U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,396,898 times

Advertisements

There were Macy's in KC that long ago? Interesting. I remember a Jones Store downtown (it was actually still there into the '90s, IIRC) - it would be exceedingly ironic if that JS had been a Macy's at some point, given what happened to the rest of the JSs (not that one, of course, since it was already gone by the 2006 Federated acquisition).

As yet another piece of irony, though, kcmo's right - downtown KC is actually a lot more vibrant now than it was at the tail end of the downtown JS's lifespan. All of this reminds me of how much I miss KC/MO. At least I get to visit there in virtual sense by posting occasionally in this subforum.. hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,903,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
It is actually Long ago on independence square. Right here.
Long ago on independence square

I did find it. Thanks. Her memories go back even further than mind. The city was beginning to change a lot just after I moved there. But, it still has that old neighborly, friendly spirit that you seldom find in a big city.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
There were Macy's in KC that long ago? Interesting. I remember a Jones Store downtown (it was actually still there into the '90s, IIRC) - it would be exceedingly ironic if that JS had been a Macy's at some point, given what happened to the rest of the JSs (not that one, of course, since it was already gone by the 2006 Federated acquisition).

As yet another piece of irony, though, kcmo's right - downtown KC is actually a lot more vibrant now than it was at the tail end of the downtown JS's lifespan. All of this reminds me of how much I miss KC/MO. At least I get to visit there in virtual sense by posting occasionally in this subforum.. hehe.

Macy's was across the street from Jones store and a bit north. It had replaced another store which I've forgotten. We were often told that that Macy's was an outlet store and it may have been. It didn't seem like one until I moved here and saw other Macy's. Who knows. Hard to say.

Jones Store sold good clothing at affordable prices. I still have things that I bought there. I only gave away an excellent coat last year which I got there because it had become too tight. I wanted so much to keep it but it just didn't fit. And, remember their hair salon? They insisted that their stylist be thoroughly trained and have refresher courses. You could really tell the difference between their work and that where stylists just rent their own chairs and may or may not be well-trained.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,401,871 times
Macy's was in Kansas City long before the 1990s department store consolidation. In the 1960s and 1970s, Macy's in Mission (the demolished-redeveloped-then-demolished small mall there) and The Jones Store Company in the Village were the less hectic alternatives to the Plaza. Macy's downtown, later Dillard's, remained in operation (along with Jones downtown) later than most cities' downtown department stores.

Macy's Missouri-Kansas was the predecessor to the original Macy's Midwest. Some suburban Kansas City properties were new and some were repurposed, including from the Emery, Bird, Thayer stores IIRC.

KC also had a 1970s-1980s Saks Fifth Avenue (opposite Seville Square), Stix, Baer and Fuller (a St. Louis department store located at Ward Parkway Center), and several native stores including Halls, Woolf Brothers, and Harzfeld's. Only Halls remains, serving as a loss leader for Crown Center (I believe Halls Plaza is profitable).

Of course, nearly all of the once-independent "luxury" department stores in the US are now Macy's, an astonishing outcome.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Macy's was in Kansas City long before the 1990s department store consolidation. In the 1960s and 1970s, Macy's in Mission (the demolished-redeveloped-then-demolished small mall there) and The Jones Store Company in the Village were the less hectic alternatives to the Plaza. Macy's downtown, later Dillard's, remained in operation (along with Jones downtown) later than most cities' downtown department stores.

Macy's Missouri-Kansas was the predecessor to the original Macy's Midwest. Some suburban Kansas City properties were new and some were repurposed, including from the Emery, Bird, Thayer stores IIRC.

KC also had a 1970s-1980s Saks Fifth Avenue (opposite Seville Square), Stix, Baer and Fuller (a St. Louis department store located at Ward Parkway Center), and several native stores including Halls, Woolf Brothers, and Harzfeld's. Only Halls remains, serving as a loss leader for Crown Center (I believe Halls Plaza is profitable).

Of course, nearly all of the once-independent "luxury" department stores in the US are now Macy's, an astonishing outcome.
Did Dillards follow Macy's downtown. I mean, did it replace the downtown Macy's before that building came down? I had those two reversed? All right. I do remember Stix, Baer and Fuller and the others, almost all gone now. There was a SBF at another mall, I think, that was replaced by a Dillard's. Maybe that was Ward Parkway. It has been quite a while since I was there. So, I get them confused.

Harzfeld's. Isn't that one of those that was on Petticcoat Lane? I think there was another as well as a jewelry store at the corner.

The Plaza seems to have become one humongous apartment complex now. It seems to go on "forever". I only saw it from a car but it did seem huge.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,039,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Macy's was across the street from Jones store and a bit north. It had replaced another store which I've forgotten. We were often told that that Macy's was an outlet store and it may have been. It didn't seem like one until I moved here and saw other Macy's. Who knows. Hard to say.

Jones Store sold good clothing at affordable prices. I still have things that I bought there. I only gave away an excellent coat last year which I got there because it had become too tight. I wanted so much to keep it but it just didn't fit. And, remember their hair salon? They insisted that their stylist be thoroughly trained and have refresher courses. You could really tell the difference between their work and that where stylists just rent their own chairs and may or may not be well-trained.
Did Macy's replace Hartzfelds downtown? Hartzfelds is the KC store I really miss, well, that and Swanson's.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,396,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did Macy's replace Hartzfelds downtown? Hartzfelds is the KC store I really miss, well, that and Swanson's.
I loved Swanson's! And, while it obviously wasn't a KC original, I also didn't mind the Mark Shale - looks like it's gone, too (they're back to their four Chicago locations - which makes sense given that it's a Chicago store). I remember the Saks on the Plaza -and also the small Dillards that became the B&N, I believe. Heh.. now with B&Ns/brick-and-mortar bookstores in general closing at a (relatively) rapid clip, I wonder how long that one has. Hmm... what else do I miss on the Plaza (honestly, everything, since I don't live near KC anymore ).. hypothetically (if I still lived in KC) speaking, though: the Chinese place that was sort of near the Better Cheddar (that seems to still be there.. yay). The drugstore that became more and more retro (and cool!) over the years. My mother also didn't like that a lot of the independent places closed and were replaced with chains through the late '90s/'00s. I've heard that the two Halls stores aren't even profitable (especially the CC one? ah, westender says the Plaza one is, which would be awesome, if true), but the Hall family continues to operate them as a labor of love, anyway. That's the sort of behavior that I seriously, seriously admire, if you can afford to do it.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, I think Harzfeld's was on Petticoat Lane. Almost sure of that. Anybody know?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,214,636 times
See this thread for early pics of KC...

When Downtown KC was a powerhouse - A must see for all

Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,401,871 times
Harzfeld's was indeed on Petticoat Lane and also on the Plaza, where Halls Plaza is now. The Macy's downtown was housed in a separate building. I'm not sure what it replaced, I don't think it was EBT, but that was back in the 1950s. Dillard's was the 1980s replacement nameplate for the Macy's stores in greater Kansas City. Jones survived a few years longer into the 1990s.

The Macy's on the Plaza was in the current Barnes & Noble building, and I think earlier that was the old Sears -- or was Sears knocked down when Seville Square went up? There was also an enormous Sears warehouse that may have had retail long ago on the old East Side -- 18th and Indiana or so.

The Chinese restaurant "House of Toy" was on 48th Street on its lone block within the Plaza retail area. There were a lot of simple, local restaurants then. My favorite was the Pam-Pam in the Alameda Plaza across Brush Creek -- it seemed fancy but was a glorified coffee shop.

Ward Parkway Center had Montgomery Wards as the north anchor, and Stix as the south anchor. The secondary stores, including IIRC a Swanson's and a Woolf Brothers, got fancier the further south you walked in the then-enclosed mall. The other Stix, Baer & Fuller was an anchor merchant at the brand new Oak Park Mall in 1975. And that seemed like a ridiculously remote location at that time.

Kansas City did have an abundance of quality retail then, and compared to its peer cities, it still does now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or