Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/...dence-1887.jpg
This is where I looked at the invisible topo map
I forgot exactly when the name changed to Selsa but it had to do with the townspeople not wanting to associate their name with Jesse James. Another town near St Louis took on the Glendale name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I forgot exactly when the name changed to Selsa but it had to do with the townspeople not wanting to associate their name with Jesse James. Another town near St Louis took on the Glendale name.
The name change occurred shortly after the third robbery, which was on December 23rd, 1899.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
It would have to be pre-48 when the city limits went east to around Woodbury, but exactly when? I thought I saw the Lexington branch on there and the new channel for the Missouri may have been delayed by the war so I will guess 1930-48.
You are close. In 1931 the Chicago & Alton RR was taken over by the Baltimore & Ohio RR, they renamed it Alton RR. This map shows Alton RR, so it is after 1931. The city limits pushed out to Woodbury in 1948, so it is before then.

Perhaps we could narrow it more if we knew when 71 Bypass moved, or when Staple became Salisbury.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
You are close. In 1931 the Chicago & Alton RR was taken over by the Baltimore & Ohio RR, they renamed it Alton RR. This map shows Alton RR, so it is after 1931. The city limits pushed out to Woodbury in 1948, so it is before then.

Perhaps we could narrow it more if we knew when 71 Bypass moved, or when Staple became Salisbury.
I was in sixth grade during 52-53 school year and was a Safety Patrol boy with one station at Noland and Alton (23rd). US 71-By Pass followed Noland that year. US-71 was moved when Zero highway was finished. That would have to have been within three years or so me being in 6th grade.

The Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio RR took over the Alton in 1947, so now it would appear that the map is before 1947.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 03-21-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:

The Alton portion of the Chicago & Alton RR was Alton, Illinois, which was on the east bank of the Mississippi River a few miles north of Saint Louis.

I wonder if Alton Street (now 23rd) had anything to do with the Alton name in Chicago & Alton RR? I don't seem to find anyone named Alton in Independence history.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
In the early fifties, I recall a young lady two years younger than myself with the last name of Atkinson in your neighborhood.

Previously, on this thread was a photo of the Crane/Walnut RR crossing in 1930. It was originally the Lexington Branch and is now the Pixley Spur. I dont think I ever heard Crackerneck Spur connected with it but anything is possible.
I have not heard from RBCOPELAND on this one but my response has triggered some further memories. I believe this young lady lived in the brick house on the south side of Walnut, the 3rd house west of the tracks.

I cannot recall dating this young lady but I might have once. I do not know what happened to her but she was at William Chrisman Div II on Maple Street in 1959.

She had a friend the same age who lived a block north on Kansas Avenue. I dated this young lady a few times, including one trip to the new Sugar Creek municipal pool. She was a hard luck youngster. One of her parents had died and she was living with the other. Before she was fifteen the remaining parent died in an auto accident, I believe, and she was sent to northern Missouri to live with relatives. I never saw her again and never knew what happened to her later in life.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 PM

320 posts, read 309,970 times
Quote:

The route was renumbered in the mid-1960s when I-29 was opened.
It originally crossed the Missouri River about 2 miles (3.2 km) north of where it does now, until 1949, when the Missouri River was rerouted. The county line stayed constant, however, leaving some of Jackson County north of the river. It was aligned on what is now the western frontage road in southern Liberty, Southview Drive, until the mid-1970s, when a four-lane Route 291 was built.
Route 291 was designated as "Route 35" from 1926 to 1939, and then "US 71 Bypass" until 1972. From 1922 to 1926, Route 35 took the western route between Harrisonville and Kansas City, while Route 1 followed present Route 291; US 71 replaced that part of Route 1 in 1926, but followed what had been Route 35, and so Route 35 was moved east to replace the piece of Route 1 bypassed by US 71

This info is from Wikipedia. It doesn't give an exact date when the "official" date was but helps. Incidentally I noticed that tomorrow, the 22nd, is the 3 year anniversary date of this thread. Sally36 made the initial post, but WCHS'59, MAD ANTHONIE, SILVER DOC, MRG DALLAS as well as all the others who have contributed to keep this thread alive are to be commended. I've lived here in Independence now for close to 32 years, but have learned more from this thread in the past few weeks than I have over the last three decades. Thank you all especially Sally36 where ever you are.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:14 AM

I went back and retrieved this photo that Silver Doc posted of north Noland Road just south of US 24.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
The route was renumbered in the mid-1960s when I-29 was opened.
It originally crossed the Missouri River about 2 miles (3.2 km) north of where it does now, until 1949, when the Missouri River was rerouted. The county line stayed constant, however, leaving some of Jackson County north of the river. It was aligned on what is now the western frontage road in southern Liberty, Southview Drive, until the mid-1970s, when a four-lane Route 291 was built.
Route 291 was designated as "Route 35" from 1926 to 1939, and then "US 71 Bypass" until 1972. From 1922 to 1926, Route 35 took the western route between Harrisonville and Kansas City, while Route 1 followed present Route 291; US 71 replaced that part of Route 1 in 1926, but followed what had been Route 35, and so Route 35 was moved east to replace the piece of Route 1 bypassed by US 71

This info is from Wikipedia. It doesn't give an exact date when the "official" date was but helps. Incidentally I noticed that tomorrow, the 22nd, is the 3 year anniversary date of this thread. Sally36 made the initial post, but WCHS'59, MAD ANTHONIE, SILVER DOC, MRG DALLAS as well as all the others who have contributed to keep this thread alive are to be commended. I've lived here in Independence now for close to 32 years, but have learned more from this thread in the past few weeks than I have over the last three decades. Thank you all especially Sally36 where ever you are.
Thanks for the brain jog. I'll check my old map against the collection of Official Missouri Highway Maps. That should enable me to narrow it down.

Thanks for the kind words. We have all learned much by pooling our fragmented memories.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the brain jog. I'll check my old map against the collection of Official Missouri Highway Maps. That should enable me to narrow it down.
Unfortunately the info on the state maps did not help any more. Due to the war there was no change in major roads from 1939-48. The state didn't even issue new maps some years. I shall dig elsewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City