Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times

Advertisements

[quote=MRG Dallas;37919217]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The Truman Funeral was a very big deal around here. I took a few photos, and have a few memories to accompany them.

HST's body was prepared by Carson's on Lexington. There was a private viewing for the family there. From there a formal procession made its way to the Truman Library. The entire route was closed hours in advance. Each side of the route was closed by white rope, with soldiers in dress uniform spaced about every 20 feet. Police from multiple agencies helped close streets and redirect traffic.

The porch just visible along the right rear is on the home of Ms. Etzenhouser. She was the Bryant Elementary teacher that thwarted the kidnapping of young Margaret.

What was the (approximate) address of Ms. E?

426 N Delaware, if'n my feeble memory has had enough coffee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
I was very fortunate to be immersed in this bit of history. It started with a visit to my home by the Associated Press. They were looking for a photography darkroom to use for the event. They heard from a neighbor that I had one in the basement, and wanted to check it out for possible rental. They found the location was perfect, midway between the Truman Home & the Truman Library. Unfortunately it was much too small and too primitive for their needs. They ended up using a darkroom at the Independence Sanitarium & Hospital.

Fortunately that contact led to a job. The AP hired me and several other neighborhood kids as film couriers. We accompanied their photographers to events. They would shoot a bunch, and then hand us rolls of film. We then jumped on our bikes and peddled to the San. We were cheaper than adults, and bikes were more practical than cars due to the number of closed streets in the area. I still have my press pass from the event.

amazing.

Sears Roebuck catalog use to sell "complete" kits for black and white developing along with how to book, etc. From time to time from high school on, I would look in the catalog and think I wanted to get one, but was always on the move or did not have room. One fellow I knew from my railroading interest explained that B&W was rather simple but color was a lot more engaging, more chemicals, etc.

After moving to my present house in '96 I decided I had the room and looked in the Sears catalog and they were no longer available. I even called catalog sales and they were not available. Asking around, folks said they never heard of such kits. I probably could have gone to a local camera shop but gave it up.

Based on the first digital cameras that came out, I never thought it would ever be the way to go.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs61 View Post
Yes I remember the roller coaster 7 hills. As I recall the speed limit was 70 going over those hills. Fun... There was a grocery store right next to the turnoff to the "hills" as I recall but it's long since gone.

Yes I remember that bridge. There was another bridge over a creek or something about 1/2 mile west of Kiger road on Truman Road heading toward Independence. I think I remember a kid getting killed there in a car wreck in the late 50's or early 60's while I was still in school.
I believe this is that grocery store and service station. It is just south of the corner of M-7 and FF (Truman Road), before turning east on Truman to head in the direction of seven hills. A couple years ago on a visit to Independence, I drove out there and road the hills at a decent speed. Did not seem as intimidating as I remembered it. It is a wonder someone was not killed taking those hills at breakneck speed. The road is paved with a basic but now old asphalt pavement.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 AM

indepmo:

This station would appear to have been replaced by a power and light substation.

There is a fire station now in the 17700 block of E Bundshu, east of the tower.

Compared to modern day equipment this truck appears rather comical especially in relation to the apartment tower.

The sky-rise in this photo is the tower on Jennings. This is a shot from the parking lot of a fire station on 291 facing northeast.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
indepmo:

This station would appear to have been replaced by a power and light substation.

There is a fire station now in the 17700 block of E Bundshu, east of the tower.

Compared to modern day equipment this truck appears rather comical especially in relation to the apartment tower.

The sky-rise in this photo is the tower on Jennings. This is a shot from the parking lot of a fire station on 291 facing northeast.
The Fire Station sat south of the sub-station, on the south side of Kendall. At that time Kendall connected to M-291. It is now a vacant lot.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Did the 3rd Infantry Old Guard participate?

Those are the fellows in blue dress uniforms with the caisson, riderless horse, etc.

All the Army now wears those dress blues.
The Old Guard website mentions the presidential funerals participated in and does not mention Truman. It appears that they stick close to D.C. They supported Reagan but the procession was in D.C. and then the body flown to California.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
The Old Guard website mentions the presidential funerals participated in and does not mention Truman. It appears that they stick close to D.C. They supported Reagan but the procession was in D.C. and then the body flown to California.
It was the US 5th Army that handled all military duties for the funeral.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
It was the US 5th Army that handled all military duties for the funeral.
I have long since stopped trying to understand the various US Army reorganizations and designations but the 5th Army today is the United States Army North headquartered in Texas.

The 1st Division at Fort Riley was probably under the 5th Army at the time.

At the time I was in, there were various field armies, such as the 5th, 6th, 1st, 2nd, etc., that came under an Army Group called the Continetnal US Army. That Continental Army Group became the Forces Command, which is now headquartered at Ft. Bragg, NC.

The 7th US Army was in Europe and the 8th US Army was in Korea. It appears the 8th US Army may be the only active field Army left. When I was in the reserve I was in the 6th US Army.

There was a tremendous amount of reductions in force conducted by Congress during the 90s and early 2000s that caused so much reorganization. Richards-Gebaur, among many other bases and posts, was caught in that reduction.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I have long since stopped trying to understand the various US Army reorganizations and designations but the 5th Army today is the United States Army North headquartered in Texas.

The 1st Division at Fort Riley was probably under the 5th Army at the time.

At the time I was in, there were various field armies, such as the 5th, 6th, 1st, 2nd, etc., that came under an Army Group called the Continetnal US Army. That Continental Army Group became the Forces Command, which is now headquartered at Ft. Bragg, NC.

The 7th US Army was in Europe and the 8th US Army was in Korea. It appears the 8th US Army may be the only active field Army left. When I was in the reserve I was in the 6th US Army.

There was a tremendous amount of reductions in force conducted by Congress during the 90s and early 2000s that caused so much reorganization. Richards-Gebaur, among many other bases and posts, was caught in that reduction.
The Congressional effort was actually called the Base Realignment and Closure Act.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Time for a tough Trivia teaser!

What does the fountain (decorative, not drinking) from the Granada Theater have in common with the brass fireman's pole from old Fire Station #1?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City