Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 09:28 AM

239 posts, read 256,908 times

Advertisements

Anyone get to either go to or see pictures from the tree lighting ceremony on the square Friday? If not, I'll have to take some pictures. There are decorations on the side of the movie theater, bank of america building, and Truman Courthouse (and other places in that general area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 11:46 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Anyone get to either go to or see pictures from the tree lighting ceremony on the square Friday? If not, I'll have to take some pictures. There are decorations on the side of the movie theater, bank of america building, and Truman Courthouse (and other places in that general area)
I only saw what the Examiner published. If you have more please share.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:32 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Jerry's restaurant (Paliminos last I heard) in Fairmount was open in the sixties on Thanksgiving offering Turkey and all the trimmings. I and my folks went one year and I treated them to the meal. It was a relief for my mother but I felt rather sorry for the waitresses. Dont know if they received holiday pay, or not.

Are there any restaurants open in Independence on Thanksgiving? Just curious.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Jerry's restaurant (Paliminos last I heard) in Fairmount was open in the sixties on Thanksgiving offering Turkey and all the trimmings. I and my folks went one year and I treated them to the meal. It was a relief for my mother but I felt rather sorry for the waitresses. Dont know if they received holiday pay, or not.

Are there any restaurants open in Independence on Thanksgiving? Just curious.
It may be easier to list those that are closed! It seems that Thanksgiving is becoming just another day, with many retailers open most or all of the day. Most restaurants are open to accommodate the growing number of people that don't cook big meals at home. I find it all rather sad...

Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Back in 1960 the Independence directory has 81 listings for a particular category (if I counted correctly!). What is that category, which is still rather popular today?

Old 11-25-2015, 07:30 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Back in 1960 the Independence directory has 81 listings for a particular category (if I counted correctly!). What is that category, which is still rather popular today?

Grocery stores/Markets

Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Grocery stores/Markets
There were a lot of those in olden days, but that isn't the category this time.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
There were a lot of those in olden days, but that isn't the category this time.
Must be eating places.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Must be eating places.

People do occasionally dine in these places, but that is not their primary category.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 PM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE.

Here is a teaser that I will leave up awhile. I will bet that someone will get it sooner or later. I have seen it mentioned a couple times on the overall City-Data U.S. Forums.

This post is unrelated to Long Ago on Independence Square except that I unknowingly became aware of this movie special effect in 1951 when I saw a Gary Cooper movie at the Granada Theater on west Maple Avenue. The special effect is remarkable and I am betting that anyone having input on this thread has seen this special effect in the movies a number of times without realizing it.

The Gary Cooper movie mentioned above was a United States Picture (Warner Brothers) Florida “western” with the Seminoles as the bad guys. One of the supporting stars of the later hit television program Rawhide, created the special effect for Warner Brothers.

I next unknowingly saw it in a 1953 Warner Brothers 3D western movie that was set in California, which I also saw at the Granada. As it turned out, this movie was the third to use it and this 3D movie is significant in that this special effect received its name from a fictional character in this production.

I did not then recognize it as being the same as in the 1951 movie, nor did I know the special effect name. And, although people did not seem to notice, it was used for Indian and white man alike at least three times in this one 1953 movie. Warner Brothers owned the special effect for a number of years and then farmed it out for other studios to use.

According to a history on the use of this special effect, 300-500 movies have featured it including westerns, easterns, Disney movies, cartoons, Indiana Jones movies, Batman movies, Star Wars movies, Toy Story movies, Lord of the Rings, The Simpsons, and even in a Buffalo Wild Wings commercial. It was also in The Titanic.

In all the films mentioned, it is associated with good guys and bad guys alike. But, no one in the audience seems to notice the multi-use. In the Mountain Men starring Charlton Heston it was used three times in less than a minute.

Everyone on this forum has more than likely seen and heard it in several movies but probably no one except maybe die-hard movie goers know it is the exact same effect first used in 1951 and given its name in 1953.

What is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City