Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times

Advertisements

KCMO proper almost seems like a better fit from a geographic standpoint to be in Kansas? There are natural boundaries already in place like the Missouri River along the north and the Blue River Valley along the East.

Even if you look on household Population maps, the kansas side flows so much more with KCMO proper then Eastern Jackson County and the Northland because of the natural boundaries as well as industrial areas making the areas more disconnected.

Too bad KCMO wasn't in Kansas, because you would have one KC, KCK would probably just be apart of KCMO or just called Wyandotte. St Louis would be the Primary town in Missouri and Kansas would have a nice sized city instead of nothing. Who knows

Here is a map i made showing the new border changes for Kansas and Missouri

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&ie=UTF8&ll=39.001043,-94.538727&spn=0.313766,0.500565&z=11&msid=21689832 2743298024743.0004a6da26c5839075ff9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
I've thought about what you have many times. I would be up for donating KCMO to KS if the capital moved from Topeka to downtown KC.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
That would simply ensure, forever more, that no democrat is elected to any federal office in MO. This would make me very sad and as such I'm glad KCMO is right where it is.

Can't argue with your point that geographically it would make a fair amount of sense though!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That would simply ensure, forever more, that no democrat is elected to any federal office in MO. This would make me very sad and as such I'm glad KCMO is right where it is.

Can't argue with your point that geographically it would make a fair amount of sense though!
I have always thought that KC would be better off if the entire metro were in one state. Moving the state line and still leaving 1/3 of the population in MO solves nothing though. If that were the city limits of KCMO, then who's to say that all that growth that went to JoCo wouldn't have gone to the MO suburbs instead of JoCo for all the same reasons it went to joco?

The MO suburbs could poach companies more easily, the MO side would be an escape route from the threat of school desegregation, just as the KS side was in the 70's and 80's.

Everything would just reverse.

Put the entire metro in one state or at least 90% of it.

As far as Kansas being the better option. While I'm not fan of how Missouri treats KCMO, what the hell has Kansas done with KCK? The threw a suburb onto the side of it. The rest of the city is pretty much a joke.

As much as metro KC people love to rip on KCMO, as an urban city, it's light-years ahead of KCK and it really is a pretty nice city despite the issues it has. Kansas has proven it has no interest in urban areas and had made suburban sprawl it's number one priority. Do you really want kcmo in such a state? Do you really want KCMO's top attraction and area to be zona rosa while the rest of the city rots and hasn’t changed (for the better) in 60 years?

What KC needs is a metropolitan overlay government. That won't happen either, but it has a slightly better chance of happening than moving the state line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: