Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,472,751 times

Advertisements

If'n my feeble memory is functioning this morning, I think the K-Mart at 16200 E US 24 Highway opened prior to the Noland Road store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 AM

What event in Independence history had people standing in a line, 5-6 abreast, over 1/2 mile long, a line which lasted at least 36 hours?

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times
What is the name of the ten story tower on US 24 east of M-291 at Jennings Road?

I think that building started out as luxury apartments but may now be government housing?

I cannot recall what year of construction--maybe sixties--but I seem to recall there was some type of discussion during city council approval that the city did not have an aerial ladder that would reach the top floor should that building catch on fire.

Would be interesting to know if the city ever purchased an aerial truck to go that high. I think the city did but cannot recall.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
What event in Independence history had people standing in a line, 5-6 abreast, over 1/2 mile long, a line which lasted at least 36 hours?
Took place in 70s?

Old 01-06-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
What is the name of the ten story tower on US 24 east of M-291 at Jennings Road?

I think that building started out as luxury apartments but may now be government housing?

I cannot recall what year of construction--maybe sixties--but I seem to recall there was some type of discussion during city council approval that the city did not have an aerial ladder that would reach the top floor should that building catch on fire.

Would be interesting to know if the city ever purchased an aerial truck to go that high. I think the city did but cannot recall.

It was originally called Baptist Towers Apartments ( I'm not sure why). Today it is Independence Towers.

Independence Towers Apartments*- Welcome | Apartments - Independence, MO

Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Took place in 70s?
Yup. Here is a photo I took of the line.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
It was originally called Baptist Towers Apartments ( I'm not sure why). Today it is Independence Towers.

Independence Towers Apartments*- Welcome | Apartments - Independence, MO
The largest apartment is 771 square feet but the price seems reasonable, at least compared to prices out here.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Yup. Here is a photo I took of the line.
I was stationed in Thailand at the time but subscribing to the Examiner. So I was able to keep up, albeit a week later, with the detailed goings on. We did not have Armed Forces radio or TV in Thailand but there were three English language papers in Bangkok that provided very minimal information. And, unlike in Germany when Eisenhower died we did not have a formation anywhere to pay tribute. It was business as usual.

Temporary double bunks were set up wall to wall in the Truman gym and maybe elsewhere with troops from Fort Riley.

I recall that some of the troops were in awe because they had never seen so many hamburger joints in one place (Noland Road).

Others were taken aback by how large the city was compared to their previous thinking that Independence was a small town.

Another set of troops were grumbling because they were inconvenienced by having to come to Independence just to bury some old guy that was the president a long time ago, chuckle. I would imagine that not too many years later these same guys were spouting that they were on the Truman burial detail and probably fondly recalled their presence.

There was a major at Fort Riley whose duty was to call an Independence number (maybe the library) every morning when he got to work and find out the status of Truman. Whoever he was, he was the action officer who set the wheels in motion once the fort got the word that Truman had passed on.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:50 PM

908 posts, read 724,568 times
Quote:
My guess would be paying respects for some famous person.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 PM

908 posts, read 724,568 times
Quote:
What a difference 6 years makes!

40 Highway is the diagonal street, 47th St runs across near the bottom. The eastern boundary is the MOPAC RR just west of Noland. Near the west side is Pittman Road.
What a difference two year make. I left for Germany in 1964 and no Interstate. When I returned in 1966, not only wasI-70 there, but Noland Road was developed pretty much to 40 Hiway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City