Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 01:28 PM

37 posts, read 35,408 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mad Anthonie, that is it. More of a pond than a lake and it sat in the middle of a field. There was a concession stand but not much else that I recall. I have pictures from there from around 1959 that I will have to dig out.
Also, I think I have found Sunny Shores in the 1963 aerial (2DD-90) right in the northwest corner of Noland and Banister. No wonder I cant' find indications of these places in google maps- they are long gone. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 01:47 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
It felt a long, long way too, even if the speed limit was 50 mph. We lived near Noland/40 and it was rather scary after I got my license to take Noland to 50 Hwy and back. I hated the two lanes and curves and remember someone dying about that time in an accident, rolling down an embankment and lodging up against some trees. More often I'd do the "scenic" and safer route via Blue Ridge to Raytown Rd, to 50.
Out there somewhere on Noland between 40 and 50, one would take a left turn and head for Camp Prairie Schooner, which was a Girl Scout camp.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:48 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,472,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWC75 View Post
Thanks Mad Anthonie, that is it. More of a pond than a lake and it sat in the middle of a field. There was a concession stand but not much else that I recall. I have pictures from there from around 1959 that I will have to dig out.
Also, I think I have found Sunny Shores in the 1963 aerial (2DD-90) right in the northwest corner of Noland and Banister. No wonder I cant' find indications of these places in google maps- they are long gone. Thanks again for your help.
Can I assume then that you have found my secret decoder ring?

Old 06-27-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Out there somewhere on Noland between 40 and 50, one would take a left turn and head for Camp Prairie Schooner, which was a Girl Scout camp.
Did you spend much time there?

Old 06-27-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
This fellow has a five-mile long street in Independence named after him.

One of his claims to fame (?) is that he ordered a huge number of expensive ten-cent cigars after a salesman gave him a great and perhaps extraordinary sales pitch.

Our subject must have thought the sales pitch was over hyped or comical and believing the order could not be processed bluffed an order for 10,000 of the miracle smokes.

A few days later, 10,000 showed up in a shipment.

He could not hope to sell them at retail so he advertised them at 5 cents a pop, incurring a substantial loss.

Who is this guy?
You must mean the street that used to be longer than it is now. It is also found in Blue Springs, a broken continuation of a very crooked street named for a reasonably honest man.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Did you spend much time there?
I spent overnight there--with the Boy Scouts. We had the entire place to ourselves, I think more than once. I also visited there when my sister was in Girl Scouts.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
You must mean the street that used to be longer than it is now. It is also found in Blue Springs, a broken continuation of a very crooked street named for a reasonably honest man.
The street always seemed long to me.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:14 PM

320 posts, read 309,780 times
Quote:
This fellow has a five-mile long street in Independence named after him.

One of his claims to fame (?) is that he ordered a huge number of expensive ten-cent cigars after a salesman gave him a great and perhaps extraordinary sales pitch.

Our subject must have thought the sales pitch was over hyped or comical and believing the order could not be processed bluffed an order for 10,000 of the miracle smokes.

A few days later, 10,000 showed up in a shipment.

He could not hope to sell them at retail so he advertised them at 5 cents a pop, incurring a substantial loss.

Who is this guy?

This sort of reminds me of when Cascio’s Food Mart (the largest supermarket west of the Mississippi in advertisements until the claim was legally challenged) opened on Hiway 40 in Independence.

I dont know how many cases were involved, but the owner must have ordered 10,000 cases of Van Camp pork ‘n beans number 303 can and the same amount of Red Top beer in the can for the Grand Opening sale in 1962.

It took almost two years to sell all of this beans and beer at reduced prices.
Robert Daniel Mize
Memorial
Photos
Flowers
Edit
Learn about sponsoring this memorial...
Birth: Mar. 24, 1864
Liberty
Clay County
Missouri, USA
Death: Dec. 19, 1915
Independence
Jackson County
Missouri, USA

R. D. Mize was a judge of the Jackson County Missouri court, a partner in the Mize Drug Store on the south side of the Independence Missouri Square. R.D. Mize road which runs out east of Independence Missouri, is named for him. I've read that there is also a Roderick D. Mize that came from Kentucky in 1850, who ran a ferry at Little Blue, that is also buried in this cemetery.

Family links:
Parents:
Roderick Shackleford Mize (1827 - 1868)

Spouse:
Mary W. Mize (1866 - 1936)*

Siblings:
Annie Mize Peters (1860 - 1935)*
Robert Daniel Mize (1864 - 1915)
Susie Mize Morris (1876 - 1932)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Woodlawn Cemetery
Independence
Jackson County
Missouri, USA
Plot: Div 1, Sec 7, Bl 28, Lot 1, Sp 7

Created by: Bill Walker
Record added: Sep 20, 2002
Find A Grave Memorial# 6791751
Robert Daniel Mize
Added by: Bill Walker

Old 06-27-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Robert Daniel Mize
Memorial
Photos
Flowers
Edit
Learn about sponsoring this memorial...
Birth: Mar. 24, 1864
Liberty
Clay County
Missouri, USA
Death: Dec. 19, 1915
Independence
Jackson County
Missouri, USA

R. D. Mize was a judge of the Jackson County Missouri court, a partner in the Mize Drug Store on the south side of the Independence Missouri Square. R.D. Mize road which runs out east of Independence Missouri, is named for him. I've read that there is also a Roderick D. Mize that came from Kentucky in 1850, who ran a ferry at Little Blue, that is also buried in this cemetery.

Family links:
Parents:
Roderick Shackleford Mize (1827 - 1868)

Spouse:
Mary W. Mize (1866 - 1936)*

Siblings:
Annie Mize Peters (1860 - 1935)*
Robert Daniel Mize (1864 - 1915)
Susie Mize Morris (1876 - 1932)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Woodlawn Cemetery
Independence
Jackson County
Missouri, USA
Plot: Div 1, Sec 7, Bl 28, Lot 1, Sp 7

Created by: Bill Walker
Record added: Sep 20, 2002
Find A Grave Memorial# 6791751
Robert Daniel Mize
Added by: Bill Walker
R.D. Mize is the answer. He apparently only lived to age 51.

His father R.S. Mize laid out New Independence, Missouri.

When he was a "judge" or county commissioner, R.D. Mize appointed Harry Truman as a road overseer in Washington Township making it his first political appointment according to information on the Truman library web site.

In the old days of horsepower and few cars, townships were the chief road builders and maintainers, responsible for all the roads within their jurisdiction. I had thought, though, that the equivalent of county commissioners in each township did the appointing.

In Kansas, at least, it was often the farmers living along each road who were paid by the township to do the grading etc, and it was up to the road overseer to determine that the road work was done properly and interfaced appropriately into the next farmer graded section, etc. The few designated county and state routes were overseen by each township, also.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:46 AM

239 posts, read 256,872 times
I didn't even know there were houses at Maple and Union. I sure would like to see a map with the houses that were present at one time! Sounds as if there were a LOT of houses at one time that are no longer standing.

Quote:
That particular owner probably refused to sell to them. That church had/has a real-estate arm called Central Development Authority that quietly bought up the properties in that area. They then used them as rental property until they were ready to build.

They own the vacant land between that house and the old auto dealership, but not the lone house. They do own the first two house on Walnut east of the Temple parking lot.

What I don't understand or care for is the destruction of all the houses on the south side of Maple west of Union. That whole block is now an empty yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City