Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs61 View Post
Here's what I found about gold in Kansas.

Early in 1858, reports were circulated of gold being discovered at Cherry Creek, located at the foot of the Rockies in what was western Kansas Territory. The trickle of gold seekers heading west soon turned into a torrent. Kansas newspapers were filled with stories about gold, some real and most imagined. Reminiscent of the 1849 stampede of '49ers to Sutter's Mill in California, hundreds were lured to the mountains. The prospectors soon learned that "all that glitters is not gold" and some of the wagons that had gone west bearing the slogan, "Pike's Peak or Bust," creaked back home relabeled, "Pike's Peak and Busted."

Again, in 1896, there were reports of gold being discovered in Kansas. Stories claimed that gold was found at Hollenberg that assayed out at $10 to $20 per ton. Once more the gold seekers were doomed to disappointment and the crowds departed as quickly as they came, leaving Hollenberg to return to being a quiet village in Washington County.

It appears that it is arguable that gold was ever discovered in Kansas.
There were a lot of people who were busted but the discovery of gold was genuine. When I first came here to Colorado, mining pans (both metal and plastic) were available in a lot of stores and I have even seen them even in grocery stores. You use to see people panning in the streams around here but that seems to have subsided over the years--which translated means I don't get out and about that much anymore. Never heard of any individual big finds though. Today, there are two or three gold producing mines working in this area.

As a number of people know I am in Centennial, Colorado—not James Michener’s town of Centennial but a city of 110,000 created in 2000.

My home sits in what was once Kansas.

I have seen articles that the Great Kansas Gold Rush started when gold was discovered in Denver City, Ks (now Denver, CO) north of here; on Cherry Creek just a stone’s throw from here; on Clear Creek (where Coors gets its water) north of here and near Pike’s Peak quite a ways south of here.

When speaking of areas of the U.S., the pioneers did not differentiate between territory and state. Same for today—when we travel to Guam, we do not say we are headed for Guam Territory. Same for Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.

I had heard about the Hollenberg "discovery." The very first gold strike in the U.S. occurred in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Kansas Street is a major Independence Street--even though it is two lane and short, consisting of less than a mile running east-west a block south of the square and another 1300 feet east off Lee's Summit Road.

How did Kansas Street get its name?

There was no way it could have been named for the state (1861) or the territory (1854).

W. L. Webb says Kansas Street was named in 1849 (the year Independence was incorporated) after the village of Kansas, which came along some time in the thirties and was incorporated as the City of Kansas in 1853 and in 1889 became Kansas City.

One would think that Kansas Street being so close to the public square was one of the original streets laid out in 1827 when Independence was founded. Probably so and so there is a possibility it might have been named for the French settlement of Canses, which came into existence around 1800 near current day 10th and Jefferson in KC and was still in existence in 1827.

There was also at the time a rather large undefined area called Kanzas to the west of the Missouri boundary where the Kanza Indians resided. If the street was named in 1827, It could have been named for that area.

A few years ago, I saw an article giving over 100 ways to spell “Kansas,” which included Canses, Kanzas, and Kanza.

For some more fun, why is the state of Kansas called “Kansas” and the state of Arkansas is called “Arkansaw”?

Keep in mind that within the state of Kansas the Arkansas River is called the “RKansas” River and the city on that river is called “RKansas City” (or Ark City by the locals) rather than “Arkansaw City.” This river runs through a few states including Colorado but Kansas is the only state that calls this river by the “RKansas” name. Wichita also calls its Arkansas Street, “RKansas” Street rather than “Arkansaw” Street.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:41 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
It is 1957. What Independence landmark is still a few years away from occupying a portion of the land viewed here?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It is 1957. What Independence landmark is still a few years away from occupying a portion of the land viewed here?

When I was in early grade school, the Bobbsey twins played there.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:20 AM

908 posts, read 725,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
When I was in early grade school, the Bobbsey twins played there.
Does that make it the 40 Hiway Drive-In?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
You are off by many miles!

Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Er, what I meant was that the Bobbsey twins used that area as a playground before the landmark developed. At least I think it was the Bobbsey twins, I know it was twins, though.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
Quote:

Had to use the Bing; (the map not the crooner). Anyway, looks like maybe could be I think you know the future site of The Twin drive in. That would be Kentucky rd at the top or north, 71 by pass on the right, Swearingen rd to the south.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Had to use the Bing; (the map not the crooner). Anyway, looks like maybe could be I think you know the future site of The Twin drive in. That would be Kentucky rd at the top or north, 71 by pass on the right, Swearingen rd to the south.
The Winner you are! The Twin Drive-In will build on that site in 1965.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:42 AM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
Quote:
The Winner you are! The Twin Drive-In will build on that site in 1965.
Page 777, my lucky page!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City