Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 AM

908 posts, read 725,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
If it is a blue house, I saw it on Google Maps. For some reason I never made it north of 23rd in that area in those days. On the trip before last to Independence, I did drive those streets looking around, chuckle.
I have no idea what color that house is now, but the address is goofy. I believe the address is 200 Trail Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
That is so cool. There has to be something about women loving men who work in grocery stores. I have two friends who met at Jerry's United Supers when the guy worked there and they have been married forever. I met my wife when I worked at Kroger at 35th and Noland. It must be the aromas of a grocery store that cause that.
Did that Kroger go in on the other side across from Jerry's?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
At William Chrisman High School there were two teachers, one taught chemistry and the other taught physics.

They lived in the same apartment complex just a few doors down from the Maple Street school and they always went to the school events, such as basketball and football.

One teacher was Miss Witthar and the other Miss Clement. I took physics under Miss Clement and she was really sharp. Both went to the new WCHS when it opened in the 1957-58 school year.

One of the highlights of Miss Clement's class in the new WCHS was that, after an electrical outage, the synchronized clocks in the new building would reset. Each classroom had a clock, which was something new to all of us.

All the clocks in the building synchronized off a master clock somewhere in the building. If there had been an electrical outage, she always stopped teaching and let the class watch the clock reset.

We never knew how this actually worked, but I don’t believe the master clock received a signal from an atomic clock at Fort Collins, Colorado, as some clocks do today.
I took chemistry in high school and Nora Witthar was my teacher. She was able to convince me that science was not my ambition. I believe Miss Clement was my study hall teacher my senior year.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Did that Kroger go in on the other side across from Jerry's?
It was in Noland Plaza which was on the SE corner while Jerry's was NE corner.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Miss Page was the typing teacher. I took typing and was one of only three boys in my class.

Miss Page would start the clock and everyone would start typing. When the clock rang to end the typing session, Miss Page would yell “STOP!!!” and if you were somewhere else in the building you could hear her voice reverberate through all the halls.

Typing is one of the most beneficial courses that I ever took.
I could not recall who I had as a teacher for typing. I took typing my freshman year and I, too, am glad that I did. I never have been a fast typer. Looking back at my 1960 Gleam, I see that it must have been Miss Jessie Page that I had for typing.

Remember this fine song..

Leroy Anderson - The Syncopated Clock - YouTube

Or this?

Typewriter symphony Orchestra - YouTube

Quote:
I took chemistry in high school and Nora Witthar was my teacher. She was able to convince me that science was not my ambition. I believe Miss Clement was my study hall teacher my senior year.
Same here for Miss Clement. I can recall that satellites were a big topic that year and one of the exercises had to do with predicting apogees and perigees for a satellite. There was maybe one person or two in the class that excelled at that stuff.

Another thing I recall from that class was the fellow who sat next to me. Cannot remember his name but one day he mentioned that it took $6.00 to fill his parent's Oldsmobile with gas. I just about fell off my chair.

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Neither My Beloved nor I can recall a Kroger down there. What years was it there?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Webb sold it in 1910 and then it changed hands a number of times.

The Castle was used in the sixties and seventies as a haunted house at Halloween. In 1977 it burned (somehow) and then was reportedly razed.
When I was in the Independence Jaycees, we used the castle for a spook house one Halloween. The year must have been 1971, 1972, or 1973.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
That was what I was thinking of. Directly across from Jerrys on Noland was a hard luck location. In the early years, the places there came and went frequently, it seemed. I actually think that land footprint there has been enlarged somewhat since the first eatery was built there.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Neither My Beloved nor I can recall a Kroger down there. What years was it there?
I am not sure when Noland Plaza opened, but I believe Kroger was one of the original tenants. There was a tire store on the far north end, then Super X Drug Store (owned by Kroger) and then Kroger. I worked there in 1968. It was there until Kroger left the KC market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City