U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 PM

12,622 posts, read 14,633,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Once again, it seems to be more of a ku thing. I donít really notice any other destination beside KC always having so many people dressed in college stuff unless you hit a flight with a lot of fans traveling to a game someplace. Some dude wearing a KU hat is different that seeing it all over a gate waiting area. How much longer do you really want to drag this out?

Anybody that hangs out at the Legends probably will never have a clue what Iím talking about. JUST KIDDING .
Why don't you just make a recording and then you don't have to keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. You have some serious biases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
People all around the world wear gear of their favorite sports teams every single day.
Two teams from places I've never been, but have seen people wearing their sweatshirts, jerseys, etc everywhere I go: University of Michigan and Green Bay Packers. It never occurred to me that they looked stupid or hickish. It didn't make me mad. I just thought those teams had a lot of diehard fans.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
At least the Jayhawk logo and name isn't blatantly racist.
Uh oh. Now he's going to get started on how bad the Jayhawk is as a mascot, because it really stands for something terrible and malicious, and how we should be ashamed to wear it.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:28 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,496,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Two teams from places I've never been, but have seen people wearing their sweatshirts, jerseys, etc everywhere I go: University of Michigan and Green Bay Packers. It never occurred to me that they looked stupid or hickish. It didn't make me mad. I just thought those teams had a lot of diehard fans.

Yep, both of those teams have large fanbases across the entire country. I am a Packers fan living in KC which is something I inherited from my family in Iowa. The Yankees, Cowboys, Steelers are other teams that have fanbases all across the nation and you will see their stuff everyday. In fact, a day rarely passes where I dont see a Steelers decal on a car.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,001,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Uh oh. Now he's going to get started on how bad the Jayhawk is as a mascot, because it really stands for something terrible and malicious, and how we should be ashamed to wear it.
Doesn't some town in Missouri want the Jayhawk named removed because a jayhawker is actually a terrorist organization from civil war times

Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,496,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Doesn't some town in Missouri want the Jayhawk named removed because a jayhawker is actually a terrorist organization from civil war times

Yes, the same town where the high school mascot is Indians. How hypocritical is that?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:32 PM

400 posts, read 844,256 times
Well, it's official. Missouri is joining the SEC (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/06/3250932/sec-announces-mu-as-new-member.html - broken link).

I must say, I do not think this is going to be good for state line issues in Kansas City.

I think this will pull Missouri as a school and athletic program even further away from Kansas City, and will make Kansas City more of a KU town.

The Missouri side will be representing a conference full of former Confederate states from the Deep South. Not a Kansas City thing at all. Kansas City was a Union city during the war.

KU/K-State is going to be as big as ever on the Kansas side; and with Kansas City still lying in Big 12 country, not SEC country, Kansas City is going to drift toward KU/K-State in college athletics because it will be more familiar.

KU will continue to play games at Sprint Center, and those games will still draw huge crowds like they always do.

The Big 12 is going to survive, but they might pull their tournaments out of Kansas City.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
Well, it's official. Missouri is joining the SEC (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/06/3250932/sec-announces-mu-as-new-member.html - broken link).

I must say, I do not think this is going to be good for state line issues in Kansas City.

I think this will pull Missouri as a school and athletic program even further away from Kansas City, and will make Kansas City more of a KU town.

The Missouri side will be representing a conference full of former Confederate states from the Deep South. Not a Kansas City thing at all. Kansas City was a Union city during the war.

KU/K-State is going to be as big as ever on the Kansas side; and with Kansas City still lying in Big 12 country, not SEC country, Kansas City is going to drift toward KU/K-State in college athletics because it will be more familiar.

KU will continue to play games at Sprint Center, and those games will still draw huge crowds like they always do.

The Big 12 is going to survive, but they might pull their tournaments out of Kansas City.
Then why not change UMKC to University of Kansas at Kansas City???

Nobody outside of KC would have a clue it's in Missouri and KU would probably turn the school into something so much more than it is. It would also tell MIZZOU to F off since they donít seem to care about the city that much anyway.

Is this even possible? I mean University of Phoenix is everywhere.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 AM

956 posts, read 1,249,252 times
Of course it's well known that MU wanted to go to the Big 10, but that didn't happen basically because the Big 10 didn't want Mizzou, so apparently the Tigers felt the next best escape route from the Big 12 (and UT) was the SEC.
I have read that the Big 10 thinks its got the St Louis TV market covered thru Illinous U., and the Cornhuskers (now in the Big 10 of course), delivered the KC market to the Big 10 ? Anybody buy that argument that
the Big 10 didn't think it needed to ask Mizzou to join because it already had the states 2 biggest TV markets covered ?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,237,390 times
^I suppose one could argue with Illinois they get St. Louis and Nebraska they get KC, but there's really not a ton of Nebraska fans here in KC from what I've seen. From what I see in my office, it's a fairly even mix of MU, KU and KSU fans and a few Nebraska and Oklahoma State fans thrown in for good measure. There's certainly Illinois fans in St. Louis, but enough for them to feel as though they have St. Louis "covered?" I'm not sure I buy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City