U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 AM

716 posts, read 468,981 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the great pics Mad. The ice pic reminded me of the 1957 ice storm in KC when my ride went home early, my floor didn't get off work until the buses and taxis quit running. I started walking from 9th & Grand to Armour & Troost. I walked a few blocks until my feet were so numb I couldn't keep them from slipping. I got in a phone booth to get out of the wind and called my wife who came and got me in an old '52 Chevy 2 dr. with just street tires. I was sure glad to see my lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Dear Mad: No I can't tell what that building is. But I'd love to see more photo's. Do you recall the old Independence Laundry? Not sure the street it was on. I think it was on a N/S st. just south of Lexington a cpl blks from the square. There was a big painted sign on the side of the brick bldg, filled up the whole wall. My Mom worked there before I was born, then we'd take our laundry there when I was small. Didn't see it last time I was back.

Mokan, glad for your input! Yes we had all kinds of dept. stores and small shops selling anything you could want when I was growing up there. I had a pt job at Jones on Liberty while in high school. I was so good at selling dresses to the lil ole ladies that the senior saleswomen really hated me cause it made them lose all their commissions! There was Lerner's, Mode O'Day, for womens clothes and Kneopker's had a separate men's store next to their dept. store. Then there was a sporting goods store right next to that.

You're right on. Kansas City proper was a bustling 'core' and periodically we'd take the big K.C. bus over there to expand our shopping experience. I don't recall the names of the main streets now, but the bus used to stop at a huge several story dept. store named Emery-Bird-Thayer and my Mom and I would get off there, go into EmeryBird's and have lunch in their big dining room. Harzfeld's was right across the street, a very high class but smaller dept. store and Chandler's Shoe Store was right in there too. It was a cut above the shoe stores in Indep. I think. I had a narrow heel and wider instep so went there to get shoes with a 'combination last.' Splurged and spent 8.99 a pair! This was in the 50s. On down the hill you ran into a humongous dept. store, Jones', I think. We shopped there a lot. Of course Jenkins' Music Store (around there somewhere) was THE place to go for records and musical instruments. You could go to the second floor and into a booth to listen to the albums you couldn't afford to buy. Indep. also had a small music store where you could do the same thing. Don't recall the street, but west of the square.

I'm glad I wasn't there when the malls and centers took over. It would've broken my heart. On the other hand, it might've been easier to watch it all happen gradually then to come back decades later and find the square virtually deserted in comparison, and Noland Rd. a gargantuan "strip mall" heading South where used to be fields and open spaces on the way to the Hwy 40 Drive-In Theater!

Please keep adding your thoughts; it's very encouraging. TTYL
Hi Sally,
I lived in Indep. most of my life until I graduated from Wm Chris in 1960. I was wondering if you or someone has any idea what was the name of the movie theatre just off the square. I went there many times and my brother and I got to discussing the stores that use to be there and we just are not able to remember the theatre name.

Thanks Loretta

Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM

1,326 posts, read 401,842 times
Hey Loretta,

I think you are referring to the Granada Theater at Maple and Spring. It was the last of the old theaters to survive uptown. It is and the building are long gone, and I don't have any photos of it in my collection. I went there many times as a kid in the late 60s, early 70s.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,734 times
Thank you so much, my brother and I have been going nuts trying to figure out the name.

Again thanks, and yes I spent many an evening at that theatre

Loretta

Old 03-10-2012, 08:27 PM

150 posts, read 212,145 times
Hey, Folks, I'm badk !! Sorry to be away so long--had to take a trip and couldn't get to a computer. Love the pic of the girls sunning around the boys' gym track. I well remember that concave hardwood track, although I never got to see it but a cpl times. Am impressed with the girls' gym clothes! When I went to Ole Willy Chris, our P.E. "uniforms" were one-piece royal blue bloomers with shirts attached and had gripper snaps down the front. Oh, yeah! Wonder when the tees and shorts were adopted?

I remember the lil towns adjacent to Indep. Englewood, etc. And I knew Petey Childers and his brother as my parents did.I think Englewood had a theater as well as Maywood. Drove thru there last time I was back there! Yes, Loretta, the Granada holds many wonderful memories for me. I'm sure I mentioned it in my earlier entries, didn't I/ Started going there when I was two and quit when I was l9 because I left Indep. at that time. Loved the beauty of its decor, although it was plain on the outside. My boy friend was ticket taker there and recently I saw an ad for Lady and the Tramp on TV which reminded me that I saw this movie at the Granada probably in l955 with friends and my boy friend would come down the aisle whenever he could, walkinto the row of seats behind us and sit down and nuzzle my neck from behind. Such a sweeie. I HATED learning the wonderful old theater had been closed--much less demolished. It's a crime!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM

BD ,what thread did you find me on in your "neck of the woods'? I do get around when I can.

M , I so enjoyed the l945 pix! i know what those streets are, I think! I was nine and still lived there.

I am not in Calif. anymore, am in Colorado now. But may move again soon. Any more old photos?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM

Welcome back Sally, I was starting to think you didn't love us anymore! I am working on a photo for you, but haven't had time to pull it off. In the meantime I'll dive back into my collection for another I took in my junior high days at Willie Chris. (Shot with my trusty Kodak Brownie!)

This is the auditorium on the third floor of the old William Chrisman on west Maple. We were having a talent show celebrating George Washington's birthday.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 PM

Mad, this stage holds many happy memories for me. I performed in pageants there, one-act plays and had one of the leads in the Senior Play in l954. I loved drama! My girl friend and I went in and looked at the auditorium when we were in Indep. for Reunion in 2004. What a treat! We (all classes) ate our lunch in there every day, too. (paper bags) except on the days we might decide to run up to Luff's on Lexington for dime burgers. YUM! No, no, I still love you. Ha! Wish I had a laptop to take with me when I'm away.Do love all the pix, they're wonderful. Thanks so much. How did you get a Kodak Brownie pic onto the computer? That's the camera I grew up with. My old albums are full of Kodak pix from My mother's Brownie. It was years before I realized cameras had other names besides Kodak !! That pic of a square intersection is on Lexington I'm sure, at Liberty. I can see the wonderful big old Post Office in the background on the right, a cpl blocks West of square. And is that the Chrisman Sawyer bank on the SW corner with steps coming down directly to the corner ? It's great to see the old cars. I was nine that year and we traversed the Square all the time! I wish we could get more folks to participate here. But nevertheless I appreciate all of you who do.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 PM

Phooey, I shouldn't have relied on my memory. Just looked at the photos from '45 and sorry, Mokan, I made a boo-boo. The top pic with the old P. O. in background ( top of it) didn't show an intersection but I still believe the street shown in W. Lexington. That's surely the Presbyterian Church spire way in the rear. The other pic that shows the corner building with steps, that's not Lex. and Lib. Maybe N. Liberty and W. Maple? Don't know. (I kinda combined the pix in my "memory")! Love to see MORE of those, though. Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 AM

It was easy Sally, I just scanned my old negatives into the computer.

In my post (#61)(post numbers are in the upper right of each post) you are looking north on Liberty from Lexington. The large white building with the beveled corner is the old Bank of Independence, at that time it was King Optical. It has a short flight of steps up to the door.

In post #70 you are looking west on Lexington from Main. The old First National Bank tower is the tallest, just past it is the Chrisman-Sawyer Bank.

If time allows I'll post at least one more this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City