Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I didn't say north Overland Park isn't as safe. It's safe. It's just not as new and thus, to me, not as nice. Depends what you like. Newer, to me, is nicer.
That is your opinion. I always associate "new" in terms of house developments as generally inferior. I like neighborhoods with more of a Midwest flavor instead of a Sunbelt flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is your opinion. I always associate "new" in terms of house developments as generally inferior. I like neighborhoods with more of a Midwest flavor instead of a Sunbelt flavor.
I live in one of those older houses, and I do like it. It probably is built better than a house I could buy in southern OP. But it is 55 years old and was built for people who lived differently than people live today. One car garage, one small bathroom, smallish bedrooms. If I bought another house in the Kansas City area, it would definitely be in southern Overland Park, where the houses are bigger, newer, more modern, bigger windows, open living spaces, first floor laundry room (instead of basement like I have now). Also, I may be mistaken but I think some if not all of southern Overland Park has underground instead of overhead power lines, and I like that too.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I live in one of those older houses, and I do like it. It probably is built better than a house I could buy in southern OP. But it is 55 years old and was built for people who lived differently than people live today. One car garage, one small bathroom, smallish bedrooms. If I bought another house in the Kansas City area, it would definitely be in southern Overland Park, where the houses are bigger, newer, more modern, bigger windows, open living spaces, first floor laundry room (instead of basement like I have now). Also, I may be mistaken but I think some if not all of southern Overland Park has underground instead of overhead power lines, and I like that too.
Well, the neighborhood I grew up in (Overland Park) had underground power lines and was built during the 1960s. It was also NORTH of 435 The entire neighborhood was built during multiple stages from about 1966 to 1973. Many architectural styles are present, many trees were conserved, and good shade plantings were selected (unlike many new developments today). So, I wouldn't make a broad brush statement about everything in north Overland Park north of 435. What, is everything north of 119 st now in north Overland Park too

Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
What, is everything north of 119 st now in north Overland Park too
Ha! It certainly seems that way a lot of times!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
Any of the three would get the suburban job done. I agree Olathe is by far the least attractive, but it does have some okay areas. Lee's Summit is more my style of those three. Overland Park is tolerable, but just too dull and crowded in an annoying way. For the Kansas side, I'd pick pretty much any town in the northeast corner of Johnson County and maybe Lenexa if you want to be further out. On the Missouri side, I wouldn't overlook Liberty or Parkville... or most any other area of the Northland.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Overland Park is tolerable, but just too dull and crowded in an annoying way.

Quote:
I wouldn't make a broad brush statement about everything ......

Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
So perhaps it's not crowded, certainly not by urban standards, but poor city planning means that an I-Metcalf is necessary. After driving nearly every square inch of the town, I still say it's dull place where split-levels go to die. The only thing remotely interesting is it's 1 little block of 'downtown', but it's pretty uneventful even by suburban standards. Even the residential stuff near it doesn't feel like they're a part of any walkable downtown core. Of course not every town has the history of Independence or Liberty to work with, but Overland Park could take a cue from Lee's Summit in that department.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 PM

91 posts, read 213,302 times
Lee's Summit, because I don't want to live in Kansas.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:51 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
So perhaps it's not crowded, certainly not by urban standards, but poor city planning means that an I-Metcalf is necessary. After driving nearly every square inch of the town, I still say it's dull place where split-levels go to die. The only thing remotely interesting is it's 1 little block of 'downtown', but it's pretty uneventful even by suburban standards. Even the residential stuff near it doesn't feel like they're a part of any walkable downtown core. Of course not every town has the history of Independence or Liberty to work with, but Overland Park could take a cue from Lee's Summit in that department.
And you are entitled to your very biased opinion. I was just pointing out the ongoing double standard here.

Rather than just saying what you prefer, you disparage a very broad and yes, diverse area based on personal biases. That seems to be okay and even a favorite pasttime when it's directed at anything JoCo. Some posters can barely post at all without taking a stab at JoCo or suburban life in general.

If I went into the neighboring thread where Raytown has been recommended and said that I would avoid it because it's too redneck, there would be hell to pay!! (And FTR I've never said that) If someone asked about specific urban neighoborhoods and I told them to consider the great suburban options in JoCo, I would be raked over the coals!!

It's amusing in a sad little way.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
If someone asked about specific urban neighoborhoods and I told them to consider the great suburban options in JoCo, I would be raked over the coals!!
Well you shouldn't be.

Based on the three locations provided by the OP and their spread across the metro, I think it's a fair guess that they have employment in the city, so I don't think it's out of line to suggest a fairly suburban urban area that would also be worth looking into.

On the same token, if someone came to the forum and asked about the Plaza, Volker and Union Hill and said they'd be working in Overland Park, I would have no problem if you suggested they look at the area surrounding downtown Overland Park, as it is fairly walkable and would put them closer to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City