Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 20,230 times

Advertisements

I am a single woman in my mid-20s and am relocating to Kansas City. I don't know the area and want to make sure I'm living in a safe area, but would really like to be around stuff to do (preferably walking distance to shops, restaurants, parks etc). I know the Plaza area is supposed to be nice, but it might be a little out of my price range. I've been looking a little south of there (Waldo and near 435 & Wornall for example).

Are there any areas around here that aren't safe and I should avoid? Or are there any other areas maybe a little further out that might also be good options?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Typically, if you want walkable urban neighborhoods, you will have to pay for them and honestly such neighborhoods are extremely lacking in KC with the exception of the Plaza, Westport and parts of Downtown. There are not many apartments in Brookside.

Having said that, SKC between State Line and Holmes from about 85th to Highway 150 has quite a few apartments complexes, most of which are safe. The area is generally known as South Waldo and Watts Mill. South of 435 it becomes Red Bridge and Martin City.

Things get progressively sketchier as you go east into southeast KCMO though.

I wouldn’t call the area walkable though. More inner ring suburban (somewhat urban by KC standards due to the location and the amount of apartments).

Don’t overlook something closer to the city though. It can be very expensive, but there are some good deals too in areas near the Plaza, Westport, River Market etc.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
The town of North Kansas City.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Look at the Volker neighborhood. 39th Street West is a very walkable strip between State Line Rd. and Roanoke Rd and there are plenty of inexpensive, vintage apartment buildings in the area.

I constantly recommend it for just the reasons we moved here: it's safe, walkable and close to everything. We pay $600/month for a huge two-bedroom apartment, but it hasn't been updated in a looong time. Prices in general range from about $400 to about $1000 for 1 and 2 bedroom places.

best of luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

There's also a small complex in the heart of Westport called Westport Manor Apartments that have 1 bedrooms for $599. They're recently updated with hardwood floors, granite countertops, and stainless steel appliances. We actually lived there for our first year in Kansas City, but as a couple with two dogs, the small space (550 sq/ft) was driving us crazy!

It's walkable to all the bars, restaurants and shops in Westport as well as right next door to the grocery store Sun Fresh.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 04-04-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I always felt safe in Waldo, but it wasn't the most easily walkable place I've ever lived, by a long shot.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 PM

34 posts, read 149,963 times
Default My 2 Bits

I live in the South KC area and love it. Check out Community Policing & Neighborhood Crime Statistics | CrimeReports.com i believe. Boone Hills, Western Hills, Sante Fe Hills, Lea Manor, South Waldo, Waldo are all neighborhoods between 435 and Brookside. It has relatively cheap housing, close to the interstate to zip you around town. It also has a a few buses to get you around if need be. Housing costs go anywhere from 600-1200+, all depending on what you want.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthingrin View Post
I am a single woman in my mid-20s and am relocating to Kansas City. I don't know the area and want to make sure I'm living in a safe area, but would really like to be around stuff to do (preferably walking distance to shops, restaurants, parks etc). I know the Plaza area is supposed to be nice, but it might be a little out of my price range. I've been looking a little south of there (Waldo and near 435 & Wornall for example).

Are there any areas around here that aren't safe and I should avoid? Or are there any other areas maybe a little further out that might also be good options?

Thanks for the help!
aragx6, I would never, ever recommend Volker area to a single female who wants to be walking. Coleman Highlands and West Plaza area maybe but even those areas are hit and miss depending on the block.

Link to Kansas City crime map: http://crime.kansascity.com

Difficult to say not knowing your price range. Renting or buying? Really, I'd suggest renting and getting to know the city and the neighborhoods.

I'd suggest looking at both sides of the State Line.
Check zip codes: 64112,64113, 64114, 64145 (all Missouri)

"Close in" on the Missouri side subdivisions: Ward Park, Westmoreland, Romanelli, Armour Fields, Armour Hills, Brookside (W. of Cherry)

Further South Red Bridge (stay W. of Wornall and W. of Minor Drive if you can) Lea Manor is nice for families, large 1950's sprawling ranches with large yards but not walkable to shops really. I'd stay away from Western Hills (Near Ward Parkway Shopping Center) and Indian Hills (SE corner of 85th & Wornall), the areas are cyclical and declining again.

On the Kansas Side: Parts of Roeland Park & Mission.
Fairway, Westwood, Prairie Village, Prairie Fields (but stay 2 streets away from Hy-Vee in any direction), Ranchview and Old Leawood.

Feel free to PM me if you need a Realtor referral.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 06:21 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 12:17 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
aragx6, I would never, ever recommend Volker area to a single female who wants to be walking. Coleman Highlands and West Plaza area maybe but even those areas are hit and miss depending on the block.
What? Coleman Highlands and West Plaza? I would even consider Volker quite safe for an urban area for single women joggers.

If DC went by these standards, there would be thousands of single women off the streets. Thank god that's not the case.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I wouldn't bat an eye at Coleman Highlands, West Plaza, OR Volker as a single female.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 36,327 times
Check out Columbus Park, KC's Little Italy. It's a cool little neighborhood right on the edge of River Market. Has a few good eateries and walkable to all of River Market. I have many friends living there and they all love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City