Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,852 times

Advertisements

Looking at several places to rent a home. One is in Independence but i have heard many bad things....

The address of a place is 18005 E. Cheyenne Dr ·can anyone tell me about this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchaples View Post
Looking at several places to rent a home. One is in Independence but i have heard many bad things....

The address of a place is 18005 E. Cheyenne Dr ·can anyone tell me about this area.
What have you heard that is bad and from who? People love to talk down indy and it’s unfortunate. Most of those that talk it down don’t really have any idea what they are talking about.

Independence is a large suburb that has some really nice areas and some really run down areas. The Southeast side of town is moderately affluent and has many new shopping areas. The downtown area is very historic and busy with lots of shops and restaurants. The city if full of history and museums as well. The north and northwest sides of town has more issues with blight and crime, but even though areas are not exactly ghetto like what you might find in parts of KCK or KCMO, just poverty.

That area is ok. It's not Overland Park or Lee's Summit, but it's not bad either. Everybody can't afford most affluent areas of the metro and that part of Independence is just a modest suburban area. My best friend lives blocks from that address you listed and he has not had any problems in the ten years since he bought a home there. He seems to really like it.

There is not a lot of shopping directly around there, but you have the mall area like ten minutes away, which is one of the largest and most popular suburban shopping area in the metro. You would be fine there if that is your price point.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Just another viewpoint - I have relatives who live in that area and they say it's a neighborhood on the way down. Certainly there are much worse neighborhoods in KCMO and Independence, but it's on the decline. Also my stepdaughter has kids in the Independence school district and she is less than totally satisfied. So I'd give it a lukewarm recommendation. If you were considering buying in that area I'd definitely recommend against it, but since you are just renting you should be okay.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Well, I have not heard that. Like I said, it's not Lee's Summit or Overland Park or Platte County, but it's a safe, modest area.

I hope you are wrong that the area is on its way down. I mean, what is with KC having so much of the metro on its way down? If outer belt sprawl like that (where new homes are still going up) is on the verge of blight, then KC's sprawl and blight problems are as bad as I often claim them to be.

By the way, that area is in the Fort Osage School District, not the Independence District. I know that because my friend that lives there teaches in that district and his kids go there.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
kcmo - you are right that area is Fort Osage.....I should know that, my cousins graduated from HS there. Ooops.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:29 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
I lived in Independence for 6 years. Not a bad town. Some areas are nicer than others. Northeast, aka Susquehanna, isn't my favorite part of town. The further east you go, the better it gets. The address you gave isn't something I'd consider. For the most part, Independence is generally nicer once you go anywhere south of 23rd street. Southeast is considered the nicest part. I lived in south-central, which is pretty nice as well and plenty affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City