U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,184 times

Advertisements

Hi we may be moving to Kansas City toward the end of summer. We've been looking at houses on the web and we had been thinking we would try to move to Brookside, but some of the homes we've viewed in Roanoke Park and Hyde Park look really beautiful. Are these neighborhoods kid friendly?

We want to live in a diverse, walkable neighborhood.

We'd love to hear about people's experiences. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,718,307 times
Where are you coming from? Could probably give a better comparison to hoods in your city. Roanoke isn't loaded with families but isn't family unfriendly. How old are the kids? Would suggest renting for a year before committing if that's possible. You can then find the hood that's right for you and give Roanoke a shot. Roanoke a pretty nice area... not as 'family oriented' as Brookside but better than many other areas of midtown for raising a kid. HP is a little more rough around the edges, more for the urban hardened.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,990,662 times
I love Roanoke and the homes are gorgeous, you're right. But the lots are actually pretty large and the population seems just a touch older. But I do I regularly see kids in the park there! And if you walk down to 39th St. West you'll see plenty of families along with doctors, hipsters, couples, seniors -- everybody really. Coleman Highlands, the neighborhood just to the north, isn't as walkable to shops and restaurants, but the housing stock is still very lovely and there seem to be more families than Roanoke. I would happily raise kids in either -- though the walkability afforded by Roanoke is right up my alley.

Hyde Park is a bit more of a mixed bag and can be block by block. The housing stock is stunning, but IMO the neighborhood just hasn't quite caught up.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:20 PM

496 posts, read 538,826 times
I'll agree with others about Roanoke -great place to live. Nice for families, though it won't have the high concentration of families of Brookside.

Hyde Park had the neighborhood garage sale this weekend, which afforded me the opportunity to stroll around Central Hyde Park, which I don't do often enough, even though I live just two blocks away in North Hyde Park.

Central Hyde Park (between 39th and Armour) is a stunning neighborhood and I think it is absolutely family friendly (most of the sales I stopped at were families). Some of the most beautiful streets in the city are in CHP - every bit as nice and safe feeling as the nicest streets in Brookside. The difference is that you're just a couple blocks away from some very rough spots.

If you live in KC and you've never been down Jansen place - take yourself for a drive or a stroll - some of the most amazing homes in the city on an isolated little road.

North and South Hyde Park are definitely more of a mixed bag - block to block - but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend CHP for families.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,143,251 times
I went to the HP garage sale this weekend and also noticed that Central Hyde Park looked to be the most family friendly

Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 8,184 times
Default Roanoke park, schools, etc.

our son and daughter turned a year old yesterday (but were eight weeks early). We currently live in Berkeley, CA. We want to avoid multiple moves b/c we want to provide continuity for our children and because we have so much stuff that it is costly and not feasible for us to keep moving. I appreciate everyone's responses and would love any other thoughts people have.

We like the idea of Academie Lafayette, but it seems as if there is always a waiting list.

We also noticed that someone was starting a Waldorf preschool. Does anyone know anything about that

Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Can't speak for schools... but if you aren't going to rent and are going to make a commitment to buy in the city, Roanoke area (and W39th variety) might be right for you. It's a safer investment bet than probably most midtown hoods. I would say Brookside/Plaza area would be safest investment in city core overall. Roanoke probably right behind those areas, maybe better value as some homes are grander than Bside at same price range. Bside neighborhood shops are more 'refined' than w39th with better grocery stores - more similar to Boulder CO if you've been but better housing stock. w39th shops/restaurants have a scrappier feel but more offbeat and ethnic variety - is no Berkeley though.

BTW, a small area similar to Hyde Park but has much less issues is Union Hill (31st E of Main) with some pretty cool turn o century homes that overlook downtown. There is a bar district there (Martini Corner) that generally caters more to 20 something professionals (some families but not mostly) and dog park nearby but w39th has much more variety of ethnic eats and Roanoke has nicer more functional parks.

Last edited by xenokc; 06-16-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 7,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
If you live in KC and you've never been down Jansen place - take yourself for a drive or a stroll - some of the most amazing homes in the city on an isolated little road.
I wish I had read this post before the weekend. My wife and I were in town looking at different neighborhoods and never would have imagined that that gem was there.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM

So OP, did you find something in Roanoke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City