Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 12:26 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

The Missouri and White River Railroad (not to be confused with the Missouri and White River Airline Railroad) was a projected $3 million effort to build a 250-mile railroad in the late 1840s. This is the equivalent of $142m in today’s dollars according to one web site.

The state legislature gave the company the power and authority to build the road along or across any state or county road and the streets of any town corporate or otherwise and over any street or highway.

The road was authorized to charge up to ten cents per mile for passenger traffic and not to exceed 25 cents per ton per mile for freight.

The road was limited to a 150-foot wide right of way and was to be tax exempt for a period of five years from its organization, but the road never got off the ground.

Where was the projected start and end for this road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 02:20 PM

237 posts, read 252,603 times
The square is actually a heavily populated place around lunch time and throughout the day! Well, after 10am or so I'd say. A few people I know have recently commented on how they were surprised how busy it was. While some are shoppers, most are the mischief making kids, employees from the area, or people coming to one of the places of business (courthouse, for example). Yogurtini tends to be busy this time of year. As do many of the restaurants in the area. Fri and Sat nights have small crowds as well as some of the places do generate small groups, like the bowling alley, movie theater, etc. Sundays are the "down day" on the square though! Not much going on at all... except Churches, of course.

There was a take out place called Elaina's (not sure if I spelled that right) at 120 S. Main St for a couple of years until recently. The person in charge decided to retire. They had some decent food there and it was actually becoming quite popular. I noticed on the Facebook Independence group yesterday there is a wine place going in there. It may already be there, not sure.. Top Hat Winery as I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
What's The Square like on a typically decent weather workday around lunchtime? Lots of foot traffic or just a few out and about?

In The Good Ol Daze, the place was jammed packed with shoppers, lookers and mischief making kids like me.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 PM

320 posts, read 305,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The Missouri and White River Railroad (not to be confused with the Missouri and White River Airline Railroad) was a projected $3 million effort to build a 250-mile railroad in the late 1840s. This is the equivalent of $142m in today’s dollars according to one web site.

The state legislature gave the company the power and authority to build the road along or across any state or county road and the streets of any town corporate or otherwise and over any street or highway.

The road was authorized to charge up to ten cents per mile for passenger traffic and not to exceed 25 cents per ton per mile for freight.

The road was limited to a 150-foot wide right of way and was to be tax exempt for a period of five years from its organization, but the road never got off the ground.

Where was the projected start and end for this road?
A source I came across said the RR was to begin in Independence and end at Forsythe in Taney Co. At or near the White River. Without checking further I think the present town of Forsythe is the "new" Forsythe; relocated when the lakes were made. Again I should double check that.
Back to the would-be railroad owners in 1849, part of their original plan was to construct a large warehouse to store trade goods for Santa Fe and other destinations. Any idea why this company never came to fruition?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
A source I came across said the RR was to begin in Independence and end at Forsythe in Taney Co. At or near the White River. Without checking further I think the present town of Forsythe is the "new" Forsythe; relocated when the lakes were made. Again I should double check that.
Back to the would-be railroad owners in 1849, part of their original plan was to construct a large warehouse to store trade goods for Santa Fe and other destinations. Any idea why this company never came to fruition?

I have much the same information. The road was authorized on March 10, 1849, to be constructed from Independence in Jackson County to Forsyth in Taney County (today seven miles east of Branson as the crow flies).

The legislature authorized the railroad to build a large warehouse in Independence that would be used exclusively to store goods destined for the Santa Fe Trail at not to exceed prices set by the legislature. The road from its origination point in Independence may have been envisioned as a tie-in to the terminus of the Independence and Missouri River RR from Wayne City Landing to Independence. In 1849, getting the goods in volume to Independence by water would have been the only reasonable way at the time.

As for the Taney County destination, I wondered the same thing and maybe realistically speaking that is why the road was never built. But, then again maybe some enterprising thinking ahead entrepreneur already had a vision of running tracks into and out of Marvel Cave in Silver Dollar City........

The Missouri and White River Airline RR was authorized in 1855 to be capitalized at $5m.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:48 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
I have much the same information. The road was authorized on March 10, 1849, to be constructed from Independence in Jackson County to Forsyth in Taney County (today seven miles east of Branson as the crow flies).

The legislature authorized the railroad to build a large warehouse in Independence that would be used exclusively to store goods destined for the Santa Fe Trail at not to exceed prices set by the legislature. The road from its origination point in Independence may have been envisioned as a tie-in to the terminus of the Independence and Missouri River RR from Wayne City Landing to Independence. In 1849, getting the goods in volume to Independence by water would have been the only reasonable way at the time.

As for the Taney County destination, I wondered the same thing and maybe realistically speaking that is why the road was never built. But, then again maybe some enterprising thinking ahead entrepreneur already had a vision of running tracks into and out of Marvel Cave in Silver Dollar City........

The Missouri and White River Airline RR was authorized in 1855 to be capitalized at $5m.
I also wonder why they would want to build that route. Taney County seems an unlikely destination. Perhaps they were interested in lumber, but there were lots of closer sources for that.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 AM

Here is a cut and paste from the county seat Forsyth, Taney County, population 2,225, web site:

"Originally located on the shores of the White river at the current site of Shadowrock Park, Forsyth was an important river town from the early 1800’s. Steamboats used to come up river and drop supplies at the town’s docks, which were then transferred to wagons or smaller boats for distribution in the surrounding areas. By the time of the Civil War, Forsyth citizens primarily consisted of farmers due to the rich river bottom soil."

Old 08-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Here is a cut and paste from the county seat Forsyth, Taney County, population 2,225, web site:

"Originally located on the shores of the White river at the current site of Shadowrock Park, Forsyth was an important river town from the early 1800’s. Steamboats used to come up river and drop supplies at the town’s docks, which were then transferred to wagons or smaller boats for distribution in the surrounding areas. By the time of the Civil War, Forsyth citizens primarily consisted of farmers due to the rich river bottom soil."
Ah! I knew not of the steamboats on the White River. That makes the RR make sense.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:48 PM

What do the following addresses all have in common?

9626 E 18th
105 E College
511 S Osage
10609 E 15th
1207 W Maple
2203 Harris
805 W South Avenue
524 S Main
800 S Cottage
1621 N Liberty
324 W Farmer
1101 N Main

There are many other addresses that could be on the list, however, that would make this too easy!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

9626 E 18th
105 E College
511 S Osage
10609 E 15th
1207 W Maple
2203 Harris
805 W South Avenue
524 S Main
800 S Cottage
1621 N Liberty
324 W Farmer
1101 N Main

There are many other addresses that could be on the list, however, that would make this too easy!
All were the site of a mom and pop grocery at one time or another?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:25 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

9626 E 18th
105 E College
511 S Osage
10609 E 15th
1207 W Maple
2203 Harris
805 W South Avenue
524 S Main
800 S Cottage
1621 N Liberty
324 W Farmer
1101 N Main

They were all grocers/markets

In the alternative, they were all gas stations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City