U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,533,337 times
Well actually it's based on 2009/2010 data, before Google announcement. The Google thing will hopefully help the momentum continue.

WSJ gave the wrong impression though. It's not 2900 tech companies, it's 2900 companies in KC metro that have an IT shop or are a tech company. Still a good presence and according to original source, the number of tech entities are growing at a faster rate than tech cities. Is also misleading since tech employment actually shrunk a bit since 2009, however not as much as other tech cities. Seems to imply people laid off from large shops such as Sprint are starting new companies so shows growth in shops, but the employment growth rate from new shops is not quite keeping up with the layoffs of existing ones. Not sure, just speculating.

Even with slight loss, KC ranked 18th in per cap tech employment, which is not bad for about 30th ranked metro. Also ranked in 8th in raw telcom employment (not per cap).
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 PM

Here's the original source..

TechAmerica Foundation : Cybercities 2010 Press

One stat that stands out, looks like KC has highest % concentration of tech workers (per cap % of total employment) in the Midwest and most major cities in the US. Heavy duty tech cities like Austin, Seattle, San Jose, Boston, etc would of course be higher but KC has higher % (not raw number) of tech employees than Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, MSP and other large corp cities that I would think have a lot more IT shops. Denver was only one notch above KC.

I always thought Raleigh Durham was more of a Tech City than KC yet KC has nearly twice as many tech employees. RD probably has more true tech companies though (as opposed to non-tech biz with an IT shop, which KC probably has more of).

Last edited by xenokc; 08-24-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Cerner, based in KC, which claims to be the largest healthcare software developer in the world, plans to add 4000 employees by 2016 and already has 6000 in KC area. They will likely pass up Sprint as the largest tech company in KC (employee count, maybe not revenue) between now and then. 4K growth seems pretty high to project that far out but they have been on a roll and expanding significantly on a global scale with not much competition on their scale.

Cerner unveils plans for two office towers in KCK - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/24/3097066/cerner-unveils-plans-for-two-office.html - broken link)

Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,033,047 times
Isn't Cerner suppose to be getting into Medical Coding/Billing? I so wish these towers were downtown, the young workers would appreciate being downtown because a good amount of them would live down there and just walk to work.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Yeah, is a bummer this in in KCK and not downtown but it's clear that Cerner wants to be on both sides of the stateline. They have no intention of reducing the presence on the MO side. The Cerner head is part owner of the MLS team so no surprise there is a connection to the MLS stadium. Kudos to KCK. They are on a roll.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 PM

76 posts, read 91,770 times
Cool design and four thousand new jobs. Cerner has been a locomotive for local job growth. Good for it and good for the KC region.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:00 AM

89 posts, read 129,343 times
This is exciting to hear. I'm about to move to KC, to attend grad school in another field. However, I previously worked in IT for a decade. My hope is to pick up some freelance or temp IT work in the summers in KC.

What tzeb has said is spot on. At my former employer, we outsourced so many programmer jobs, it was amazing. First, we used foreign contractors to work in our US locations. Then, we started offshoring support to Bangalore. Finally, they cut most of the US staff developing software. The cost savings was interesting to look at. The hourly rate paid to contractors in India was almost comparable to what we paid US employees, when you factored in training. However, foreign employees don't need health insurance, pension, or other benefits, so long term their cost is quite lower. Even with the very high turnover of contract staff (it has leveled out much more than it was 5 years ago), they are saving money. Plus, the companies can get rid of brick and mortar offices in the US, as the skeleton staff can be told they have to work from their homes. My department had hundreds of staff... it's now down to less than a dozen, all telecommuters.

I'm hopeful that pendulum will be swinging back from the extremes we have seen. It sounds like KC has a lot of great infrastructure, skilled workers, and reasonably priced real estate, so perhaps it is a city where we'll see more growth in the IT industry.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
This is exciting to hear. I'm about to move to KC, to attend grad school in another field. However, I previously worked in IT for a decade. My hope is to pick up some freelance or temp IT work in the summers in KC.

I'm hopeful that pendulum will be swinging back from the extremes we have seen. It sounds like KC has a lot of great infrastructure, skilled workers, and reasonably priced real estate, so perhaps it is a city where we'll see more growth in the IT industry.
Seems that Cerner will lead the job growth. There's a startup called Zaarly operationally based in KC that's taking off. Handmark is also a major publisher of phone apps. Sprint is finally starting to turn around but it may be a while before it turns to local job growth. The side companies that support Sprint will likely add more though. Will be disastrous (for KC) if the Feds allow Verizon to acquire Sprint, which could eventually be attempted if the ATT/Tmob thing goes through.

Am more worried about Garmin though. They'll coast along with the aviation/boating/outdoor products but they are getting killed with the consumer products now that smartphones act as GPS devices.

The other area KC is strong in is animal health. Apparently 1/3 of the global animal health industry is in the broader KC region. Animal health companies are starting to move here, building the momentum. Might be some opportunities there that tangent the tech industry.

This site does a good job tracking the growth industries in the broader KC region..
KCADC - Economic Development and Business Recruitment in Greater Kansas City

Old 08-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Also, this claims KC is one of the highest creators of Android apps... (I'm one of them). It's not just Sprint and Handmark. I know of many who create apps as a hobby.

Guess which cities produce the most Android apps | VentureBeat

Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM

14,969 posts, read 19,692,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Also, this claims KC is one of the highest creators of Android apps... (I'm one of them). It's not just Sprint and Handmark. I know of many who create apps as a hobby.

Guess which cities produce the most Android apps | VentureBeat
Ah, an App creator. You're definitely have that IT mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City