Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,716,408 times

Advertisements

Ok, I did the Streetview Nostalgic Tour from Noland west along 40. I now see where Cascio's was. Just couldn't picture that stretch of 40 until now. Sad to see how that area had dilapidated (Dollar Store, Pawn/Check Cashing, etc.) Even Strike N Spare is now AMF lol. The Mall gone. At least there is a Cadillac dealer and the Blue Ridge Bank building. And @ Norfleet the site of my first fender bender barely a few weeks past 16. Ah such memories lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Given the location of Manor Oaks, what was there before development? I suspect it was farm land that was the last to be sold off in that part of town? Anyone know the history of the subdivision? It looks only to be 5 or so streets but there has to be much older neighborhoods that surrounded it.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 AM

237 posts, read 252,552 times
I didn't forget you all! Though I was only out during Santa Caligon this year on Friday (which was ruined due to rain) and Monday (which was extremely hot), I did manage to get some photos of the occasion.

www.photobucket.com/santacaligon12

Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,685,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Given the location of Manor Oaks, what was there before development? I suspect it was farm land that was the last to be sold off in that part of town? Anyone know the history of the subdivision? It looks only to be 5 or so streets but there has to be much older neighborhoods that surrounded it.
There is a Manor Oaks homeowners subdivision charter or by laws on the web that shows it was created in 1954. That must have been an isolated farmland out there at the time.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
I didn't forget you all! Though I was only out during Santa Caligon this year on Friday (which was ruined due to rain) and Monday (which was extremely hot), I did manage to get some photos of the occasion.

www.photobucket.com/santacaligon12
Those photos are cool. I have never been to a Santa-Cali-Con except for the one in the late forties and the only thing I remember about that one is that men were growing beards.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:14 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,418,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Was the Calico Cat on 23rd Street (or Alton)
I believe I ate in the Fairmount Cafe a number of times, if it was on the north side of Independence Ave.
The original Calico Cat burned down in the 80s or so. They rebuilt on the same site.

Quote:
MRG, do you have anything on a Starlet or Starlight or Starlite drive in eatery that was on US Highway 24 near River Boulevard?

It is long gone, but in the fifties it was supposed to have been a popular favorite for high school kids. I can recall going there only once or twice. I think it had car hops.

At 23rd and Leslie was a Mugs Up with car hops that was opened around 1955. I was a frequent customer. On my last trip, I noticed that it is still going.
We remember the Starlite. It may have been around until the early 80s. Mugs Up is still going.

Quote:
Do you remember the Clark Super 100 gasoline stations in the area?

I am thinking there was one on Highway 24 between the Truman Library and William Chrisman.

All they sold was high octane gas. You could not fill up with regular.
It was the NW corner of 24 Hiway and Main, and still open in the late 70s.

Quote:
Did Independence only go that far west in 1969? Surely not. There must be a continual listing for US 24/Independence Ave. westward. Further research is warranted!
The strange numbering is due to old city limits. Most, but not all, streets and buildings within the city limits prior to the early 60s were numbered on the Independence system, starting from the Square. Anything outside those limits was numbered on the KC system. All new streets outside the old limits are now on the KC system. A few exceptions were made, just to further confuse things. Several apartment complexes were allowed to have their own numbering system, such as Stone Arch, Hillside, and Sundown. On a few streets that were on the old city border there are still houses that are numbered from Indep if built prior to the change, while the house next door could be numbered from KC because it was built after. It was enough to keep a dispatcher on his toes.

Quote:
Here is a question. What year did McDonald's arrive in Independence?

I know I was patronizing one in 1963 or 64. It was a few doors down from Cascio's Food Mart on US Highway 40--and I do not believe it is there any longer. I dont know whether it was the first one or not.

I don't recall the year McDonald's arrived, but I do recall being happy because there was finally one in town.
The only one I know along 40 Hiway was on the SW corner of 40 & Hardy. It closed at least 10 years ago.

Quote:
The owner, Ben Cascio, moved from Kansas City to Manor Oaks in Independence. At the time, Manor Oaks was the richest subdivision in town with $100,000 houses. I don't know what the richest subdivision would be today.

I think Big Boy is where the McDonalds was at or it could have been just east of there.
One of the richest neighborhoods in town now might be the Dominion, which sits on the hill just east of Lee's Summit Rd between Crackerneck Road and 34th Terr.

McDonalds wasn't at the Big Boy location, they have been there 50 years, as they just celebrated that anniversary.

Quote:
Ok, I did the Streetview Nostalgic Tour from Noland west along 40. I now see where Cascio's was. Just couldn't picture that stretch of 40 until now. Sad to see how that area had dilapidated (Dollar Store, Pawn/Check Cashing, etc.) Even Strike N Spare is now AMF lol. The Mall gone. At least there is a Cadillac dealer and the Blue Ridge Bank building. And @ Norfleet the site of my first fender bender barely a few weeks past 16. Ah such memories lol.
Sad to report that the Caddy dealer is closing. The dealership has sold, and the operation will move into the Galen Boyer dealership on Noland.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 PM

About 1964, I was stopped at the stoplight at US Highway 40 and Crysler. I had just left Cascio’s Food Mart and I heard a strange whining noise on the highway. I looked over in the lane beside me and there was a Chrysler Turbine Car. I only recognized it because of reading about it in Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Mechanix Illustrated.

Officially, the Chrysler Turbine Car was supposed to have sounded like a vacuum cleaner or a jet plane. All I heard was a whining noise. The turbine engine ran on most any kind of fossil fuel and vegetable oil. It did not have a radiator and there was no carbon monoxide in the exhaust.

Only 50 of these vehicles were made and they were all the same style and color—two door hardtop. And, you could not buy one. Chrysler loaned them out randomly to selected ordinary citizens, including women, to test drive for three months or so and report their results.

Overall the Chrysler Turbine Car was a failure.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM

237 posts, read 252,552 times
Lol! - sounds like something i would remember too.

Quote:
Those photos are cool. I have never been to a Santa-Cali-Con except for the one in the late forties and the only thing I remember about that one is that men were growing beards.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas
Did Independence only go that far west in 1969? Surely not. There must be a continual listing for US 24/Independence Ave. westward. Further research is warranted!

The strange numbering is due to old city limits. Most, but not all, streets and buildings within the city limits prior to the early 60s were numbered on the Independence system, starting from the Square. Anything outside those limits was numbered on the KC system. All new streets outside the old limits are now on the KC system. A few exceptions were made, just to further confuse things. Several apartment complexes were allowed to have their own numbering system, such as Stone Arch, Hillside, and Sundown. On a few streets that were on the old city border there are still houses that are numbered from Indep if built prior to the change, while the house next door could be numbered from KC because it was built after. It was enough to keep a dispatcher on his toes.

So that makes me wonder how far back one would have to go to see that area west of 1700 W US 24 not be part of Independence, MO. The Polk's for 1960 says west to the "city limits" That would not even include Sterling and I don't ever recall that not being Independence. Was that further west portion unincorporated and not annexed by KC until Independence grabbed it? Anyone know?

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 09-09-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 PM

MRG

http://www.ci.independence.mo.us/Use...nnexations.pdf

I think the answer is 1961 when that area came into Independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City