Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:32 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times

Advertisements

I was visiting KC this weekend and have always heard a lot about Jack stack bbq and Oklahoma Joes. I chose jack stack since my hotel was on the plaza and I was within walking distance. I was really disappointed. I ordered a sampler platter and it didn't even come with a side of BBQ sauce. There was no bbq sauce on any of the tables. IMO, BBQ is as much about the sauce as the meat. When I asked for sauce I was given a small dish with only a few tablespoons of sauce. The sauce was delicious. I love the baked beans. The ribs were great. I didn't care for the sausage or brisket. Overall it wasn't what I expected. I know KC bbq didn't get famous with this kind of food. Fogo De Chao more than made up for it the next day. Anyways, next time I'm in the area, where should I go for really good bbq?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
gates

Old 04-09-2011, 10:07 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
Bryants for Sausage hands down, it looks like gyro meat, it's so awesome but never well known
Oklahoma Joes for Pulled Pork and Fries

Old 04-09-2011, 10:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Jack Stack, while having some of the better sides accompaniments in the city, is not the quintessential KC BBQ experience. It's where you take visitors who are just not the type who would go for a down and dirty classic BBQ joint, which is going to be considerably less white tablecloth.

I personally prefer Oklahoma Joe's for the quality of meat, but my favorite sauce in the city is Arthur Bryant's, hands down. Gates' appeal is utterly lost on me, at least in terms of getting food to dine in at any of their restaurants...their catered meat trays fare much better.

But while Bryant's, Jack Stack, OK Joe's, Gates, and to an extent Danny Edwards, LC's, Rosedale, etc. are the ones you'll hear about/read about most, there are lots and lots of other places throughout the metro that are great, as well.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I was visiting KC this weekend and have always heard a lot about Jack stack bbq and Oklahoma Joes. I chose jack stack since my hotel was on the plaza and I was within walking distance. I was really disappointed. I ordered a sampler platter and it didn't even come with a side of BBQ sauce. There was no bbq sauce on any of the tables. IMO, BBQ is as much about the sauce as the meat. When I asked for sauce I was given a small dish with only a few tablespoons of sauce. The sauce was delicious. I love the baked beans. The ribs were great. I didn't care for the sausage or brisket. Overall it wasn't what I expected. I know KC bbq didn't get famous with this kind of food. Fogo De Chao more than made up for it the next day. Anyways, next time I'm in the area, where should I go for really good bbq?

I personally am not a big BBQ fan even though I am a KC native but that is not the place to go. I wouldnt even rate them in the Top 10.

Smokehouse, Oklahoma Joe, Gates, Arthur Bryant's and best of all is some of the hole in the wall places throughout the city.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
I'm not a Jack Stack fan either but the one of the Plaza is the worst one. The downtown one is doable.

I like OK Joes pulled pork and sometime the ribs - the sauces are outrageously salty though. LC's is good. Gates is alright. People who like fatty meat get into Bryants. Really like Brodies pulled pork up in Smithville.

Frankly, a lot of BBQ places in KC (and pretty much everywhere) take short cuts. BBQ by definition is low slow cooking for 4-6 hours. Many places will do much less than that.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:42 PM

And BTW, BBQ is definitely not about the sauce. A lot of people think seem to think sauce it what defines it. If meat isn't low slow cooked for 4-6 hours or more, it's just grilling. BBQ was invented by low slow cooking poor cuts of meat to make it more tender.

And BBQ isn't famous in KC because of the BBQ restaurants, it's because there are a whole lot of people here who are masters of it. There are actually more Asian restaurants in KC than BBQ. Most of the BBQ restaurants here take short cuts.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I've never eaten at a BBQ joint that was run by white people that was any good.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I've never eaten at a BBQ joint that was run by white people that was any good.
W/out getting into race, I kinda know where you are going. BBQ was started by those who couldn't afford good cuts of meat. Trying to neatly package it up and serve in a nice white table cloth restaurant (Jack Stack/KC Masterpiece) is a manufactured misrepresentation of true BBQ culture. It's taking short cuts that really misrepresents BBQ and many if not most restaurants do it, but not all. Restaurants are in the biz to make money, not always to properly make BBQ. Since BBQ by definition takes a lot more time than say, Chinese or Italian, there will be a higher % that don't do it very well.

At its best, the meat should fall off the bone. Not many places succeed at that. When done this well and with the right balance of rubs, a sauce shouldn't be needed, but doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by xenokc; 04-10-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 08:08 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
Gates is what was suggested but I ignored the suggestion. Maybe next time. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City