U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 AM
 
210 posts, read 348,476 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

I don't really like college sports, but I must admit, the image of kcmo passing judgment on other people's clothing is pretty funny. Are you really Tim Gunn? Admit it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
hick? comical? You are one of the most ridiculous, judgmental people I have ever come across. I dont know what kind of complex you have that makes you think that because you are not into something that it is less than you. You really must be a miserable human being to judge people that much based on their interest. Just because you have no interest in it you feel all high and mighty over those that like to represent the university they support. Guess what? It's something positive. Not something negative. I truly pity and feel sorry for you that you would put down people based on what they wear.

They are t-shirts, sweatshirts and hats and guess what? Since those people are traveling they probably choose something comfortable to wear. Most of my comfortable t-shirts and sweatshirts I would choose to travel in have sports teams on them because that is what I own. Nothing about that is comical or "hick". Hick would be someone wearing overalls and a John Deere hat.

I dont know what you think gives you the right to pass such judgment. I am sure you have interest such as photography? What if someone said that a person that walks around with a camera taking pictures is comical or threw some kind of insult?

You post on here like you know so much about KC and everything else but when I read most of your post I see a clueless naive person that thinks they know more than they do.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It looks hick out here. I think it even looks pretty stupid in KC, but it's much more out of place out here. Mayby not hick. Strong word. Just small townish or rural I guess.

And brewcrew is right about the legends. It is what it is. I took some people out there from St Louis a few months ago and that's the first thing they noticed. All the "kansas college clothing" people were wearing.

Kstate is not as bad as it used to be. Back when they had a good football team, I think they were actually worse than KU when it came to traveling in full Kstate gear.

Does it look stupid if a bunch of people are wearing Redskins gear in DC? They have one of the largest fanbases in the NFL so I am sure lots of people wear Redskins stuff at all times of year around the DC area. I would argue that just as many people wear Chiefs gear at all times of year around here as well. I even see Royals gear pretty often in the middle of summer? Is that comical? Is that hick?

What about all the people around the country that wear Yankees or Cowboys gear that arent even fans of the team? How does that look?

The only reason you are passing judgment is because it is Kansas and you have this unhealthy, ridiculous bias against anything related to that state.

Thinking back to airports, I think people wearing athletic gear is probably the most common clothing found in airports because it is usually comfortable and people like to be comfortable when they travel. I normally wear a hoodie when I travel and since I own four KU hoodies, I probably have worn them on flights. But, I probably have also worn one of my Packers hoodies and one of my Wizards hoodies. But, since those arent KU, that is okay, right?

Your judgment stems from pure bias against Kansas. You may not be able to admit but it is pretty obvious based on your history of post on here and your ridiculous opinion on people wearing KU clothing.

Saying people wearing gear supporting an athletic team is small townish is ridiculous. People all around the world wear gear of their favorite sports teams every single day.

If you went to Manchester, England would you say that all the people wearing Manchester United gear around is small townish or hick? Since Manchester United sells more gear than the entire NFL combined, you would probably see a ton of it. What about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 AM
 
210 posts, read 348,476 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Does it look stupid if a bunch of people are wearing Redskins gear in DC?
At least the Jayhawk logo and name isn't blatantly racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Does it look stupid if a bunch of people are wearing Redskins gear in DC? They have one of the largest fanbases in the NFL so I am sure lots of people wear Redskins stuff at all times of year around the DC area. I would argue that just as many people wear Chiefs gear at all times of year around here as well. I even see Royals gear pretty often in the middle of summer? Is that comical? Is that hick?

What about all the people around the country that wear Yankees or Cowboys gear that arent even fans of the team? How does that look?

The only reason you are passing judgment is because it is Kansas and you have this unhealthy, ridiculous bias against anything related to that state.

Thinking back to airports, I think people wearing athletic gear is probably the most common clothing found in airports because it is usually comfortable and people like to be comfortable when they travel. I normally wear a hoodie when I travel and since I own four KU hoodies, I probably have worn them on flights. But, I probably have also worn one of my Packers hoodies and one of my Wizards hoodies. But, since those arent KU, that is okay, right?

Your judgment stems from pure bias against Kansas. You may not be able to admit but it is pretty obvious based on your history of post on here and your ridiculous opinion on people wearing KU clothing.

Saying people wearing gear supporting an athletic team is small townish is ridiculous. People all around the world wear gear of their favorite sports teams every single day.

If you went to Manchester, England would you say that all the people wearing Manchester United gear around is small townish or hick? Since Manchester United sells more gear than the entire NFL combined, you would probably see a ton of it. What about that?
Hit a nerve eh? .

Actually, people don't really wear a lot of sports stuff at all here, unless they are going to a game. You rarely see people walking around in skins stuff. Now if you happen to catch a train that is heading toward a stadium or arena during a game or one coming from a game, then yea. But other than that, not really. Maybe a baseball cap once in a while. I would say about the only thing I see is baseball caps and I often see them with a suit. Like a yankees or philles cap.

I take that back. Baltimore Ravens fans are more visible. Baltimore is more blue collar and DC more white collar and I think that has some to do with it.

And for the love of god, I'm not saying people don't wear sports stuff at airports. It just looks silly when you see the KC gate and there are always KU people there. I can fly out of Baltimore 20 times and I might see a ravens jersey, fly out of KCI 20 times and you can fill a section at allen field house. You don't have to agree with me, but I think it looks "small townish" when a family of four is all wearing college gear at an airport be it kansas, or oklahoma or nebraska (the ones I see most).

Chiefs fans got pretty gaudy there in the early 2000's. I was a chiefs season ticket holder and so I'm a big fan. I own jerseys, but, I'm not going to drive around town with flags on the car and dress up in chiefs stuff several times a week. Where are those fans now? They are gone.

I'm not the only one that notices the KU stuff on flights to and from KC and think it's silly looking, I'm just the only one that says something about it on a public forum. . It's the same way when you fly into OKC or Birmingham or something.

And yes, my primary form of entertainment is pissing off people that like anything kansas, I guess because we see eye to eye on absolutely nothing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
^
It is really starting to irk me while waiting for flights to or from KC how much KU junk i see, i am going to start asking these people if they are alumni of this school.

I am from Wisconsin and I rarely see Badgers shirts while boarding a flight to milwaukee or even at the Chicago airports where there are lots of Badger Alumni.
Hell i barely see people wearing Badgers gear in Madison, maybe people just have a sense of style in other parts of the country but if you sit outside the cabelas or anywhere at Legends you will see hundreads of people with KU or K State college gear.
Do you hate brewcrew too? He is new to the area and he seems to have noticed what I'm talking about, although I'm sure he is more passive about it than me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Hit a nerve eh? .

Actually, people don't really wear a lot of sports stuff at all here, unless they are going to a game. You rarely see people walking around in skins stuff. Now if you happen to catch a train that is heading toward a stadium or arena during a game or one coming from a game, then yea. But other than that, not really. Maybe a baseball cap once in a while. I would say about the only thing I see is baseball caps and I often see them with a suit. Like a yankees or philles cap.

I've been too DC several times and seen tons of sports stuff of teams all over the country. In fact, do you remember footage of people outside the gates of the White House the night Bin Laden was killed? There were tons of people in sports gear out there. I remember thinking that tons of teams were represented there. People wear sports apparel everywhere in this country. To say otherwise is a bold faced lie. Again, you only mention this because it is KU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It just looks silly when you see the KC gate and there are always KU people there.
Why? What is silly about it? It is clothing. People wear clothes. People wear comfy clothes when they fly. I always see a ton of Chiefs stuff at the airport too. Is that silly? If a whole family is wearing Chiefs stuff would you call that silly or think anything of it?

My whole point is that you only find it silly or think something of it because it is KU. It isnt because they are wearing sports gear but because of the team they are representing. If it werent KU, you wouldnt think it was a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You don't have to agree with me, but I think it looks "small townish" when a family of four is all wearing college gear at an airport be it kansas, or oklahoma or nebraska (the ones I see most).
There is nothing small town about wearing sports gear especially when you are talking about a major Division I school or a professional sports team. Now, if you were talking about Emporia State or Northwest Missouri or a true small town team then you would probably be correct. But, KU is one of the top Division I schools in the country. There is nothing small town about it.

Paul Rudd, Rob Riggle, and Jason sudeikis all went to KU and have been known to wear KU gear. Is it small town when they do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Chiefs fans got pretty gaudy there in the early 2000's. I was a chiefs season ticket holder and so I'm a big fan. I own jerseys, but, I'm not going to drive around town with flags on the car and dress up in chiefs stuff several times a week. Where are those fans now? They are gone.
No, they arent gone. Maybe a slight decline because the bandwagon fans are in hiding but there are still entire vehicles decorated in Chiefs stuff and Chiefs apparel everywhere. I see it every single day. But, that isnt silly, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm not the only one that notices the KU stuff on flights to and from KC and think it's silly looking, I'm just the only one that says something about it on a public forum. . It's the same way when you fly into OKC or Birmingham or something.
Just because other close minded people share your opinion doesnt make it any less ridiculous. Do you not recognize how ridiculous it is that you are passing judgment on clothing?

On top of that you are a male judging people on what they are wearing and on top of that you are slamming people for wearing sports clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
Small town / rural meaning not the most sophisticated. Now you can tell me how much I hate and judge small town people!

As far as DC. I see probably tens of thousands of people in DC every day, on sidewalks, trains, the beltway etc, and people just don't wear a lot of sports stuff or have logos on cars (the ones that do are pro teams), even on the weekends at the local malls, but hey, whatever you want to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Small town / rural meaning not the most sophisticated.
How many people do you see that are dressed sophisticated at the airport? Maybe the occassional business person going straight to a medium from the destination airport so he is already in his suit. Other than that, you have people dressed in relaxed clothing. Arent a lot of people wearing jeans and a t-shirt/sweatshirt or shorts and a t-shirt and a long of men wearing hats? None of them are dressed sophisticated whether they have KU on them or not.

If there are two men standing next to each other and one is wearing cargo shorts, a blank blue t-shirt and a bud light hat and the other is wearing cargo shorts, a KU t-shirt, and a KU hat is the former more sophisticated than the later? If so, why? If not, you have basically just discredited yourself in this entire argument.

Point being that when people are wearing KU gear they are doing so because they are in an environment where it does not make sense to dress sophisticated (i.e. airport, shopping at Legends). The people around them are likely wearing the same type of clothes and the people you are referring too as small town just happen to have KU decals on their clothing versus other people that have other decals on the same damn clothes. Please tell me how people out shopping and at the airport need to be dressed sophisticated and how a t-shirt that doesnt have KU on it is less sophisticated than a regular t-shirt? When I was at Legends this last Saturday I was wearing jeans, a blank nike soccer jersey and a Sporting KC jacket. Was I more sophisticated in my non-KU outfit than the guy wearing a KU jacket, jeans and a t-shirt?

You have basically just proven my entire point. The only reason you think anything about this is because it is concerning KU and Kansas. If this were any other sports organization you wouldnt have a second thought about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
Once again, it seems to be more of a ku thing. I don’t really notice any other destination beside KC always having so many people dressed in college stuff unless you hit a flight with a lot of fans traveling to a game someplace. Some dude wearing a KU hat is different that seeing it all over a gate waiting area. How much longer do you really want to drag this out?

Anybody that hangs out at the Legends probably will never have a clue what I’m talking about. JUST KIDDING .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top