U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times

Advertisements

Rj, I'm not necessarily doubting your stat is accurate, but it certainly doesn't measure up to my personal experience living in KC. Do you have a link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Those conferences are established in other cities. Their conference tournaments, headquarters, and history is based in other cities. The Big 12 is our conference and our city is the heart of the conference. Even if they stay together, Kansas City will be an afterthought and likely never even get consideration to host anything because they will be the new kid too the block. That will be millioins and over time, billions in lost revenue as well as ton of lost exposure.
Sounds to me that if Big 12 goes away, then forming a new conference is the way to go. Football may not have BCS tie in (although it may if they can recruit the right teams) but they can still have conference basketball tournament in KC. A b-ball conference with Kansas, Missouri and Baylor is a good start. If Texas and OK go top PAC12, then Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Baylor and then maybe a Boise State and BYU would be a good start. Boise has a good 10 year history of playing good football and BYU in addition to good football chops also has had some very good b-ball teams. If BCS requires 10 teams then add the best teams from the Mountain West and WAC, and you have a conference. Maybe not as strong as the Big12 but still a major conference and not a mid-major.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Rj, I'm not necessarily doubting your stat is accurate, but it certainly doesn't measure up to my personal experience living in KC. Do you have a link?
I can try to find it but basically every study and survey conducted on the matter has come up with the same results.

I have lived in KCMO my entire life and the only MU fans I know are the couple I work with and my neighbor. I know a few people that will root for MU if they happen to watch a game but not people I would categorize as fans. When I was in school, there might have been one MU fan in my class versus like 20 KU fans. I see KU gear on a daily basis and I may see a piece of MU gear once or twice a week and it is generally on Saturday when MU is playing in football and basketball.

I use to say, "Are you sure MU has fans because they do not appear to exist."

Some surveys have actually shown that MU has no more fans in the KC Metro area than other Big 12 schools such as Oklahoma or Texas. While I doubt that is true I dont think the percentage is much higher. I do think that changes when you get into Southeast KC such as Blue Springs, Lee's Summit since they are closer to Columbia and furthest from Lawrence. So, you live there in that area I could see your experience being different because the rare times I venture down there I see and meet more MU fans.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:05 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,573 times
St Louis is the big MU region while KC leans more towards KU

Old 09-17-2011, 10:16 AM

400 posts, read 843,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I have lived in KCMO my entire life and the only MU fans I know are the couple I work with and my neighbor. I know a few people that will root for MU if they happen to watch a game but not people I would categorize as fans. When I was in school, there might have been one MU fan in my class versus like 20 KU fans. I see KU gear on a daily basis and I may see a piece of MU gear once or twice a week and it is generally on Saturday when MU is playing in football and basketball.
Another reason why I say that many of the people who say that they don't like college sports in KC are just embittered KU haters (these people have admitted to being KU haters, so it's fair game for me to call them that). You can probably back me up RjRobb, when I say that I know very few pro sports fans who don't also like college sports. If someone likes pro sports, they almost always also like college sports. That's why when I hear someone emphatically state how much they dislike college sports, but love pro sports, it makes me think that there is some other motivation behind it. Like living in KC and hating KU so much that it makes you bitter about all college sports.

And just to carry the conversation further, the notion that college sports are "small time" and that bigger metro areas don't care about college sports like "small time" KC does, that is not true. Georgetown basketball is huge in Washington, DC. Even President Obama goes to their games. Villanova basketball and the "Big 5" (Villanova, Penn, La Salle, Temple, and St. Joseph's) is very popular in Philadelphia and is one of the best sports traditions in Philadelphia. When Miami football was doing well, they were big in Miami. There are other places like this, but the one thing that they all have in common is that the teams have a history and tradition of winning. College sports are popular where the teams have a tradition of success. In areas where the college teams have sucked for decades, no one cares. That's why KU basketball is so popular in the KC area. It's a winning program.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:23 PM

College Hockey in Minnesota, Michigan and the Northeast is another example

Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Pretty Sure College Football is headed to 4 16 team conferences and a move toward some kind of playoff (Maybe the four conference winners advance to a playoff), Syracuse and Pitt looking to join the ACC, so it looks like Big East and Big 12 are the conferences left behind.

I really think KU and MU find another megaconference, K State and Iowa State could have trouble finding a conference and Baylor will most likely be left high and dry from a megaconference.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:01 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Okay, I'm done with this, but just in my defense, DC is NOTHING like KC. There are lots of college sports fans, but you barely notice they are here, it's just a much smaller portion of the population. There are tons more fans of the sucky redskins than any college team. Actually, I see more NFL stuff from about half the teams in the league than I see of any local college team (maryland, georgetown, navy etc). There are a lot of people that like pro sports and have little to no interest in college sports and that is especially true here. I never said there are not a ton of fans in DC or Chicago or Philly. But it's a much smaller percent of the overall population. Even when you go to the sucky O's and Nat's games, you rarely see anything but MLB stuff. It might be other teams, but it's MLB. I guess you don't get that in KC because KC is not at transiet or as close to other MLB cities, but the point is that you don't see college stuff like you do in KC out here, not even close.

I would agree that KC is mostly a KU town though. I lived in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit for 8 years and would say that it's about 50/50 KU/MU.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 AM

889 posts, read 1,427,701 times
I hope you don't paint KU alums with a broad brush. Most people are good by nature, but every school has a few jerks and arrogant pr!cks. Trust me, Kansas City is looking at a huge loss of revenue if KU is left behind, which it appears KU will be. KU as an overall institution will suffer mightily if there is nothing to play for, and by extension, that hurts Kansas City.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Okay, I'm done with this, but just in my defense, DC is NOTHING like KC. There are lots of college sports fans, but you barely notice they are here, it's just a much smaller portion of the population. There are tons more fans of the sucky redskins than any college team. Actually, I see more NFL stuff from about half the teams in the league than I see of any local college team (maryland, georgetown, navy etc). There are a lot of people that like pro sports and have little to no interest in college sports and that is especially true here. I never said there are not a ton of fans in DC or Chicago or Philly. But it's a much smaller percent of the overall population. Even when you go to the sucky O's and Nat's games, you rarely see anything but MLB stuff. It might be other teams, but it's MLB. I guess you don't get that in KC because KC is not at transiet or as close to other MLB cities, but the point is that you don't see college stuff like you do in KC out here, not even close.

I would agree that KC is mostly a KU town though. I lived in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit for 8 years and would say that it's about 50/50 KU/MU.

DC is very much a pro sports city (the Redskins have one of the best fanbases in football) and since the population in DC is a lot of transplants from other areas of the country, the fanbase of different colleges and teams is going to be very diluted. It isnt like KC where most people are from here and have a tie to one of the major colleges.

Most people that are really into sports like both. If you like sports, you like sports and since both college basketball and football are on the same level of fanfare as professional sports, sports fans tend to like both. If you are a more casual fan you may prefer one over the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City