Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
In the Fall of 1962, WCHS did not play RHS. I have no recollection now as to what conference they belonged in 1962. Here is who they played in football.:

Van Horn
Sedalia Smith-Cotton
Bishop Miege
St. Joe Benton
NKC
St. Joe Lafayette
Springfield Parkview
St. Joe Central
Ruskin
Center

Sports-wise, this was the year for basketball. That year, they played 25 games. Their record was 23-2. They won 1 and Lost 1 to Rockhurst. They also lost to Lee's Summit 49-50.

They won the NKC Tournament, Center Tournament, and the Regional Tournament.

My theory is RHS was split into new Ray South and that might have been Truman's first year as well. Maybe both schools were too green with new programs and the leagues had to be re-aligned to accommodate them. Oak Park probably came into begin about this time also.

EDIT: Wikipedia for all three schools says RS 1961 TRS 1964 Oak Park 1965 RS first graduating class was 1964 so I imagine it began with a jr varsity team, the a year or two later had a full slate of teams. Apparently RHS Jrs and Srs were not transferred to RS but only the FR or Soph classes.

So the Pony Express League was probably re arranged but where Raytown went during this time I can't say. But that sure looks like PE with all those St Joe schools. I do know Raytown played national powerhouse Jeff City during this time and JC of course kicked Raytown's butt every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
There are two trolleys that are still there on Truman, one on the north side east of the old Olds, one on the south side west of Sterling.

But there was another third trolley that was on the north side between those two that is no longer there. That was what I was trying to say.
Perhaps these views from 1957 & 1963 will help.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Perhaps these views from 1957 & 1963 will help.

The key word here is "perhaps," chuckle.

Seeing that RR there is pure nostalgia.

It seems to me the two lane span rr bridge over Sterling had an impact on widening Sterling to four lanes.

I cannot recall whether the rr abandoned the tracks and the two lane span was torn down or whether the RR finally lengthened the bridge allowing the widening of Sterling and then later abandoned the tracks resulting in the lengthened span to be torn down.

It would seem the cost to the rr of lengthening the bridge would not have been worth the benefit.

I have in past years ridden a train all the way through Independence on the Missouri Pacific. I would love to have been able to ride those tracks going across Sterling from KC Union station to the square.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM

908 posts, read 725,644 times
Quote:
The key word here is "perhaps," chuckle.

Seeing that RR there is pure nostalgia.

It seems to me the two lane span rr bridge over Sterling had an impact on widening Sterling to four lanes.

I cannot recall whether the rr abandoned the tracks and the two lane span was torn down or whether the RR finally lengthened the bridge allowing the widening of Sterling and then later abandoned the tracks resulting in the lengthened span to be torn down.
How about the bridge was taken down? In 1958, the following pictures were taken from that bridge.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM

So was the rail abandoned at that time? If so, that was earlier than I would have thought.

I noticed the '57 sky haze green Ford wagon parked, chuckle.

I dont recognize the companies in the photo, but there was a lumber hardware further east.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:12 PM

908 posts, read 725,644 times
Quote:
So was the rail abandoned at that time? If so, that was earlier than I would have thought.

I noticed the '57 sky haze green Ford wagon parked, chuckle.

I dont recognize the companies in the photo, but there was a lumber hardware further east.
I scanned these pictures about two weeks ago. These were slides that we had around the house. I was looking for pictures of the farm, but only found this one. Nothing else. Arrrrrrgh! Mad, this is the type of fencing I told you about.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:

A 1990 Google view shows that area in the photograph taken from the Sterling Avenue bridge looking generally east to be a vacant lot from razing.

In trying to find out about the abandonment of the Kansas City Belt Line and the Air Line into Independence terminating at Osage and Maple, I find that it was constructed from Jan 1891 to March 1892 and later absorbed by KCS.

There was an application for abandonment in 1922 of what appears to be the segment from a few blocks east of Sterling Road to the square. KCS justified the abandonment by saying the Chicago & Alton and the Missouri Pacific both provided ample passenger service to Independence.

The only information I could find about the rails across Sterling was that it was abandoned in the sixties or seventies. Somewhere, there should be information on the exact year. I do remember that a train a day came down the line behind Charlies US Market in Fairmount in 1962. Actually, it was a locomotive pulling a car or two and crossed US 24 at street level, as did what must have been the Maywood and Sugar Creek RR a little further east.

I found this interesting bit of information about the Maywood & Sugar Creek RR, in which KCS owned the stock. According to the KCS Historical Society this line was merged into KCS in 1992. It actually said 1992. The line was 1.54 miles long with an additional .405 miles of sidings and yards. It apparently pulled oil tankers from the Sugar Creek refinery to the KCS main line.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 02-20-2014 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
A 1990 Google view shows that area in the photograph taken from the Sterling Avenue bridge looking generally east to be a vacant lot from razing.

In trying to find out about the abandonment of the Kansas City Belt Line and the Air Line into Independence terminating at Osage and Maple, I find that it was constructed from Jan 1891 to March 1892 and later absorbed by KCS.

There was an application for abandonment in 1922 of what appears to be the segment from a few blocks east of Sterling Road to the square. KCS justified the abandonment by saying the Chicago & Alton and the Missouri Pacific both provided ample passenger service to Independence.

The only information I could find about the rails across Sterling was that it was abandoned in the sixties or seventies. Somewhere, there should be information on the exact year. I do remember that a train a day came down the line behind Charlies US Market in Fairmount in 1962. Actually, it was a locomotive pulling a car or two and crossed US 24 at street level, as did what must have been the Maywood and Sugar Creek RR a little further east.

I found this interesting bit of information about the Maywood & Sugar Creek RR, in which KCS owned the stock. According to the KCS Historical Society this line was merged into KCS in 1992. It actually said 1992. The line was 1.54 miles long with an additional .405 miles of sidings and yards. It apparently pulled oil tankers from the Sugar Creek refinery to the KCS main line.
I did not realize that spur was a separate RR. The RR bridge at Truman & Sterling was taken out when Sterling was widened, but I don't recall what year that happened.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM

More on the Maywood & Sugar Creek RR.

There are many internet hits concerning the Maywood & Sugar Creek but little about the story of the company.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:34 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City