U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 AM
 
2,668 posts, read 2,904,914 times
Reputation: 1207

Advertisements

I am having old memories. Many years ago, on the west side of Main Street, right in the heart of downtown K.C., there was a Macy's store. That closed, of course and was torn down. The last time I saw that spot, it was a huge, rubble-filled hole in the ground.

Can someone please tell me what is in that spot now so I can stop envisioning that big, ugly hole?

Also, across Main Street from that spot, the east west street had a charming name that I cannot remember now at all. I've tried the online maps to no avail. What was that block called? If I am not mistaken, it was part of Tenth Street but it had a different name for that one block that met Main Street.

So many grand old stores in that area and I suppose they are all gone now. I know Jones Store is gone. That was the best. We were so sorry to lose it.

Well, mustn't reminisce too much. Was just wondering what they built where Macy's once stood. Thank you for answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,824 posts, read 19,313,524 times
Reputation: 5662
Well it's partially developed. It's now a parking garage and grocery store. but the corner of 13th and Walnut is an empty lot that was to be the site of a large condo/hotel tower that fell through. Most of the block is developed though.

Just checked, guess that corner is a surface parking lot now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 2,069,017 times
Reputation: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Also, across Main Street from that spot, the east west street had a charming name that I cannot remember now at all. I've tried the online maps to no avail. What was that block called? If I am not mistaken, it was part of Tenth Street but it had a different name for that one block that met Main Street.
.
I remember reading something about this but totally forgot the name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,824 posts, read 19,313,524 times
Reputation: 5662
petticoat lane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM
 
2,668 posts, read 2,904,914 times
Reputation: 1207
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
petticoat lane?
Petticoat Lane! Yes! Thank you for that.

New parking garages? Lots of room to park but nowhere to go after you've parked?

Hard to imagine a grocery store there, although they could probably use one. When I lived on Quality Hill, we had Joe's grocery. Such a nice family store. But, Joe retired and who knows what happened to the store. That was quite a distance from Main Street, of course but I walked the distance often.

About the time I left the AT&T building was having problems getting tenants as I remember. Let's hope things are looking up now.

Memories! Maybe I should visit?

Thank you all. Petticoat Lane. There was good reason for that name. Good clothing stores all around. Probably all gone now.

Hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,824 posts, read 19,313,524 times
Reputation: 5662
Yea, KC's Petticoat Lane was a major fashion center between the coasts back in the day, just as KC's garment district was one of the largest clothing manufacturing districts in the country at the time.

But after a long period of abandonment and blight, Downtown KC has really blossomed and has come back. You should go there, it would be fun to see how it has flipped once again. (just stay west of Grand and south of 10th in the loop. The north loop and east loop have lost more structures than they have gained) although the civic park is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
 
2,668 posts, read 2,904,914 times
Reputation: 1207
West of Grand. Remember that very steep hill that came down from there. Was it tenth or eleventh street. Somewhere along there. Don't try it on an icy day.

There used to be a dime store (remember those?) on Main that served the best chocolate cake with hot fudge atop it. Everyone felt bad when that store closed. But, of all those that we lost, I still mourned Jones Store the most.

Time moves on and cities change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
 
216 posts, read 539,289 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
West of Grand. Remember that very steep hill that came down from there. Was it tenth or eleventh street. Somewhere along there. Don't try it on an icy day.

There used to be a dime store (remember those?) on Main that served the best chocolate cake with hot fudge atop it. Everyone felt bad when that store closed. But, of all those that we lost, I still mourned Jones Store the most.

Time moves on and cities change.

Wow Hazel, you should look at the "Long ago in Independence" thread and chat with Sally! Your memories sound similar to hers, although maybe more recent! She has posted some really neat things about her memories of Independence years ago, and she would love someone to share with! I love to hear these things too, but have little to add since I did not grow up in the area.

But I know what you mean, I have similar memories of my hometown. I think it is one of the reasons I love to live in a small neighborhood with local amenities...it gives me that feeling of community that I remember from my younger years. (Wow, now I feel old. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 01:06 PM
 
2,668 posts, read 2,904,914 times
Reputation: 1207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
Wow Hazel, you should look at the "Long ago in Independence" thread and chat with Sally! Your memories sound similar to hers, although maybe more recent! She has posted some really neat things about her memories of Independence years ago, and she would love someone to share with! I love to hear these things too, but have little to add since I did not grow up in the area.

But I know what you mean, I have similar memories of my hometown. I think it is one of the reasons I love to live in a small neighborhood with local amenities...it gives me that feeling of community that I remember from my younger years. (Wow, now I feel old. )
I'll see if I can find it. "Long ago in Independence" has a special meaning for me. Over the many, many years, their little historical group was fighting tooth and nail to keep all the old houses and buildings regardless of the shape they were in. Any time anyone suggested tearing one down all you-know-what broke loose. One Sunday a friend and I drove by a house that sat across the intersection from Harry Truman's old home. I looked at it and said, 'that place is going to fall down'. Premonition? A few weeks later, it did. One whole side and part of another simply collapsed. But, know what? They did get money to save it and rebuilt. So, now it is a new old house. :-)

That said, in the past twenty years, plus/minus, Independence has been building new. It is a growing city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 PM
 
216 posts, read 539,289 times
Reputation: 88
It is actually Long ago on independence square. Right here.
Long ago on independence square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top