Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
He did indeed visit, but I don't recall that mention.

What sayest Thou Dallas?

I saw it and considered staying there but did not go inside. The PW factoid is news to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Doutt's Lake is correct. Located one-half mile from McCoy School.
It was an educated guess, knowing that is the only lake anywhere near the school.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:41 PM

908 posts, read 712,149 times
Quote:
When the new Benton grade school opened in 1953, the school district split our household up, so to speak. I continued to go to go to McCoy School, while my two years younger sister was required to attend the new Benton. I recall attending a PTA meeting with my mother at the new Benton and do not remember a lake--but I was not looking for one, chuckle.

After I started junior high school, I can remember playing sandlot baseball on the new Benton School playground and don't remember a lake there--but I was not looking for one. It could have been there.
I moved from the old Benton to the new one and there was no lake there. Hmmm. I wonder if I was there at the same time as your sisters. Small world.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM

908 posts, read 712,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
None of the above provide the correct answer to my question.

Take a hint from Horace Greeley.
It's too late for me to go west as I am no longer a young man.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:07 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I saw it and considered staying there but did not go inside. The PW factoid is news to me.

Hmmm. Somehow I learned the Pearl Wilcox info when we were talking about the picture postcard house that turned out to be (I, we, think) at 116 S Pleasant. I must have discovered Pearl Wilcox was a late owner at that address when searching to find out what was there.

At any rate, I dont believer I had ever heard of a Pearl Wilcox when I was growing up in Independence.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I moved from the old Benton to the new one and there was no lake there. Hmmm. I wonder if I was there at the same time as your sisters. Small world.
I agree, chuckle.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Harry Truman suffered his only election defeat in 1924 when he lost to a Republican running against him for county judge (county commissioner).

The man defeating Truman was a harness maker who conducted his business on the south side of the square.

What local marshal jurisdiction was instrumental with submitting the harness maker's name to run, thus setting up the Truman defeat?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 PM

320 posts, read 305,114 times
Quote:
Harry Truman suffered his only election defeat in 1924 when he lost to a Republican running against him for county judge (county commissioner).

The man defeating Truman was a harness maker who conducted his business on the south side of the square.

What local marshal jurisdiction was instrumental with submitting the harness maker's name to run, thus setting up the Truman defeat?
I don't think I'm answering this quite right, but according to an interview with Rufus Burrus, Henry Bundschu talked Henry Rummell a harness maker, into running against Truman. Initially, Rummell wasn't willing to run but was assured he'd be replaced later. However, once Rummell threw his hat in the ring, he stayed in and won that years election.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
I don't think I'm answering this quite right, but according to an interview with Rufus Burrus, Henry Bundschu talked Henry Rummell a harness maker, into running against Truman. Initially, Rummell wasn't willing to run but was assured he'd be replaced later. However, once Rummell threw his hat in the ring, he stayed in and won that years election.

This may be a case of that old saying “victory has many fathers but defeat is an orphan,” chuckle.

According to Pearl Wilcox, Henry Rummel was, in fact, the harness maker who won against Truman. He was also a deputy county marshal. He was placed on the ballot by Jackson County Marshal John L. Miles, a former Army major serving under Truman in WWI.

According to Wilcox, the Marshal placed the reluctant Rummel’s name in the running when no one else could be found. Later, for whatever reason, Miles tried to get Rummel to withdraw but Rummel apparently was tasting an upset and refused to do so.

Also, according to Wilcox, in the same year of 1924 the Jackson County Marshal office was renamed to that of the Jackson County Sheriff.

She does not say if Rummel ran again in 1926, but Truman won a position on the court back that year.

Rummel died in 1961.

Miles later became Chief of Police of Kansas City. The last Wilcox mentions of him was that he was a Jackson County election commissioner from 1936 – 1940.

I recall going with my mom to see Rufus Burrus in the late forties or early fifties. "Rufus Burrus" was painted on the opaque glass window of the door to his office. He had an office either over the Katz drug store or on the second floor of the business building on the northeast corner of Main and Lexington. The only thing I can recall is that the place was stuffy.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:24 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
This may be a case of that old saying “victory has many fathers but defeat is an orphan,” chuckle.

According to Pearl Wilcox, Henry Rummel was, in fact, the harness maker who won against Truman. He was also a deputy county marshal. He was placed on the ballot by Jackson County Marshal John L. Miles, a former Army major serving under Truman in WWI.

According to Wilcox, the Marshal placed the reluctant Rummel’s name in the running when no one else could be found. Later, for whatever reason, Miles tried to get Rummel to withdraw but Rummel apparently was tasting an upset and refused to do so.

Also, according to Wilcox, in the same year of 1924 the Jackson County Marshal office was renamed to that of the Jackson County Sheriff.

She does not say if Rummel ran again in 1926, but Truman won a position on the court back that year.

Rummel died in 1961.

Miles later became Chief of Police of Kansas City. The last Wilcox mentions of him was that he was a Jackson County election commissioner from 1936 – 1940.

I recall going with my mom to see Rufus Burrus in the late forties or early fifties. "Rufus Burrus" was painted on the opaque glass window of the door to his office. He had an office either over the Katz drug store or on the second floor of the business building on the northeast corner of Main and Lexington. The only thing I can recall is that the place was stuffy.
The office for Rufus Burrus, Attorney at Law, was above the Katz Drug Store. He was a longtime friend and attorney for Harry Truman. The third floor on the NE corner of Main & Lexington was the hangout where they played poker together, along with a few other cronies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City