U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Reputation: 14096

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I didn't say more than any other school. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas, Alabama etc are all right there with Kansas.
But Missouri is different than any of those states? You ruin your credibility making statements like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I didn't say more than any other school. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas, Alabama etc are all right there with Kansas.
You have made it clear in other post that you think Kansas does it more than any other school. You have said it many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But Missouri is different than any of those states? You ruin your credibility making statements like this.
Well, Missouri is different culturally than Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, et al., in that it has 2 mid-major cities, though you see a lot of people in Mizzou gear in both those towns, so...

I think its likely that Kansans wear proportionally more college sports gear than people in large cities with professional sports franchises. But I don't think they wear more sports apparel in general, and I am certain that making a value judgement based upon sports preference or affiliations is not the kind of judgement that thinking people make.

People like to wear things that represent their home, where they're from, etc. Since there are no major cities in Kansas or professional sports teams, people follow college sports. It's not really hard to understand. What is hard to understand is why anyone would interpret that cultural distinction as "inferior", and the short answer is that the only reasonable explanation is bald prejudice.

It's not much different than advancing the argument that people in New York are not "cosmopolitan" enough to follow soccer the way people in "real, important, big cities" like Mexico City or Rio do and that it is somehow reflective of their generally backwards and provincial ways that they are so in to "small time", "hick" American sports like baseball and football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Well, Missouri is different culturally than Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, et al., in that it has 2 mid-major cities, though you see a lot of people in Mizzou gear in both those towns, so...

I think its likely that Kansans wear proportionally more college sports gear than people in large cities with professional sports franchises. But I don't think they wear more sports apparel in general, and I am certain that making a value judgement based upon sports preference or affiliations is not the kind of judgement that thinking people make.

People like to wear things that represent their home, where they're from, etc. Since there are no major cities in Kansas or professional sports teams, people follow college sports. It's not really hard to understand. What is hard to understand is why anyone would interpret that cultural distinction as "inferior", and the short answer is that the only reasonable explanation is bald prejudice.

It's not much different than advancing the argument that people in New York are not "cosmopolitan" enough to follow soccer the way people in "real, important, big cities" like Mexico City or Rio do and that it is somehow reflective of their generally backwards and provincial ways that they are so in to "small time", "hick" American sports like baseball and football.
My name is aragx6 and I approve of this message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
 
363 posts, read 572,084 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Well, Missouri is different culturally than Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, et al., in that it has 2 mid-major cities, though you see a lot of people in Mizzou gear in both those towns, so...

I think its likely that Kansans wear proportionally more college sports gear than people in large cities with professional sports franchises. But I don't think they wear more sports apparel in general, and I am certain that making a value judgement based upon sports preference or affiliations is not the kind of judgement that thinking people make.

People like to wear things that represent their home, where they're from, etc. Since there are no major cities in Kansas or professional sports teams, people follow college sports. It's not really hard to understand. What is hard to understand is why anyone would interpret that cultural distinction as "inferior", and the short answer is that the only reasonable explanation is bald prejudice.

It's not much different than advancing the argument that people in New York are not "cosmopolitan" enough to follow soccer the way people in "real, important, big cities" like Mexico City or Rio do and that it is somehow reflective of their generally backwards and provincial ways that they are so in to "small time", "hick" American sports like baseball and football.
How is Missouri culturally different. The only place that may be really different is Southern Missouri, though I can't judge seeing as i've never been to Southeast MO. I've been to KC and Saint Louis and they both seem more Midwestern, even the rural parts of the state aren't that different from my Nebraska hometown except that there aren't many Catholics in rural MO.

As for the whole KC college sports thing. College sports are going to be big and have fans in most cities, just like pro sports. Sure some towns are more pro centric, but you can find college fans anywhere and surprise surprise, college fans usually support pro teams. Just because i'm a nebraska fan doesn't mean I don't care about the NFL or vice versa. You can like both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top