Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 09:45 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It would appear that I haven't triggered any memories, which is rather surprising! Perhaps a wider view would help...

Now at least two of you should be slapping yourselves upon the forehead!

Photo taken more than fifty years ago. The site is not within the city limits of Independence--is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 06:55 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Photo taken more than fifty years ago. The site is not within the city limits of Independence--is that correct?
It is indeed within the city limits, and even at the time of the photos had been for many years.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
It is indeed within the city limits, and even at the time of the photos had been for many years.

Only thing I can come close to is the Alton Plaza in the lower left. 23rd and Crysler in the lower right.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Only thing I can come close to is the Alton Plaza in the lower left. 23rd and Crysler in the lower right.
Hey MRGDallas and CaseyMO, do y'all agree?

Old 02-08-2015, 03:07 PM

320 posts, read 309,818 times
Quote:
Hey MRGDallas and CaseyMO, do y'all agree?
I'm neither one of the them but I agree after cking bing and Google maps.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
I'm neither one of the them but I agree after cking bing and Google maps.
They must be napping! It is indeed the Alton Plaza Shopping Center.

Your new quiz will be tougher. What is the connection between the two structures circled in this view? (It is the same area as before.)

Old 02-08-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
In the old, but not so old, days, a group of 200 Independence citizens met at the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building at Pleasant and Maple. A corporation was formed called the Centennial Company.

A local automobile dealer took the helm of this company, which had a goal of building a project that would potentially be of benefit to every citizen in the city. Funding was obtained from a New York firm.

The local company spent well over a million dollars on a project that was an overwhelming and resounding success.

Three years later, however, this local company let their project go for only thirty-six percent of its original cost.

What was the project?
Development of the Little Blue Valley?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Development of the Little Blue Valley?
No, that is not it. It is more or less gone but still beneficial to many Independence residents, today.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 02-08-2015 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
They must be napping! It is indeed the Alton Plaza Shopping Center.

Your new quiz will be tougher. What is the connection between the two structures circled in this view? (It is the same area as before.)

The Noland house on Forest Street is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The old relocated C&A depot is a local Historic Landmark Property

Old 02-08-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
One first had to own something in order to make good use of this item—although if one had a strong tree in the yard, use could be made there also.

After the turn of the century, this place was the first ever proprietorship in Independence to sell these things when the market was rather slow but steadily improved.

The business was first situated at Main and White Oak where today there is a parking lot but eventually moved to the two hundred block of west Maple, where today there is a parking lot.

What was the name of the proprietorship and what was it selling?

I remember the name vividly because granddaughter Julie was a semi-finalist in a McCoy School 3rd grade classroom multiplication contest in 1949 and after the final I have never gotten over the fact that she beat me by a hair.
Schulenberg Tire Shop selling tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City