Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

I guess KCMO has four helicopters now.

Helicopter Unit

At one time KCPD wanted to charge JoCo and WyCo every time they were needed in those areas. Not sure what came of that. They were probably told where to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:48 AM

103 posts, read 259,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't know what a police scanner (or even 3) has to do with anything, as it must be impossible to hear all that is going on in a city this size.

Gun shots are frequently heard in the part of KCK the OP was asking about, as is the ghetto bird (KCMO's police helicopter). The helicopter, and you know its the cops when they're shining the spotlight all over a wooded area, is frequently in KCK - although sometimes it is helping KCMO cops chase somebody into KCK, which happens fairly often.

How do I know? I lived in a subdivision northeast of 63rd and Parallel and heard and saw these things for myself by living there day in and day out. The gun shots are so frequent, I doubt very many people call the police. My step dad did once, when the shots were from a moving car directly in front of his house.

It doesn't take a felon to peddle drugs and shoot a gun into the air, though they are on track to be a felon. Drug problems may be worse east of 635, naturally, but what I said regarding drugs and the area between 635 and roughly 67th street is true. They are rampant.

How do I know? I lived in the area and knew both drug users and dealers. They deliver marijuana (and crack) like the ice cream man delivers ice cream, in broad daylight, in the middle of neighborhoods, and even to kids under 18. It happens daily and frequently. The dealers are kept busy. And it's still going on. Weird the PD doesn't do anything about it when it is so obvious and open.

No ****. JoCo is over a half a million people. WyCo is 150,000.

KCK rated some of the best schools in the metro? Compared to KCMO, maybe. But I'm not sure the KCK schools are as good, let alone better, than even Raytown, Hickman Mills, Center, or Grandview. I think sometimes people forget part of schools is what type of people your kids will be socialized by, and I don't think KCK's at the top of the list for anybody in regard to that.
Growing up in KCK can say love my hometown, but it isnt the best place. Also you have to look at the inner city of kck compared to the areas out west in kck. They are two different areas when it come to crime. Areas out west are alot better and alot nicer. m sorry, but the same things don't happen nearly as often going into the victory hills area. Yes stuff happens in those areas, but not often as the inner city areas. Also no KCK school are not the best in the metro, and went to school in KCK so know. ut before people throw stones thinking nothing good comes from Kansas City High School take a look at Sumner Academy it is in the top 100 high school in the country. No other schools beside one or two on the missouri side are in the top 100 not even in JO. See the problem in KC just like alot of other cities is that SOME people living in the bigger city of the Metro (KCMO) and suburbs(Johnson County) have this complex of basically im better than everyone else more so the JO people. can honestly say that mostly all of my friends that graduated high school with have went to college and graduated or is about to graduate including myself. Just as im pretty sure JO people can say about people from their schools. would love to move back home to Kansas City after graduating, but hate the way people act in certain parts of the city. can admit do like johnson county and have met really cool people from JO and actually met some down at my college in arkansas, but one thing that is soooo funny to me is people from JO say they are the beverly hills of the mid west ROFLMAO. Nice area will tell you that, but no everly Hills. just would love to get on here one day and see a topic about the kc metro where our own metro area isn't bashing each other and putting each other down. Goodness see why people don't visit KC often look how the people from the metro talk about it. Anyways sorry for the rant and im pretty sure have som mis spelled words and crappy sentence structure lol sorry typing from my ipad lol[/b][/i]

Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 AM

Sad to say hate that KCK hasn't done much as a community to make my hometown vibrant. Ys out west it is alot of stuff which every time go home am geeked. would love for the whole city of kck to make some changes and not all out west. Actually can anyone tell me if they are building any apartments out in village west?[/b][/i][/i]

Old 09-11-2011, 08:29 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
from my experience growing up in the Quindaro Bluffs section of Wyco, it seems most of the people that are crime victims have criminal records them selves. I would have to drive to that particular block to see what it looked like before I could make a blanket statement about an entire section or addition.There are relatives of mine who live near 18th and Richmond who boast about how safe their block is. 18th and Richmond was once the deadliest corner in the US.

There was a trend in the sixties and seventies when folks in Quindaro began to move west and folks in the west moved south. This was precipitated by the construction of 435, it destroyed the Quindaro area. If I had to move back today and if I had to live in WyCo, the far north western part of the county would get my first look. The housing deals are great out there. I would personally look north of Parallel west of about 65th.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by careerbound View Post
Growing up in KCK can say love my hometown, but it isnt the best place. Also you have to look at the inner city of kck compared to the areas out west in kck. They are two different areas when it come to crime. Areas out west are alot better and alot nicer. m sorry, but the same things don't happen nearly as often going into the victory hills area. Yes stuff happens in those areas, but not often as the inner city areas. Also no KCK school are not the best in the metro, and went to school in KCK so know. ut before people throw stones thinking nothing good comes from Kansas City High School take a look at Sumner Academy it is in the top 100 high school in the country. No other schools beside one or two on the missouri side are in the top 100 not even in JO. See the problem in KC just like alot of other cities is that SOME people living in the bigger city of the Metro (KCMO) and suburbs(Johnson County) have this complex of basically im better than everyone else more so the JO people. can honestly say that mostly all of my friends that graduated high school with have went to college and graduated or is about to graduate including myself. Just as im pretty sure JO people can say about people from their schools. would love to move back home to Kansas City after graduating, but hate the way people act in certain parts of the city. can admit do like johnson county and have met really cool people from JO and actually met some down at my college in arkansas, but one thing that is soooo funny to me is people from JO say they are the beverly hills of the mid west ROFLMAO. Nice area will tell you that, but no everly Hills. just would love to get on here one day and see a topic about the kc metro where our own metro area isn't bashing each other and putting each other down. Goodness see why people don't visit KC often look how the people from the metro talk about it. Anyways sorry for the rant and im pretty sure have som mis spelled words and crappy sentence structure lol sorry typing from my ipad lol[/b][/i]
Bold type = bad! .

JoCo is the main reason I don't want to move back to KC. Too much of the metro just has no respect for the city and they think way too highly of themselves. JoCo is about as average suburbia as you can get, but they truly think it's some sort of gift from GOD to them. It wouldn't be such a big deal if so many people there didn't hate KCMO so much. I honest to god think JoCo ruins KC and keeps it from being so much more of a metro. It sucks the life out of KCMO by steeling jobs. The general attitude is so anti KCMO and anti Missouri, but they are fine with going to baseball games, worlds of fun, bartle hall etc. (yes I know not everybody is like this, but WAY TOO MANY are). You can't even get JoCo on the same page about regional transit.

As far as KCK. That's another thing. While JoCo is constantly praising itself as an amazing place, there is another county in Kansas that has basically been left to rot and the speedway area (to me that area is more a part of Bonner Springs than KCK), may as well be an extension of western JoCo.

KCK has amazing potential, but it will never be realized because everything about Kansas is about suburban sprawl and suburban sprawl at any cost.

JoCo is not the place people think it is. The county can't even build up areas like Mission that is only miles from the plaza. In any other metro, Mission would have transformed into a Clayton by now. A dense, mixed use inner ring suburb. Even with hundreds of millions of star bond money, they can't even develop the old mission mall site. Why? Because Kansas ruins the urban revitalization value of STAR bonds by using them to subside sprawl greenfield developments and the only way KS can get jobs is by steeling them from KCMO. The law firm chose the plaza, so now Mission and Kansas will throw everything they got at long time kcmo based AMC to try to build something on that site.

JoCo development is stuck in the 1980's and places like Olathe and northern OP are quickly starting to show signs of suburban decay that could spread even faster than normal because of all the substandard construction and vast aging strip malls and big box clusters.

STAR bonds should be used to redevelop urban areas only. Not build on farm fields and not to steel stuff from KCMO.

KCK has no real chance now at ever being anything other than mostly blight with an island of state subsidized sprawl way out west. It could have done both, but chose to go with Village West 100%. And no, there is very little residential going up around village west. It's surrounded by farms. The lack of new residential out there is actually amazing to me.

JoCo is quickly going down the same path. The state and county is subsidizing projects like Corbin Park and Lionsgate, both are projects that can't get off the ground even with tons of corporate welfare because south JoCo is overbuilt, while northern JoCo begins to deteriorate.

JoCo people make fun of KCMO for using tifs to REDEVELOP a huge portion of Downtown KCMO, but don't take notice that the highly successful suburban Zona Rosa is not a tif project (like most projects that are failing in JoCo (corbin, lenexa city center, great mall etc).

Metro KC has been totally brainwashed about both JoCo and WyCo and most people believe that JoCo is KC's gift from GOD and WyCo is doing everything right and KCMO can't do anything right.

LOL.

That's all I can say...

Last edited by kcmo; 09-11-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
from my experience growing up in the Quindaro Bluffs section of Wyco, it seems most of the people that are crime victims have criminal records them selves. I would have to drive to that particular block to see what it looked like before I could make a blanket statement about an entire section or addition.There are relatives of mine who live near 18th and Richmond who boast about how safe their block is. 18th and Richmond was once the deadliest corner in the US.

There was a trend in the sixties and seventies when folks in Quindaro began to move west and folks in the west moved south. This was precipitated by the construction of 435, it destroyed the Quindaro area. If I had to move back today and if I had to live in WyCo, the far north western part of the county would get my first look. The housing deals are great out there. I would personally look north of Parallel west of about 65th.
The far northwest corner of WyCo ( as well as into LV co) along the highway 5 corridor is a pretty cool rural area. Very hilly, forested, good access to 435, and in the Piper school district. If I was going for a semi-rural living situation, I like that area, but western Parkville, with the same setting, on the other side of the river offers better grocery stores and amenities within a close drive.

Which reminds me, I like to cook and eat. I need a good grocery store nearby. KCK's grocery stores suck. The 2 Price Choppers are lacking and aren't as nice as other Price Choppers. Selection is horrid. Very little seafood, no butchers meat selection, not a good selection of deli stuff. Even Hen House in KCK is lacking. While Hen House is an upscale brand of store, the one in KCK doesn't even compare to Price Chopper stores outside KCK.

If you want a good grocery store with a selection of seafood, butcher's counter, cheeses, etc., that's something to check out before moving to KCK.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Lol yeah did mean to typing from my pad instead of my laptop at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Bold type = bad! .

JoCo is the main reason I don't want to move back to KC. Too much of the metro just has no respect for the city and they think way too highly of themselves. JoCo is about as average suburbia as you can get, but they truly think it's some sort of gift from GOD to them. It wouldn't be such a big deal if so many people there didn't hate KCMO so much. I honest to god think JoCo ruins KC and keeps it from being so much more of a metro. It sucks the life out of KCMO by steeling jobs. The general attitude is so anti KCMO and anti Missouri, but they are fine with going to baseball games, worlds of fun, bartle hall etc. (yes I know not everybody is like this, but WAY TOO MANY are). You can't even get JoCo on the same page about regional transit.

As far as KCK. That's another thing. While JoCo is constantly praising itself as an amazing place, there is another county in Kansas that has basically been left to rot and the speedway area (to me that area is more a part of Bonner Springs than KCK), may as well be an extension of western JoCo.

KCK has amazing potential, but it will never be realized because everything about Kansas is about suburban sprawl and suburban sprawl at any cost.

JoCo is not the place people think it is. The county can't even build up areas like Mission that is only miles from the plaza. In any other metro, Mission would have transformed into a Clayton by now. A dense, mixed use inner ring suburb. Even with hundreds of millions of star bond money, they can't even develop the old mission mall site. Why? Because Kansas ruins the urban revitalization value of STAR bonds by using them to subside sprawl greenfield developments and the only way KS can get jobs is by steeling them from KCMO. The law firm chose the plaza, so now Mission and Kansas will throw everything they got at long time kcmo based AMC to try to build something on that site.

JoCo development is stuck in the 1980's and places like Olathe and northern OP are quickly starting to show signs of suburban decay that could spread even faster than normal because of all the substandard construction and vast aging strip malls and big box clusters.

STAR bonds should be used to redevelop urban areas only. Not build on farm fields and not to steel stuff from KCMO.

KCK has no real chance now at ever being anything other than mostly blight with an island of state subsidized sprawl way out west. It could have done both, but chose to go with Village West 100%. And no, there is very little residential going up around village west. It's surrounded by farms. The lack of new residential out there is actually amazing to me.

JoCo is quickly going down the same path. The state and county is subsidizing projects like Corbin Park and Lionsgate, both are projects that can't get off the ground even with tons of corporate welfare because south JoCo is overbuilt, while northern JoCo begins to deteriorate.

JoCo people make fun of KCMO for using tifs to REDEVELOP a huge portion of Downtown KCMO, but don't take notice that the highly successful suburban Zona Rosa is not a tif project (like most projects that are failing in JoCo (corbin, lenexa city center, great mall etc).

Metro KC has been totally brainwashed about both JoCo and WyCo and most people believe that JoCo is KC's gift from GOD and WyCo is doing everything right and KCMO can't do anything right.

LOL.

That's all I can say...

Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Also I guess I am just a little different. Being from the KC metro I do have family and friends on boths sides. We have our little jokes for each other but I like KCMO. I guess my thing is we all shop at the same places and go out to the same clubs in the metro area. It just bothers me when WE (KC people) get on this site and embarrass the metro. Not just KCMO, KCK or JOCO but the metro. That why people never take KC serious. Of course other cities have the same problems, but its a shame that I don't even like looking on the Kansas board or Kansas city board because I know when I get on it's going to be alot of bashing. If I ever moved back home I would live in the inner city of KCK I would go out west. In KCMO there are many areas that I would not live, and many areas I love. To me and most people I know KC is KC. When I drive home to visit(coming from little rock) soon as I hit the metro I say I'm home. Actually for those who have taken the drive from arkansas to KC may know where the quick n tasty sign is, but once I see that sign and the first price chopper sign I get happy cause I know I'm back home and that's on the Missouri side outside of grand view. And I also totally agree that KCK will never come up cause all the focus if on joco and village west although in KCK all the way basically on the outer rim of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Bold type = bad! .

LOL.

That's all I can say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City