Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

Some of you Independence baseball fans of the fifties might remember the "Boudreau Shift." It was the talk of baseball at the time.

For some reason that came to mind when Major Tom mentioned the baseball game found at the Bingham estate. Absolutely no connection but it came to mind anyway.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 05-13-2014 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM

Also becoming known as the Boudreau Shift because Lou Boudreau came up with it to counter Ted Williams.

Boudreau was the first manager of the Kansas City Athletics and I thought that he came up with the shift at that time because of the way the KC announcer presented it--but information on the web says he came up with it a lot earlier--in the mid forties.

I was aware as a young kid that Boudreau was a famous manager-player but I could not understand how a person could play and manage at the same time.

Then I came across information that Connie Mack was not only a player-manager at one point but also owned the team and the stadium where his team played--and rented the stadium out to the Phillies for every one of their games. That really must have been a scheduling nightmare for both leagues when everything was done by hand.

Connie Mack boggled my young imagination especially when I learned he managed for fifty years and his death was the reason leading to the A's moving to Kansas City.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Yeah, I remember the Boudreau Shift designed to defend Ted Williams

Ted hated it so much I actually saw him spit into the stands at Municipal

Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Also becoming known as the Boudreau Shift because Lou Boudreau came up with it to counter Ted Williams.

Boudreau was the first manager of the Kansas City Athletics and I thought that he came up with the shift at that time because of the way the KC announcer presented it--but information on the web says he came up with it a lot earlier--in the mid forties.

I was aware as a young kid that Boudreau was a famous manager-player but I could not understand how a person could play and manage at the same time.

Then I came across information that Connie Mack was not only a player-manager at one point but also owned the team and the stadium where his team played--and rented the stadium out to the Phillies for every one of their games. That really must have been a scheduling nightmare for both leagues when everything was done by hand.

Connie Mack boggled my young imagination especially when I learned he managed for fifty years and his death was the reason leading to the A's moving to Kansas City.
That was a few years before my time, so didn't know about the Ted Williams shift. Just knew that his home run area on my All-Star Baseball game disks was second only to Babe Ruth's.

I take it he was that much of a pull-hitter? With a shift that extreme, you'd think he could have lobbed line-drives by the dozens into left-center for inside the parkers.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That was a few years before my time, so didn't know about the Ted Williams shift. Just knew that his home run area on my All-Star Baseball game disks was second only to Babe Ruth's.

I take it he was that much of a pull-hitter? With a shift that extreme, you'd think he could have lobbed line-drives by the dozens into left-center for inside the parkers.

I'm sure that was the reason. Some say TW had the sweetest swing in history and I can still picture him up at the plate from our seats on third base upper deck.

I don't recall him ever hitting opposite field but Boudreau wouldn't have designed that if he wasn't a consistent pull hitter

Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I'm sure that was the reason. Some say TW had the sweetest swing in history and I can still picture him up at the plate from our seats on third base upper deck.

I don't recall him ever hitting opposite field but Boudreau wouldn't have designed that if he wasn't a consistent pull hitter
I hear ya'....but it just seems a shift that extreme would be too easy for a seasoned big-league hitter to punish. I guess maybe the game was simpler back then.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I hear ya'....but it just seems a shift that extreme would be too easy for a seasoned big-league hitter to punish. I guess maybe the game was simpler back then.

He was such a great hitter and supposedly had the best "eye on the ball", so you'd think so. But I sensed that left handed hitters seemed to have more natural tendency to pull the ball than righties. I wonder how many opposite field hits he had in his .400 season?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
And now for something completely different!

For those in the area there is a rare opportunity tomorrow. The Hughes-Childers House, long time home of pharmacist Peter Childers, will be open for tours Saturday only from 9-5. I have toured the home several years ago, it is worth the time. The home is located at 801 S Main.

In case you don't recall, Petey's wife Drusilla was the sister of Paul Henning, creator of the Beverly Hillbillies. As an inside joke Granny would sometimes call Petey for pharmaceutical needs.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 AM

Hughes-Childers house, 801 S Main. According to Trulia it has 6,659 square feet.

Built 1887 apparently at a cost of $10,000.

The square footage may include out buildings.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 PM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
And now for something completely different!

For those in the area there is a rare opportunity tomorrow. The Hughes-Childers House, long time home of pharmacist Peter Childers, will be open for tours Saturday only from 9-5. I have toured the home several years ago, it is worth the time. The home is located at 801 S Main.

In case you don't recall, Petey's wife Drusilla was the sister of Paul Henning, creator of the Beverly Hillbillies. As an inside joke Granny would sometimes call Petey for pharmaceutical needs.
Hope to go, but got a lot of honey-dos. Thanks for the heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City