Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times

Advertisements

Today's mystery photo is from 1982...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

I will pass and let MRG or one of the newer guys answer this one...

Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I will pass and let MRG or one of the newer guys answer this one...

I don't know it but this is probably from MADs album recording the "before" of either 291 or LS Rd.

This photo seems somewhat familiar from a previous entry, given the former bridge over the RR tracks.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I don't know it but this is probably from MADs album recording the "before" of either 291 or LS Rd.

This photo seems somewhat familiar from a previous entry, given the former bridge over the RR tracks.
You are on the right track, it is from one of my "before" series. Please narrow it down a bit.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:46 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

How about the future Queen City Park?

1982?

Oops! Scratch that answer.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
How about the future Queen City Park?

1982?

Oops! Scratch that answer.
CaseyMO,

The concerned area is about 2.6 miles from your childhood home in somewhat of a straight line.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:05 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Quote:
CaseyMO,

The concerned area is about 2.6 miles from your childhood home in somewhat of a straight line.
Well, that doesn't help me. I had moved out of state by 1982 and I just cannot place those houses.

On a different note, M.O Johnson was going to attend our class reunion last September, but he did not feel up to it when the day arrived. We did have two coaches who attended. Summa and Dick Bruch, WCHS track coach.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Well, that doesn't help me. I had moved out of state by 1982 and I just cannot place those houses.

On a different note, M.O Johnson was going to attend our class reunion last September, but he did not feel up to it when the day arrived. We did have two coaches who attended. Summa and Dick Bruch, WCHS track coach.
Gee whiz. Over 100 and wanting to attend a reunion, chuckle.

I recall Summa but not Bruch.

Over twenty years before the photo and perhaps four blocks away from the site of the photo and in the direction the bridge abutment is heading to go over the tracks was where Charley Finley threatened to spend $1 million [a lot of money back then] to build a temporary baseball stadium for the Kansas City Athletics. He figured that cost would cover bleachers, rest rooms, and a playing field. There was enough room for parking to boot. He felt his contract with the city of Kansas City for using municipal stadium had become unfair due to the declining attendance. He threatened to keep the team in KC but pursue a site for a different stadium.

I think the rhetoric went on for this site (and others in the metro area) for maybe six months or so. It seemed like the Independence site was leading the pack. I know I was quite excited about this location, but eventually he did get a more favorable contract and the temporary stadium in Independence appeared to be just a ploy.

Edit: the date may have been around '64.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Gee whiz. Over 100 and wanting to attend a reunion, chuckle.

I recall Summa but not Bruch.

Over twenty years before the photo and perhaps four blocks away from the site of the photo and in the direction the bridge abutment is heading to go over the tracks was where Charley Finley threatened to spend $1 million [a lot of money back then] to build a temporary baseball stadium for the Kansas City Athletics. He figured that cost would cover bleachers, rest rooms, and a playing field. There was enough room for parking to boot. He felt his contract with the city of Kansas City for using municipal stadium had become unfair due to the declining attendance. He threatened to keep the team in KC but pursue a site for a different stadium.

I think the rhetoric went on for this site (and others in the metro area) for maybe six months or so. It seemed like the Independence site was leading the pack. I know I was quite excited about this location, but eventually he did get a more favorable contract and the temporary stadium in Independence appeared to be just a ploy.

Edit: the date may have been around '64.

Looks like it was toward the end of '63 as his lease expired on December 31 of that year.

Charley Finley:
“I will rent a cow pasture and put up temporary stands for the team to use next year. I’m talking about renting or leasing about 300 acres of land and building a temporary stadium with bleacher-type seats, lights and all modern facilities. It probably would cost me a million dollars, but I’m willing to do that if necessary.”

Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Looks like it was toward the end of '63 as his lease expired on December 31 of that year.

Charley Finley:
“I will rent a cow pasture and put up temporary stands for the team to use next year. I’m talking about renting or leasing about 300 acres of land and building a temporary stadium with bleacher-type seats, lights and all modern facilities. It probably would cost me a million dollars, but I’m willing to do that if necessary.”

He was a freakin' oddball

A friend in Philly yesterday told me it was SIXTY years ago that day, the A's played their last game in Philadelphia. The next year they would be in KC, whereupon they'd become a "farm team" for the Yankees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City