U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 14,311 times
Default Life in Lenexa for a 30-something SWM

I may take a job in Lenexa soon. I am single and will want to meet new friends. I still like to grab a beer, play pool at a local spot, etc. Where is a good place to lay roots for a 39 yr old guy that's wants some nightlife? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jmihelcic; 08-08-2007 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM

29,489 posts, read 17,721,288 times
Lenexa is pure suburbs so "night life" is a relative term.

There is a Tanners sports bar and a Corner Pocket (billiards bar) both on the north side of 87th street between quivera and Pflumm (about a mile west of I-35). They are both nice places to go out to. I go to Tanners to watch sunday football often as they rarely show Bears games on regular TV. :-)

You will also be within a 20-25 minute drive of Legends (dave and busters etc.) up by the racetrack\Cabellas etc. as well as any number of other places throughout the metro too.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 14,311 times
thanks! do you live in Lenexa? what about the surrounding areas?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:53 PM

29,489 posts, read 17,721,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmihelcic View Post
thanks! do you live in Lenexa? what about the surrounding areas?
<shrug> I don't get out much so that's all the help I can really offer you.
There are supposed to be a number of nice places to go in the downtown area.

Just remember, you can be just about anywhere in under 40 minutes so you really have the whole KC metro area to play with.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 AM

359 posts, read 1,263,201 times
Do you like pubs? There is a Paddy O'Quigleys Irish Pub in Leawood. It can get loud and smokey in there sometimes, though.
The Fox and the Hound, an english pub, in Overland Park does have some billiards rooms seperate from the main pub room. The main pub room is surrounded by big screen TV's playing MTV, which is the bottom of the barrel as far as TV goes. Maybe they don't play MTV all the time, though. The best locally owned Irish Pub just closed *sniff*.
I don't know much about other places. We tend to frequent pubs because, well, we're of Irish decent and we like beer, fish, and chips, and really good live music
Good Luck. This is a great place to live.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 AM

6,887 posts, read 4,726,714 times
Just go cruising around the metro and you will definitely find a place to fit in. Some much to do in the KC metro area it is nearly impossible to list it all.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM

6,887 posts, read 4,726,714 times
How about Sand Volleyball? Corner of Blue Ridge and Holmes Rd in South KC in the Martin City area. That place is always loaded with people.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 20,743 times
Smile Life in Johnson County

Hi jmihelcic,

I think KC in general has a bad reputation for dating. People seem to pair up fairly young or stick with people they grew up with. That said, most of the people you will find in the area are very friendly and welcoming. I have some single (very normal) friends who have had a hard time connecting with the right person.

Some ideas they've had that have helped them meet people are joining various community volunteer organizations or events, taking interesting classes (cooking, wine tasting - for example) and sometimes just taking part time work in places where they'll have more opportunities to meet new people. You mentioned you like to play pool, and I'm not sure about pool leagues...but I've had some friends who participated in dart or bowling leagues that were a lot of fun for them.

Good luck- it's really quite a nice area.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,915 times
Quote:
I may take a job in Lenexa soon. I am single and will want to meet new friends. I still like to grab a beer, play pool at a local spot, etc. Where is a good place to lay roots for a 39 yr old guy that's wants some nightlife? Thanks in advance.
I'd second the advice that Lenexa may be sleepy for the scene you're looking for. I can also second the recommendations for Tanners (chain) and Fox & Hound. Try walking around Westport and the Plaza and you'll probably find a bar that fits what you want, albeit inconvenient. You may not think of it, but a lot of the restaurant bars have secret lives as what you'd think of a traditional bar-only establishment.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,105 times
Default Like to play pool?

Quote:
There is Sidepockets, 13320 W 87th St Pkwy. Their website is [URL="http://www.sidepockets.com"]Side Pockets[/URL].

I hope that helps! If you need any billiards supplies, be sure to get them from us at [URL="http://www.cuesight.com"]CueSight Billiards[/URL].

Glad to help,

Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City