U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times

Advertisements

Crime-wise, how safe is this area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM

21 posts, read 17,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkr6452 View Post
Crime-wise, how safe is this area?
Is this the area you are referring to? http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...s-City-KS.html If so, I grew up around there and my family still live around there! I'm biased but I really like the area. KCK is my favorite part of the Kansas City metro.

Crime wise, I would say it is pretty safe. We never had any problems. Any crime would be random and what is average for an urban suburb.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,969,984 times
This area of mid-KCK is halfway decent, relatively speaking. It's where the northeastern ghetto transitions into a more middle-class area to the west, so it is a mix of people and violent crime is present, but not at a high rate. Areas in the vicinity of Victory Hills to particularly watch out for are the Crestwood apartments just north of 59th and Parallel and the adjoining low-income subdivision of duplexes, the apartment complex just north of the low-income highrise at 61st and Leavenworth Rd, and the apartment complex at 55th and State Ave. Those places are bad news and wreak a lot of havoc for the entire area.

You're safest and have more solid neighborhoods west of about roughly 67th Street, which is where you'll find most of the retail, restaurants and best grocery stores in the area. Those to the east literally refer to the area to the west as "white man's land" and in reality the entire area is mixed race, but west of the 60s is much more middle-class, so I think that moniker simply signifies that they will have a harder time getting away with crime westwardly.

You won't find a gas station or convenience store east of, oh, 78th street, that isn't ghetto and laden with blunt wraps, incense, pipes, etc.

Drugs are a big issue in the area, particularly east of 67th. Marijuana, "wet", and crack are rampant. There are many drug dealers in the area, and the black guys who deal are brave enough that they deliver drugs in their vehicle as if they were the ice cream man, provided you have their number and call, which isn't hard to get if you're looking for it. Why something isn't done about this by the KCKPD, I do not know, particularly with the crack, as much of it is funneled into the aparment complexes I mentioned below.

I've had my feet on the ground in this area and am intimately familar. I even saw the fall of the area from when Indian Springs mall was a major, happening mall, to the abandoned state it is in now. Also got to see most of my grade-school classmates move away.

All in all, I would not introduce children to this area. Although, that's not to say there aren't good kids in the area who somehow remain indifferent and on track regardless of the social cancer all around them or whose parents know no better and think the whole world must be like their neighborhood and thus have no incentive to move. By the way, the KCK school district doesn't end until 99th ST, where the Piper school distict begins.

Expect to hear gun shots and see the police helicopter frequently, especially in the summer, if east of 67th Street.

Last edited by MOKAN; 09-07-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM

MOKAN,

I do not agree with your opinion of the Kansas City, Kansas Area for the most part. I lived in more than one part of the KCK area and the KCMO area. My husband runs a Twitter account @crimecaster. He has also done some minor things for channel 5 in the way of giving them stories. I must say that your take is kind of an embellishment. As we have 1-3 police scanners going on in the house at any given time, I know for a fact that there are few gun shots heard in the KCK area, let alone police helicopters flying around. There are only 3 law enforcement helicopters operating in the entire metro area, including Johnson county, which primarily uses KHP's chopper. KCK does not have their own helicopter, and uses KCMO's assistance every once in a while, but rarely.

Listening to the vice units on the scanner, most of the drug issues reside within the East and some of Midtown zones. These zones start around 43rd on down to 1st street, where the "projects" are. The apartments on 55th and Parallel have been taken over by new management, and they do not house tenets who are felons, period. Most rental companies in that area have a zero tolerance for past criminal offenders. My husband does little freelance work in KCK due to the fact that it becomes "dead" and void of anything news worthy after 6 PM in the evening.

Johnson County, the metro area's gem of a county, had 13 murders last year, compared to KCK's rate of 24. This is only a fraction of the murders in KCMO, which average over a 100 a year. Johnson County is much larger a county than Wyandotte.

To say "whose parents know no better and think the whole world must be like their neighborhood and thus have no incentive to move," is a classist thing to say about people. People everywhere, no matter what their class may choose to stay in one location. I feel that that comment has nothing to do with the quality of an area.

My parents are hard working middle class people who have invested much into their community. My husband grew up in what was considered to be the worse part of KCK, 6th and Washington, and has seen it blossom into a nice neighborhood over the years. His old house he grew up in that was at one time a dump has been rehabbed. It was originally built in the late 1800's.

It is a county with less money overall than the other counties around it, but it is for the most part a quiet county, and in much better shape than Jackson county, and runs second place to Johnson in financial stability (along with Platte and Cass and Clay). Do not forget that Wyandotte has NASCAR!

One last thing: KCK schools have been rated some of the best in the metro.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaciousrei View Post
MOKAN,

I do not agree with your opinion of the Kansas City, Kansas Area for the most part. I lived in more than one part of the KCK area and the KCMO area. My husband runs a Twitter account @crimecaster. He has also done some minor things for channel 5 in the way of giving them stories. I must say that your take is kind of an embellishment. As we have 1-3 police scanners going on in the house at any given time, I know for a fact that there are few gun shots heard in the KCK area, let alone police helicopters flying around. There are only 3 law enforcement helicopters operating in the entire metro area, including Johnson county, which primarily uses KHP's chopper. KCK does not have their own helicopter, and uses KCMO's assistance every once in a while, but rarely.
I don't know what a police scanner (or even 3) has to do with anything, as it must be impossible to hear all that is going on in a city this size.

Gun shots are frequently heard in the part of KCK the OP was asking about, as is the ghetto bird (KCMO's police helicopter). The helicopter, and you know its the cops when they're shining the spotlight all over a wooded area, is frequently in KCK - although sometimes it is helping KCMO cops chase somebody into KCK, which happens fairly often.

How do I know? I lived in a subdivision northeast of 63rd and Parallel and heard and saw these things for myself by living there day in and day out. The gun shots are so frequent, I doubt very many people call the police. My step dad did once, when the shots were from a moving car directly in front of his house.

Quote:
Listening to the vice units on the scanner, most of the drug issues reside within the East and some of Midtown zones. These zones start around 43rd on down to 1st street, where the "projects" are. The apartments on 55th and Parallel have been taken over by new management, and they do not house tenets who are felons, period. Most rental companies in that area have a zero tolerance for past criminal offenders. My husband does little freelance work in KCK due to the fact that it becomes "dead" and void of anything news worthy after 6 PM in the evening.
It doesn't take a felon to peddle drugs and shoot a gun into the air, though they are on track to be a felon. Drug problems may be worse east of 635, naturally, but what I said regarding drugs and the area between 635 and roughly 67th street is true. They are rampant.

How do I know? I lived in the area and knew both drug users and dealers. They deliver marijuana (and crack) like the ice cream man delivers ice cream, in broad daylight, in the middle of neighborhoods, and even to kids under 18. It happens daily and frequently. The dealers are kept busy. And it's still going on. Weird the PD doesn't do anything about it when it is so obvious and open.

Quote:
Johnson County, the metro area's gem of a county, had 13 murders last year, compared to KCK's rate of 24. This is only a fraction of the murders in KCMO, which average over a 100 a year. Johnson County is much larger a county than Wyandotte.
No ****. JoCo is over a half a million people. WyCo is 150,000.

Quote:
To say "whose parents know no better and think the whole world must be like their neighborhood and thus have no incentive to move," is a classist thing to say about people. People everywhere, no matter what their class may choose to stay in one location. I feel that that comment has nothing to do with the quality of an area.

My parents are hard working middle class people who have invested much into their community. My husband grew up in what was considered to be the worse part of KCK, 6th and Washington, and has seen it blossom into a nice neighborhood over the years. His old house he grew up in that was at one time a dump has been rehabbed. It was originally built in the late 1800's.

It is a county with less money overall than the other counties around it, but it is for the most part a quiet county, and in much better shape than Jackson county, and runs second place to Johnson in financial stability (along with Platte and Cass and Clay). Do not forget that Wyandotte has NASCAR!

One last thing: KCK schools have been rated some of the best in the metro.
KCK rated some of the best schools in the metro? Compared to KCMO, maybe. But I'm not sure the KCK schools are as good, let alone better, than even Raytown, Hickman Mills, Center, or Grandview. I think sometimes people forget part of schools is what type of people your kids will be socialized by, and I don't think KCK's at the top of the list for anybody in regard to that.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 AM

MOKAN,

I have lived in the area myself and I have not experienced the same things as you. I have lived off of 51st and Leavenworth Rd, 75th and Parallel, to name a few of my old neighborhoods, most of my life. I had a wonderful childhood and a good education in KCK.

My kids have gone to KCK schools (Frank Rushton and JFK) and have wonderful teachers, friends and there is a good sense of community. The kids there are like any other. There are good, bad and those in between there.

Sumner, which is father down in town is a great school and is rated above any in JoCo at the moment. There are many great elementary schools around as well. Frank Rushton and JFK, for example, have been wonderful for my kids.

Could some things be better? Yeah, that is a given. I have always felt safe in the area the OP asked about. My parents still live over that way and there is more of good area than bad.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 PM

75th and Parallel is on the better end of things. I grew up on Kimball near 51st. When I was a kid, it was great. I grew up in an amazing neighborhood with a great sense of community. That was in the 90s. Things have changed drastically and the ghetto is marching westward. There is a good side, sure, but the area overall is one to avoid unless you have roots there. Everything I said in my initial post is true and most middle class will avoid the area, for reasons starting with the schools. I have been guilty of this, but sometimes when in KCK I get the feeling of "this place isn't that bad...it's downright homely" but when I return to my neighborhood in KCMO and am in better areas in general, I see the contrast. If the schools and area were good, the I-70 corridor would be developed by now, but it remains semi-rural all the way through KCK and the little bit of development that exists in KCK is in the far rest in the Piper school district, which even it isn't that great to outsiders. It suffers from its relationship and proximity, both geographically and socially, with the rest of KCK.

This is kind of twisted, but one way to tell a good neighborhood is if you see beautiful young women or beautiful women in general, and you don't see that many of them in KCK.

Last edited by MOKAN; 09-08-2011 at 10:40 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 PM

7,838 posts, read 9,688,770 times
I grew up in urban kcmo (south plaza) and didn't ever go to the Kasnas side, ever. We just never did. Don't know why. Nobody ever said anything bad about kansas or anything, we just never thought about it or went there even though we were so close to it. I think we went to Prarie Village or stuff on state line, but that was about it.

One of the first times I actually remember going to the Kansas side was when I got my driverís license.

A buddy and me were driving around exploring the KS side. I remember driving down metcalf and it turning into a freeway and freaking us out. You know, I-635 haha. Sounds so silly now.

Well, we somehow ended up in the quindaro area of KCK, we stopped at a gas station and a bunch of kids started yelling "whities" and walking toward the car. We got out of there and end up totally lost in northern KCK in what seemed like ozark hillbilly country to us at the time. Shacks, lots of junk in yards, aggressive dogs, narrow country looking roads, but really close to downtown KCK or maybe it was midtown, I donít know.

We finally found our way out of KCK, but that was our first real visit to the city. I remember it well. Good times.

BTW, KCMO has 3 police choppers. KCK has none. I do know they go over to KCK often, mainly because car chases cross back and forth between KCMO and KCK all the time. There seems to be a lot of interaction between KCMO's east side and KCK.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
75th and Parallel is on the better end of things. I grew up on Kimball near 51st. When I was a kid, it was great. I grew up in an amazing neighborhood with a great sense of community. That was in the 90s. Things have changed drastically and the ghetto is marching westward. There is a good side, sure, but the area overall is one to avoid unless you have roots there. Everything I said in my initial post is true and most middle class will avoid the area, for reasons starting with the schools. I have been guilty of this, but sometimes when in KCK I get the feeling of "this place isn't that bad...it's downright homely" but when I return to my neighborhood in KCMO and am in better areas in general, I see the contrast. If the schools and area were good, the I-70 corridor would be developed by now, but it remains semi-rural all the way through KCK and the little bit of development that exists in KCK is in the far rest in the Piper school district, which even it isn't that great to outsiders. It suffers from its relationship and proximity, both geographically and socially, with the rest of KCK.

This is kind of twisted, but one way to tell a good neighborhood is if you see beautiful young women or beautiful women in general, and you don't see that many of them in KCK.
We are obviously going to disagree. My experiences in the county over the last 30 years are very different. I would tell the OP, if they are still reading, to go to the area and hang out for a while. That's really the only way to see if it is for you.

Anyway, My kids go to KCK schools now and are getting a good education. Schools are pretty good there and from people I know that have moved out of the area, to Belton, North Kansas City and Raymore, their kids are right on track with the kids out there and had to do no catching up.

I'm, unfortunately, living between KCK and KCMO right now. I would say both are pretty even. Both have their different down and up sides. If we were not planning to move out of the area then we would probably live in Platte county or KCK in the western part or the KU area.

I did laugh at your last line. I know and have seen many beautiful women , currant and former, from KCK. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My husband, from KCMO, says you must not be looking in the right place.

It's eye opening to see how people view KCK and it's people. It explains some of the comments I have gotten over the years. ("You're from there??!!" and things like that.) I've always seen KCK as a decent place to live...not the best, not the worst but a nice place that has a lot of potential.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
One of the first times I actually remember going to the Kansas side was when I got my driverís license.

A buddy and me were driving around exploring the KS side. I remember driving down metcalf and it turning into a freeway and freaking us out. You know, I-635 haha. Sounds so silly now.

Well, we somehow ended up in the quindaro area of KCK, we stopped at a gas station and a bunch of kids started yelling "whities" and walking toward the car. We got out of there and end up totally lost in northern KCK in what seemed like ozark hillbilly country to us at the time. Shacks, lots of junk in yards, aggressive dogs, narrow country looking roads, but really close to downtown KCK or maybe it was midtown, I donít know.

We finally found our way out of KCK, but that was our first real visit to the city. I remember it well. Good times.
That is both horrible and highly amusing. It's fun to explore those weird parts of the county...just keep an ear out for banjos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City