Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Google is planning to do TV over the high speed connection. The potential to do video on demand for virtually any show (and entire seasons) is a real possibility if they can get the major networks signed up.

Google giving stronger signal of TV service for Kansas City - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/22/3444862/google-giving-stronger-signal.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM

Google has strung over 100 miles of fiber so far...

Google Fiber Blog

I like the sound of this...

Quote:
Q: Where exactly have the crews been working?
A: We’re not focused in any one location. We’re working throughout Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO!
However service may not start until most of the two cities are covered...

Quote:
Q: What’s the next step in construction?
A: Well, we still have a while before infrastructure is complete. Kansas City is big, and we have to hang fiber throughout almost all of it. Once we’re done with that, we can move to the next step where we’ll be connecting fiber to homes.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 AM

712 posts, read 2,145,513 times
Anybody know what the google fiber looks like..??? I saw a looped up cable on a utility pole at quivira rd and w 111th st

Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Could have been anything. There is no Google rollout in JoCo area, just KCMO and KCK for now.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 AM

According to this, at least some people will be able to order service by end of June...

Google soliciting Kansas City pictures for commercial to sell Internet hook-ups to Kansas City - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/16/3557846/google-soliciting-kansas-city.html - broken link)

Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM

267 posts, read 618,364 times
I'm curious now, does this mean there will be a huge growth in IT in the area?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Is hard to say, depends on how Google prices the service for businesses. Web hosting companies and data centers might be interested if Google offers cheap uplink speeds to businesses. A software company can develop apps from anywhere and test on in-house 1Gbit networks - so might not bring that in too much. What it might attract are hard core techies who want cheap access for themselves or small home business, so I imagine it could help attract a larger techie population, which in turn may attract tech businesses since more techies move here. KC is already an above average techie town, though not top 10. I don't see this catapulting KC into a top 10 techie town but who knows, I suppose it's possible.

We haven't seen any prices yet other than Google saying 1Gbit will be priced comparably to broadband internet service today, which implies about $50-$60/month. Hopefully they'll also offer a 100Mbit option for less. I'm thinking it could be $80 for 1Gbit and about $50 for 100Mbit. But if they charge more for businesses, it may not attract tech business - too early to tell. There are already huge pipes into KC and gigabit access to businesses today, but not cheap.

Web hosting companies and data centers want massive backhaul/longhaul pipes into the metro area, which KC already has. KC (and Dallas/Chicago) already have the most number of longhaul Internet backbone providers that are about equidistant to either coast - and KC already benefits from it. Verizon recently upgraded KC longhaul pipes to 100Gbit (to other cities), one of few US metros to get it. If Google provides 1Gbit local access to businesses much cheaper than other business providers do in other cities, it could really boost KC in a big way.

One downside is that if this promotes even more telecommuting, it could not only hurt the KC office market, office construction in the future may come to a complete halt.

Edit: This site is tracking the impact of Google fiber in KC...
http://www.fiberkc.biz/

Last edited by xenokc; 04-19-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 AM

So it looks like Google may be on target to start service in June. I'm seeing fiber trucks all over the city core. They have contracted out to Atlantic Engineering to lay fiber. If you see trucks with Atlantic label, you'll likely get Google fiber in your hood.

I've seen them all over midtown. A co-worker has see them in South KC. There are many reports in KC North as well. Looks like most of the city will indeed get it.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Google will be announcing something July 26th. Hopefully it's actual service and not another announcement about a future announcement. I'd be interested just to hear cost of the service even if not ready to connect customers yet.

Google plans big announcement in Kansas City - Kansas City Business Journal

Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM

The announcement is tomorrow (Thu 7.26) at 11AM CST...

https://fiber.google.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City