Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 02:25 PM

21 posts, read 74,027 times

Advertisements

I would like some information on what is the best place to raise 3 boys- 14, 12, and11 in kansas. We are thinking about relocating from NY to Kansas next year. I would like the the pros and cons of moving here. thanks]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 PM

110 posts, read 608,107 times
It would help if you would give a bit more information. Is there a certain area of the state you are considering? What kind of environment do you want - rural, small town, city? Will you be looking for employment? If so, in what field? What quality of life issues are important to you? What kind of housing? - a general idea of what you're thinking of spending on a house...

Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM

21 posts, read 74,027 times
Dear Shonner,
We are looking in the shawnee area!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 PM

110 posts, read 608,107 times
Hey mom3 - I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to be of much help with Shawnee. My husband has a friend who lives there and he loves it (and this guy is rather hard to please). He's impressed with the schools and was able to find a very nice house for under $300k. I understand it's fairly safe, too.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:00 PM

55 posts, read 298,294 times
Shawnee is in the north central portion of Johnson County. Geogrpahically it is a large community. The eastern portion of it lies within the Shawnee Mission School District, and I think SM Northwest High is in Shawnee. The western portion of the City lies in the DeSoto District, and is served by Mill Valley High School (a DeSoto School). Parts of Shawnee (especially away from the highways K-7, I-35, or I-435) can be quite isolated from employment or shopping. But Shawnee has a nice little downtown and a new aquatic center downtown. There are big shopping centers at Shawnee Mission Parkway & I-435 and at SM Parkway & K-7. If you buy out west, near K-7 or I-435, you will be very close to Village West and The Legends, which is a huge new shopping area with virtually every restaurant and shop that exits. It will also soon be home to the world's largest waterpark.

Both school districts serving Shawnee are very good. And Shawnee Mission Park is huge and has many outdoor activities. Generally Johnson County is regarded as one of the best places in the KC metro to raise a family because of the superior schools and relative safety.

The eastern parts of Shawnee are about 15 minutes from downtown Kansas City, MO.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 PM

77,756 posts, read 59,900,878 times
Default Howdy

We moved here about 7 years ago with 1 & 3 year old boys....from Chicago.

I love it here, but I like *smaller* towns.

Here is the short story:

1. You cannot go wrong with any public schools in Johnson County. I live in Lenexa, they are all very good.
2. Housing is very inexpensive relative to much of the US.
3. Plenty of stuff to do in terms of restaurants, museums etc. but definitlely not a "big city".
4. Traffic\commute is a breeze, even "rush hour" is not bad.
5. It's really not that "conservative" if you are worried about that. At least not around the metro-area.
6. LOTS of nature stuff either right in your back yard or a 15-30min. drive can get you out in the *countryside*

I love it, ask more specific questions if you have them...but reply to this so I get a notice or I might not check back.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,197 times
Default Relocating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3 View Post
I would like some information on what is the best place to raise 3 boys- 14, 12, and11 in kansas. We are thinking about relocating from NY to Kansas next year. I would like the the pros and cons of moving here. thanks]
DOES IT HAVE TO BE KANSAS? COST OF LIVING IS HIGH, WEATHER SUCKS; BAD SNOW STORMS, TORNADOES, CLIMATE IS HORRIBLE....HIGH HUMIDITY. PEOPLE ARE STRANGE, VERY EXPENSIVE TO REGISTER AND RE-REGISTER VEHICLES! A VERY LIBERAL STATE THAT IS FLAT BROKE. PROPERTY VALUES HORRIBLE! NOW WHY AGAIN ARE YOU CONSIDERING THIS STATE OF ANY OTHER STATE IN THE UNION? LIVED THERE 11 YEARS...10.6 YEARS TOO LONG! HORRIBLE!!!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 PM

69 posts, read 172,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustache1 View Post
DOES IT HAVE TO BE KANSAS? COST OF LIVING IS HIGH, WEATHER SUCKS; BAD SNOW STORMS, TORNADOES, CLIMATE IS HORRIBLE....HIGH HUMIDITY. PEOPLE ARE STRANGE, VERY EXPENSIVE TO REGISTER AND RE-REGISTER VEHICLES! A VERY LIBERAL STATE THAT IS FLAT BROKE. PROPERTY VALUES HORRIBLE! NOW WHY AGAIN ARE YOU CONSIDERING THIS STATE OF ANY OTHER STATE IN THE UNION? LIVED THERE 11 YEARS...10.6 YEARS TOO LONG! HORRIBLE!!!!!
I don't disagree with most of your points, but Kansas is far from a liberal state. And you lived in Garnett I think? That is a world of difference from Shawnee.

Back to the OP's question: Compared to NY, it will be way cheaper, but there are reasons the cost of living is low. As someone has already said on this forum, the taxes are high for what you get. I live in Oklahoma now and it is very similar to Kansas in climate, culture and cost of living, but taxes are quite a bit lower. You might consider the Tulsa area in Oklahoma...like Broken Arrow. Or maybe Norman near Oklahoma City.

But Johnson County is one of the nicest areas of Kansas and the schools are really good if that is a priority.

Last edited by greenways; 06-16-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City