Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:14 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,446,568 times

Advertisements

I really think KC would be your best choice over Indy and Columbus because you have more suburban areas here, which means there are more school districts, so the chances to land a job in the counseling field are much greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I really think KC would be your best choice over Indy and Columbus because you have more suburban areas here, which means there are more school districts, so the chances to land a job in the counseling field are much greater.
Indianapolis is pretty much ALL suburban so I don't see what your point is. Hamilton and Hendricks counties in Indiana are quite comprable to Platte County in Missouri and Johnson County Kansas. Hamilton County also has a higher median household income than Johnson County, KS.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,446,568 times
Indy and Columbus don't have as many individual school districts and local governments though

These are stats from Census
School Districts per 100,000 (Metro)
KC - 4.5
Columbus 3.2
Indy - 2.9

Local Governments per 100k
KC - 30.5
Indy - 23.6
Columbus - 16.8

Units of Local Government (General and Special Interest)
KC - 613
Indy - 401
Columbus - 293

Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,277,853 times
Are you wanting urban or suburban?

At any rate, carefully research any recs you get, because I've noticed a habit of some in the KC metro to identify various true city neighborhoods as suburban, for some reason. A small thing to some, maybe, but I've noticed what's to me a distinct difference in people's interpretation of what constitutes urban vs. what constitutes suburban.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM

64 posts, read 113,654 times
Quote:
Thanks, brew. I have been researching along those lines. Right now, in most of the city I've ran demografphics on, the opportunities for a Case Managment position are pretty good and I'm sure my 15 years of experience (behavior modification, crisis intervention, etc) in various communities around the country (I have some great professional references) will help. Even though I choose not to live in the low income public school system neighborhoods, it is where I choose to work. I have to put my family's safety above my passion.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Indianapolis is pretty much ALL suburban so I don't see what your point is. Hamilton and Hendricks counties in Indiana are quite comprable to Platte County in Missouri and Johnson County Kansas. Hamilton County also has a higher median household income than Johnson County, KS.
Thanks, for your post, GraniteStater. Very interesting observation.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Indy and Columbus don't have as many individual school districts and local governments though

KC - 4.5
Columbus 3.2
Indy - 2.9

KC - 30.5
Indy - 23.6
Columbus - 16.8

KC - 613
Indy - 401
Columbus - 293
Thanks, Brew. These stats are along the same levels I view recently.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Are you wanting urban or suburban?

At any rate, carefully research any recs you get, because I've noticed a habit of some in the KC metro to identify various true city neighborhoods as suburban, for some reason. A small thing to some, maybe, but I've noticed what's to me a distinct difference in people's interpretation of what constitutes urban vs. what constitutes suburban.
I understand your point. As you may also know, there are different levels of suburban and urban living. Some people may not know exactly where the lines are drawn (how far in or out of the metropolitan area). However, I'm only interested in the breakdown of the city's dynamic in reference to my personal demographics. I'm pretty good at determined whether it's urban, suburban or somewhere in between and whether it's a good fit or not. At any rate, any attempt by someone trying to help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tabula.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Quote:

KC - 4.5
Columbus 3.2
Indy - 2.9

KC - 30.5
Indy - 23.6
Columbus - 16.8

KC - 613
Indy - 401
Columbus - 293
Indy and Columbus aren't as large in terms of MSA population. KC is so spread out its ridiculous. It doesn't surprise me that they would also have more school districts and units of government.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:26 AM

12,885 posts, read 13,554,771 times
Have you done any preliminary research on how the state of Kansas or Missouri funds is social services? Which has the most preferable system of youth care treatment facilities? Its been some time since I worked in Social Services but I seem to remember the systems were different, You might Compare some place like the Niles Home for Children in KCMO and KVC in Kansas. Both are well established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City