U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,842,434 times
^Thanks!.

A lot of them tend to get ridiculous during the winter and, even though the storm is days away, some of the models are showing crazy accumulations. They get excited, but they need to tell people how unlikely those numbers are to come to fruition. It's hard for me to blame them for worrying tho -- people die when that sh*t gets bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM

10,031 posts, read 11,313,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Thanks!.

A lot of them tend to get ridiculous during the winter and, even though the storm is days away, some of the models are showing crazy accumulations. They get excited, but they need to tell people how unlikely those numbers are to come to fruition. It's hard for me to blame them for worrying tho -- people die when that sh*t gets bad.
They pull the same crap here in Denver. Throughout the winter, they play this tease game. It can be sunny and 65 in January and rather than focus on the nice weather, they focus on "the models are showing a possibility of snow, maybe over 6" and high wind, a week from next Monday". Or the commercial teasers, "Sunny and 65 right now in Denver, but where will snow be killing people in just a few days? Tune in at 10...." Or just this week they've been focusing on the possibility of temps in the mid 90s this weekend, as if life will end. I get it though. It's all in the marketing, trying to get stupid viewers worried and tuning in.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM

16,379 posts, read 12,993,201 times
Personally, having gone through an F5, I'm okay with better safe than sorry.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Most hated professions by order:

IRS auditor
Lawyer
Meteorologist
Axe murderer

Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Personally, having gone through an F5, I'm okay with better safe than sorry.

The problem is that they take it too far. You can cause undue stress and worry on people if they claim that life threatening weather is coming when it is just a run of the day thunderstorm. That is not appropriate. Hype and big events get ratings but there needs to be some responsibility by these newscasters.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM

2,871 posts, read 2,477,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The problem is that they take it too far. You can cause undue stress and worry on people if they claim that life threatening weather is coming when it is just a run of the day thunderstorm. That is not appropriate. Hype and big events get ratings but there needs to be some responsibility by these newscasters.
You mean there IS such a thing as a garden-variety thunderstorm here? Wow, you'd never know that in KC. Seriously, storms never bothered me in Chicago, and we had some whoppers. But now, the rhetoric that precedes every rain event really makes me uneasy.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM

16,379 posts, read 12,993,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Again, having had to live through that and the aftermath, I'll take undue worry (and, as a lifelong tornado alley resident, I don't worry...I just take cover). If conditions are favorable, that's good enough for me...I'd rather know, and I'm not about to come back and say, "Hey, you really unnecessarily worried me...If I'm gonna get that stressed, I might as well get some twister action out of it." I'm just gonna be glad. I'm not about to split hairs over what didn't happen, and the fact that somebody told me to be on alert even though nothing happened. Just me. Straight line winds that can accompany thunderstorms can be incredibly destructive, as well...tornadoes aren't the only severe weather worth noting.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 AM

^It's true. People die all the time when a tree falls on their house. That'd be little condolence for a family who loses someone -- "Yes, your loved one died because they were crushed by a gigantic Oak tree, but at least we didn't warn you about a tornado that wasn't going to happen!"

Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM

216 posts, read 302,567 times
Interesting shift in attitudes here since this thread opened. We can all see the effect the disasters in Joplin and elsewhere have had.

I agree with all you have said. It is when every weather disturbance is turned into a "weather event" that I roll my eyes. And especially when snow is concerned. Snow seldom takes us by surprise in a deadly way, like a tornado. If it is going to be risky to travel, we can see it happening. So that gets really over hyped, and it frustrates me. Also, "heat index" "wind chill" and all that jazz. Again, when it is 40 below, that's one thing. But calculating wind chill when it isn't really dangerously cold seems excessive.

Hard to exaggerate the danger of things like tornadoes, hurricanes and winds, however, and when those events are on the horizon, best to be well informed. There is a delicate balance between being alarmist or "fear mongering" and being informative.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 AM

401 posts, read 478,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
"heat index"
I don't disagree with you on the hyping of "events." However on high heat index days it is important to remind people to stay indoors, hydrated or tell them where they can find shelter.

Heat kills more people than all the natural disasters combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City