U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409

Advertisements

Nice you found photos on the internet! Jason Sudekis? I rest my case. That guy does not even claim KC, especially KCMO. He is from Kansas, not KC. He goes out of his way to say he is from Overland Park rather than just say KC. Who does that? JoCoers.... Great actor though.

BTW, my son in that photo was wearing a MU necklace. He is a huge MU fan. It's not that we are not college fans. But if you don't think a whole lot more people come to Royals games in college gear than just about any other MLB park (Atlanta Braves is probably the closest to KC). You are crazy.

Also, I sort of get UCLA, SLU, Georgetown, Boston area colleges etc. KC doesn't even have a real city college (I went to UMKC, so I know it's there). It's not the same. We have been to hundreds of Royals games and pushing a hundred games not in KC. KC fans need to forget about KU and MU and Kstate long enough to enjoy a Royals game for once. MU and KU and Kstate are great, but they are not even really KC teams. They are state teams.

I actually think the colleges out here have far more fans than KU or MU or Kstate. They are higher profile and in heavily populated areas. Boston College, MIT, Temple, Univ of PA etc. But ever been to a red sox or phillies game? Um yea, no.... It's all MLB jerseys. But I'm sure you can find a pic on the internet.

Last edited by kcmo; 04-10-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2012, 02:51 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But ever been to a red sox or phillies game? Um yea, no.... It's all MLB jerseys. But I'm sure you can find a pic on the internet.
You know why its so easy to find a picture on the internet? Because people do it. Everywhere.




Is Penn State a "real city college" in Boston, too?



Getting your panties knotted about KU gear at a Royals game is like being upset when you see all those Yankees caps at a Jets game...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Reputation: 14096
The Big 12 is not over and is not going to be over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You know why its so easy to find a picture on the internet? Because people do it. Everywhere.




Is Penn State a "real city college" in Boston, too?



Getting your panties knotted about KU gear at a Royals game is like being upset when you see all those Yankees caps at a Jets game...


Great picture! I'm going to start taking pictures to post on here just to prove kcmo wrong. I'm going to take pictures of people in college gear other than KU to prove that it's not just KU. I told my husband last night about kcmo's comments about how ONLY KU fans wear their college gear everywhere and he couldn't believe it. He is all over the Kansas City area, both sides of the state line - north, south, east and west - plus into mid Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and he says he sees Missouri gear just as much if not more than Kansas, and other college teams as well. And kcmo - yes, I most likely will wear a KU shirt to a Royals game sometime this year because it's Royal blue. It would be more of a stretch for a Mizzou fan to wear their urine yellow shirt to a Royals game because the color's not appropriate. I wouldn't wear a KU shirt to a Chiefs game, because it's not red.

So...I'm going to start noticing and taking pictures when I see college shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, Oklahoma.... Same food group
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Reputation: 2791
My best friend is flying out to DC tomorrow for a week and I told him to keep an eye out for people in college gear and report back to me. I told him about this thread and he laughed. He travels all the time and says he sees far more college gear than professional gear pretty much everywhere and that wearing sports gear at the airport is pretty much the norm due to it's comfort (just like I said). I am eager to see what he says about people wearing college gear in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
I'll ask my friend and my spouse too!!! lol.

You win you are right. People in DC wear far more college stuff than pro. You can believe what you want (or what your friends tell you).

I will believe what I have seen with my own eyes having been to every city and state many times over. I have seen games in 24 MLB parks too.

We are not going to change each other's opinions.

But once again, I never said you never see people wearing college sports stuff at airports. Stop manufacturing quotes.

All I have said all along in this debate is that a much higher PERCENT of people in Kansas (as well as many other states like AR, NE, OK, AL etc) wear college stuff than pro and because the Royals get a lot of Kansas fans, you see a lot "more" college stuff at Royals games. I don't even understand how this is debatable.

We went to two games in LA and SF and both had crowds of 35k plus and I didn't notice any college apparel of any kind. Only MLB and mostly of the teams playing. At Angles stadium, we even heard heckling where an entire section went nuts on some guy in a Dodgers jersey, so they do take notice.

At a Royals game, you can't walk down an isle or out into the concourse without seeing college stuff all over the place.

And yes, I agree with Luz. MU black and gold and well as Kstate purple looks completely retarded at Royals games, and while there is less of it, it's still dumb. At least KU is blue. But come on. Go buy a Royals shirt or ballcap.

Regardless, we are not going to change each other's minds and it looks like KU fans are very defensive about this, so we can just drop it and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But once again, I never said you never see people wearing college sports stuff at airports. Stop manufacturing quotes.

All I have said all along in this debate is that a much higher PERCENT of people in Kansas (as well as many other states like AR, NE, OK, AL etc) wear college stuff than pro and because the Royals get a lot of Kansas fans, you see a lot "more" college stuff at Royals games. I don't even understand how this is debatable.
Have you ever thought that KU fans wear gear to Royals games because they are the same color?

I dont think a higher percentage of people in KC wear college stuff to the airport. I think wearing sports gear in general is normal because of it's comfort. I am flying to the Pacific Northwest next week and will likely wear a hoodie to fly and it might very well be a KU one. But, I guess I shouldnt do that because someone might consider me to be a hick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
We went to two games in LA and SF and both had crowds of 35k plus and I didn't notice any college apparel of any kind. Only MLB and mostly of the teams playing. At Angles stadium, we even heard heckling where an entire section went nuts on some guy in a Dodgers jersey, so they do take notice.
I bet there were plenty of people wearing college gear but since it wasnt KU, you didnt notice. Since you have this bias against KU, it is going to stick out to you more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
And yes, I agree with Luz. MU black and gold and well as Kstate purple looks completely retarded at Royals games, and while there is less of it, it's still dumb. At least KU is blue. But come on. Go buy a Royals shirt or ballcap.
I'll bet if MU colors were blue and their gear was out there, you wouldnt think anything of it. A lot of people might only go to one Royals game a year so they dont want to drop $20 on a shirt or hat. I'm actually a Cardinals fan but I still support the Royals but I sure the hell am not going to buy their stuff. I might wear blue to a game though and most of my blue stuff is KU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Regardless, we are not going to change each other's minds and it looks like KU fans are very defensive about this, so we can just drop it and move on.
We're not being defensive about KU, we are being defensive because you cannot admit you have no clue as to what you are talking about. You are letting your bias against KU cloud any reasonable thought on this matter. You have it in your head that somehow out of all the colleges in the U.S. that somehow KU fans wear gear out and about more than others when that doesnt make a damn bit of sense. Think about it. What would magically make KU fans wear gear more? We dont even sell the most gear or even in the Top 10 I believe. Think about it. Really, really think about it. How in the world would KU fans just magically wear far more gear than any other school?

I have told so many people about what you say on here including MU fans and fans of other schools and they all think you are out of your frickin mind.

I think you and INOXKEEPER need to attend therapy together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
I didn't say more than any other school. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas, Alabama etc are all right there with Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, Oklahoma.... Same food group
But not Missouri? Riiiight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top