Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,399 times

Advertisements

I like the comment in the link. The largest county in KS is merely a subur of kcmo. So does this make Kansas the new Jersey of the Midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Kansas apparently needs to ramp up the poaching. Even with all these high profile, large company moves from KCMO to Kansas, they are dead last in job creation. It's no wonder they are so desperate and unwilling to stop the poaching.

Analysis: Kansas is only state to lose private-sector jobs during past year | Kansas City Business Journal

Love the new mayor's take on the issue. Sounds like he's ready to play hardball.

Quote:
And while he doesn't savor going toe to toe with Kansas over business poaching, James said it might take a successful raid or two from Missouri to force an end to the competition.

"I'm not interested in engaging in border wars, but it may take some of that to get to a truce point," he said.

"I hope it doesn't come to that, because the dollars are misspent. The best thing to do is get to businesses before they're enticed to get away."

Old 05-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Missouri strikes back.

A major win: Applebee's to move headquarters and 390 jobs to Kansas City | Dollars & Sense

Love the new mayor of KCMO.

Quote:
While James decried what he called the waste of taxpayer money on both sides of the border diverted to the incentive battle, he observed Kansas economic development officials might have to lose a couple of rounds before declaring a cease fire.

“The days of sitting back and watching it happen are over,” the mayor said at the EDC event. “Mutually assured destruction only works if both sides are armed.”

Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Holla!!

I still think this is a massive waste of money, but MO can't sit back forever and watch this happen to us.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Holla!!

I still think this is a massive waste of money, but MO can't sit back forever and watch this happen to us.
Exactly. this just might make KS think twice next time. KC needs to get on the same page and compete with Dallas and Denver, not itself.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,345 times
we have a real mayor now.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:28 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Kansas apparently needs to ramp up the poaching. Even with all these high profile, large company moves from KCMO to Kansas, they are dead last in job creation. It's no wonder they are so desperate and unwilling to stop the poaching.

Analysis: Kansas is only state to lose private-sector jobs during past year | Kansas City Business Journal

Love the new mayor's take on the issue. Sounds like he's ready to play hardball.
Sorry, but I have to chime in here as I find this hard to believe and question the validity of the source data. It made no sense to me on its face, so I dug a little deeper.

Kansas is dead last and lost 200 jobs, while it's unemployment rate fell from 7.1% to 6.7%? While 14 states had smaller decreases in unemployment and 3 states (Montana, Idaho, and Louisiana) showed unemployment rate increases? Something's wrong here.

Not to mention the fact that the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows Apr 2010 Kansas employment at 1,397,764 and Apr 2011 at 1,404,153.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Old 05-27-2011, 04:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Rock on, Sly James.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 PM

414 posts, read 884,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Sorry, but I have to chime in here as I find this hard to believe and question the validity of the source data. It made no sense to me on its face, so I dug a little deeper.

Kansas is dead last and lost 200 jobs, while it's unemployment rate fell from 7.1% to 6.7%? While 14 states had smaller decreases in unemployment and 3 states (Montana, Idaho, and Louisiana) showed unemployment rate increases? Something's wrong here.

Not to mention the fact that the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows Apr 2010 Kansas employment at 1,397,764 and Apr 2011 at 1,404,153.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
I was wondering about this as well. I think I might attribute it to Kansas, obviously, having a steadier employment rate. Therefore, a loss of jobs, in the shorter term, is not indicative of an overall trend. This, to me, is a play on statistics trickery that we see splattered all over the internet and media.

However, I think this is also indicative of the fact that KS hasn't had stellar growth recently and it might seem this could be a continuing trend. I hope it isn't. I hope both sides of the metro could strive to elevate the region and attract business from around the globe. I really hope that Google's influence here at least gets some recognition for Kansas City.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
It's probably because of people giving up and leaving the job search -- job gains and losses rarely follow a given area's unemployment rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City