Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM

68 posts, read 182,798 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to either Kansas City (Overland Park) or Oklahoma City. I grew up in Kansas but have have heard really good things about OKC. I have also noticed that Oklahoma continues to have a pretty low unemployment rate. What are some opinions out there comparing the two cities. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondoc View Post
I am considering relocating to either Kansas City (Overland Park) or Oklahoma City. I grew up in Kansas but have have heard really good things about OKC. I have also noticed that Oklahoma continues to have a pretty low unemployment rate. What are some opinions out there comparing the two cities. Thanks
I have an aunt who moved there a few years ago with her young children, from the KC area where she grew up. She said OKC is very boring, compared to KC. Maybe because there are no major league sports, or less night life? I don't know, but I've been to OKC before and it didn't seem like anything special was going on there.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondoc View Post
The fact you're even considering Oklahoma City and comparing it to Kansas City suggests Oklahoma City is the place for you. You're obviously a nice person and I believe OKC would be more friendly, homely, and down-to-earth. I think I like Tulsa better though. Oklahoma has a certain humanity lacking in Kansas City, though I'm sure that's all relative as I've heard people say the same about KC compared to the places they come from.

Anybody else wonder if unemployment rates have any correlation with whether a particular area is dominated by republican or democratic politics?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
The fact you're even considering Oklahoma City and comparing it to Kansas City suggests Oklahoma City is the place for you. You're obviously a nice person and I believe OKC would be more friendly, homely, and down-to-earth. I think I like Tulsa better though. Oklahoma has a certain humanity lacking in Kansas City, though I'm sure that's all relative as I've heard people say the same about KC compared to the places they come from.

Anybody else wonder if unemployment rates have any correlation with whether a particular area is dominated by republican or democratic politics?
Zero correlation unless you are talking about rural areas of a state that has a dominant large city like New York or Chicago. The states with higher unemployment have lower levels of educational attainment. That is the bottom line.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Here is my thoughts on OKC.

Oklahoma City vs Washington DC? Would I be able to survive in OKC???

We have a very good chance of moving there and I actually dread the idea. There is a huge difference between OKC and KC. OKC is basically the Kansas side of KC without the Missouri side. Only it's not as nice. JoCo is much nicer than anything even in suburban OKC.

I could probably get excited about moving to just about any other metro over 1 million than OKC, so it sucks that it may be our only option if we want to get away from the east coast.

Although if you are from Kansas and seem to like places like Olathe and have no real interest in KCMO or what it offers, then OKC might be just fine.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Zero correlation unless you are talking about rural areas of a state that has a dominant large city like New York or Chicago. The states with higher unemployment have lower levels of educational attainment. That is the bottom line.
My mind keeps going back to the auto-industry in the southeast that has put so many people to work. Keep in mind, less than 30% of the total adult population even has a 4-year degree.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
My mind keeps going back to the auto-industry in the southeast that has put so many people to work. Keep in mind, less than 30% of the total adult population even has a 4-year degree.
No, the Southeast has gained very few jobs in the last 10 years in relation to population growth. Therefore, the percentage of the population below poverty continues to increase. Look at the updated quickfacts census data.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Could the retired have anything to do with that?

I point to the auto industry in the south because it has created jobs and an industry that simply wasn't there before. Mostly non-unionized and who courted those companies? Surely politics that understand business and are business friendly and thus friendly to the American people as jobs are most crucial of our needs.

The south has seen real growth in population unlike the rustbelt industrial/ghetto wasteland cities that are perhaps strangled by politics.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:50 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Out of the roughly 1 million jobs in the KC area, how many of them are tied to the auto plants?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Here is my thoughts on OKC.

Oklahoma City vs Washington DC? Would I be able to survive in OKC???

We have a very good chance of moving there and I actually dread the idea. There is a huge difference between OKC and KC. OKC is basically the Kansas side of KC without the Missouri side. Only it's not as nice. JoCo is much nicer than anything even in suburban OKC.

I could probably get excited about moving to just about any other metro over 1 million than OKC, so it sucks that it may be our only option if we want to get away from the east coast.

Although if you are from Kansas and seem to like places like Olathe and have no real interest in KCMO or what it offers, then OKC might be just fine.
Out of curiosity whats the problem with DC? Is it just the COL? That it takes longer to connect to other cities not on the east coast??

I saw your original thread, why not a city like Pittsburgh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City