Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 10:50 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWC75 View Post
Mad, your rail map reminds me of another question I have been meaning to ask. This concerns the area within a block or two north of the old Air-line depot on the square. In the late 60's (67-69) someone attempted to open a night club of sorts called the Purple Paisley Pomegranate. Yep, not making that up. It was referred to a being a place for "love-ins" as reflective of the times. It was in an ancient, decrepit, free standing building on the east side of, and facing, Osage. I think maybe it was directly across from the bowling alley. We would pass it on our way to Cochran's record shop. Does anyone recall this business? I don't think we ever saw people near it and possibly it never opened. I am curious as to what the building might have originally been used for as it was considerably older looking than anything else on the square. Might it have been part of the old Air-line facilities? The building was eventually torn down and that area became a parking lot. BTW, I also remember our neighborhood's parents trying 1) to figure out exactly what a "love-in" was, and 2) trying to explain it to their pre-teen kids. Great fun.

Here is a photo from the Jackson County Historical Society that shows the freight depot as specifically being on the east side of Osage between Maple and Truman. The JCHS article says it was there as late as 1964. I remember it sitting there seemingly forgotten and forlorn.

However, I remember it as being set back on the alley entered from Osage and was behind a building that actually faced on east Osage. That remembrance seems to be confirmed by the 1916 Sanborn map. I cannot recall what building actually faced east Osage.

The passenger depot was on the northeast corner of Maple and Osage. A few doors east at Dave's Pizza and Bakery was the depot for the Independence and Missouri River RR.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 11-16-2015 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM

Here is an aerial photo from around 1950-55.

The Chrisman-Sawyer Bank with the red roof on the southwest corner of Lexington and Liberty has not yet been remodeled. The wide concrete parking lot in the lower part of the picture was the Hudson dealership and floor covering store that burned down in 1949, or so. Across the street on Liberty from that parking lot is the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company grocery store.

There is a long thin building on the northeast corner of the alley on Osage between Maple and Truman.

East of that thin building is a dark "hole" in which I am thinking the freight depot stood.

Everyone of those buildings north of that alley were eventually torn down.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 11-16-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 12:25 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Some additional maps showing more detail on the depot area.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Mad, your rail map reminds me of another question I have been meaning to ask. This concerns the area within a block or two north of the old Air-line depot on the square. In the late 60's (67-69) someone attempted to open a night club of sorts called the Purple Paisley Pomegranate. Yep, not making that up. It was referred to a being a place for "love-ins" as reflective of the times. It was in an ancient, decrepit, free standing building on the east side of, and facing, Osage. I think maybe it was directly across from the bowling alley. We would pass it on our way to Cochran's record shop. Does anyone recall this business? I don't think we ever saw people near it and possibly it never opened. I am curious as to what the building might have originally been used for as it was considerably older looking than anything else on the square. Might it have been part of the old Air-line facilities? The building was eventually torn down and that area became a parking lot. BTW, I also remember our neighborhood's parents trying 1) to figure out exactly what a "love-in" was, and 2) trying to explain it to their pre-teen kids. Great fun.
I have no memory (so far) of that establishment. I would have been too young to patronize it, however I was in the area quite often back then. It would be worth a check of the Polk's Directory at the library. The online version is only available up to 1960.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:33 PM

37 posts, read 34,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Here is an aerial photo from around 1950-55.

The Chrisman-Sawyer Bank with the red roof on the southwest corner of Lexington and Liberty has not yet been remodeled. The wide concrete parking lot in the lower part of the picture was the Hudson dealership and floor covering store that burned down in 1949, or so. Across the street on Liberty from that parking lot is the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company grocery store.

There is a long thin building on the northeast corner of the alley on Osage between Maple and Truman.

East of that thin building is a dark "hole" in which I am thinking the freight depot stood.

Everyone of those buildings north of that alley were eventually torn down.

The PPP could have been in the long thin building on the corner of the alley but I think I remember the building having a smaller front on Osage. An ideal candidate would the building to the north of that on the south-east corner of Osage and Truman. If half of that building, closest to Truman, were removed, the remaining half would best match for the location I seem to remember. But that building does not look all that old. I believe that Cochran's is the stand-alone building shown to the north of Truman (on east side of Osage). Does anyone know if that is correct? BTW, the old freight building shown in the previous photo appears to be similar is age and state of repair to the building I am thinking of.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The PPP could have been in the long thin building on the corner of the alley but I think I remember the building having a smaller front on Osage. An ideal candidate would the building to the north of that on the south-east corner of Osage and Truman. If half of that building, closest to Truman, were removed, the remaining half would best match for the location I seem to remember. But that building does not look all that old. I believe that Cochran's is the stand-alone building shown to the north of Truman (on east side of Osage). Does anyone know if that is correct? BTW, the old freight building shown in the previous photo appears to be similar is age and state of repair to the building I am thinking of.
Montgomery Wards was in the building on the northeast corner of Osage and Maple. The next building north on Osage housed the Jackson County Library (now the Mid-Continent Library) that I think extended to the alley. There is some type of Reception Hall there now.

I dont think Cochran's was north of Truman but it might have been.

Cochran's seems to me would be in that thin building. I went into her place several times and even bought a hi-fi stereo from her. I remember a rather Type A woman was in the place but when they moved to the Blue Ridge Mall, a man was there.

Right now, though, I am having RAM difficulties trying to visualize her layout on Osage.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Montgomery Wards was in the building on the northeast corner of Osage and Maple. The next building north on Osage housed the Jackson County Library (now the Mid-Continent Library) that I think extended to the alley. There is some type of Reception Hall there now.

I dont think Cochran's was north of Truman but it might have been.

Cochran's seems to me would be in that thin building. I went into her place several times and even bought a hi-fi stereo from her. I remember a rather Type A woman was in the place but when they moved to the Blue Ridge Mall, a man was there.

Right now, though, I am having RAM difficulties trying to visualize her layout on Osage.
I do remember Cochran's, and my best memory is that it was nearly across from Velvet Freeze. I recall a long, narrow shop with the register and counter on the right as you entered. Augmenting my feeble memory is confirmation from Polk's that Mrs. Florence P. Cochran ran the Cochran Music Shop at 225 N. Osage.

On the east side of Osage working north from Maple we find the following (1960):
211 Jackson County Free Public Library
215 Nash's Cafe
217 Percy Denniston Auto Repair
219 Vacant
225 Cochran Music
225 USAF Recruiting Office
229 Vacant
233 John A. Sea Title Company

W. Van Horn Road intersects

311 McDaniel Title
315 Railway Express Agency
319 Vacant

Kansas City Southern Railway intersects

White Oak Avenue intersects

If'n my feeble memory is functional the RR had ceased operations on this spur in the 1940s, and much of the track removed and the land sold. I recall way back on page xxx of this thread Silver Doc posting that his grandfather had handled the sale of much of the ROW.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:51 PM

37 posts, read 34,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I do remember Cochran's, and my best memory is that it was nearly across from Velvet Freeze. I recall a long, narrow shop with the register and counter on the right as you entered. Augmenting my feeble memory is confirmation from Polk's that Mrs. Florence P. Cochran ran the Cochran Music Shop at 225 N. Osage.

On the east side of Osage working north from Maple we find the following (1960):
215 Nash's Cafe
219 Vacant
225 Cochran Music
229 Vacant

311 McDaniel Title
319 Vacant

If'n my feeble memory is functional the RR had ceased operations on this spur in the 1940s, and much of the track removed and the land sold. I recall way back on page xxx of this thread Silver Doc posting that his grandfather had handled the sale of much of the ROW.

Mad, your memory of Cochran's interior matches mine- counter on the right. Glass shelves behind the counter with 45's stacked and I think the wall behind the shelves was mirrored. I think the front of Cochran's was possibly a yellow brick or some such. So, the building at the south-east corner of Truman and Osage must be where they were located. If that is true the wonderfully named Purple PP must have been between Maple and Cochran's and likely in some portion of the old, long building shown in the photo. As a kid it seemed quite desolate between Maple and Cochran's so perhaps all these other businesses north of the Library that were listed in 1960 were gone by the late 60's and Cochran's was a bit isolated (?). I will be back in the Independence area next May and will quiz my childhood pals to see what they remember.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Mad, your memory of Cochran's interior matches mine- counter on the right. Glass shelves behind the counter with 45's stacked and I think the wall behind the shelves was mirrored. I think the front of Cochran's was possibly a yellow brick or some such. So, the building at the south-east corner of Truman and Osage must be where they were located. If that is true the wonderfully named Purple PP must have been between Maple and Cochran's and likely in some portion of the old, long building shown in the photo. As a kid it seemed quite desolate between Maple and Cochran's so perhaps all these other businesses north of the Library that were listed in 1960 were gone by the late 60's and Cochran's was a bit isolated (?). I will be back in the Independence area next May and will quiz my childhood pals to see what they remember.

I will try to remember to check the Polk's on my next trip to the Library.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

215 Nash's Cafe
219 Vacant
225 Cochran Music
229 Vacant

311 McDaniel Title
319 Vacant

The aerial view from 1957...

...and from 1963.

For both the boundaries are Maple, Spring, Farmer, and Liberty. In both you can see a scar from the old RR roadbed, heading NW from Osage & White Oak.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City