixties (which subsequently became the Sibley, Six Mile, and Western RR--route of the Osage Warrior, a stream liner passenger train)

General Motors built about 1,050 of these locomotives. There are a couple of photographs on the internet of the Cham-Pagne switcher, which is a former MoPac locomotive and appears to still be in MoPac blue livery. The Cham-Pagne locomotive would appear to be the workhorse to gather and assemble cars from the underground for Union Pacific takeaway west through downtown Independence and beyond.

An SW1200:

Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 AM

Well, folks you can now enter a city wide contest to redesign the above city flag, which was previously redesigned in 1969.

Seems to me if they would replace the wagon wheel with the city of Independence logo having the covered wagon and mules they might have it.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:

Well, folks you can now enter a city wide contest to redesign the above city flag, which was previously redesigned in 1969.

Seems to me if they would replace the wagon wheel with the city of Independence logo having the covered wagon and mules they might have it.
The contest is open to all, so sketch it out and send it in!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 AM

44 posts, read 52,454 times
Quote:

That's interesting, I remember this contest when I was a senior in high school. One of my classmates was actually the winner of the current design. I remember Mayor Slusher presented awarded him $100 for the winning design! That was a fair amount of money in '69.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh69 View Post
That's interesting, I remember this contest when I was a senior in high school. One of my classmates was actually the winner of the current design. I remember Mayor Slusher presented awarded him $100 for the winning design! That was a fair amount of money in '69.
I am wondering why they felt a need to redo it in the first place. City flags are not something a lot of folks fret over.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:56 PM

It is time to jump in the Wayback Machine! Who amongst y'all can tell me anything about this publication?

The prize this time will be one virtual old city flag!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It is time to jump in the Wayback Machine! Who amongst y'all can tell me anything about this publication?

The prize this time will be one virtual old city flag!
Dont know about the publication--it might have been a religious pamphlet. However, the advertisement on the back was from Earnest B. Dooley, a long time grocer in and around the square. At this point in time he was on the west side of the square having located there in 1910 from another square site and left in 1923. After leaving this site in 1923 he located at Lexington and River Blvd and then Lexington and Union streets.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Dont know about the publication--it might have been a religious pamphlet. However, the advertisement on the back was from Earnest B. Dooley, a long time grocer in and around the square. At this point in time he was on the west side of the square having located there in 1910 from another square site and left in 1923. After leaving this site in 1923 he located at Lexington and River Blvd and then Lexington and Union streets.
I had not researched Dooley's Market, thanks for the info.

The pamphlet is not religious in nature, please try again.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I had not researched Dooley's Market, thanks for the info.

The pamphlet is not religious in nature, please try again.

OK I'll say it's a political publication
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City